More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Tom:
Your Post#519: I think that my drill is the same as the bottom one in your picture. Does yours have the word "Hobbies" written in script on the cap end?
Your Post#537: I suspect that the frame in the picture is a stretcher for watercolor paper for painting. Soak the over-size sheet for 5+ minutes,
lay it over the frame, tuck the edges over the sides and grasp the edges with the clips. When dry, the sheet shouldn't buckle when one area after another is worked on.
I'd be interested to know if the size is some division of a standard watercolor sheet of 22" x 30" ((1/2 sheet size = 15" x 22" or 1/4 sheet size = 11" x 15".)

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
I bought one of those fireman type axes for a fiver at bootsale last year? Been rusting in the shed ever since,need to clean it up I think.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I found a surform file, a stonemasons hatchet, folding bucket, 3 sporks, the skin of a leather poufee and a set of 3 bone napkin rings.

I get out too much.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Excellent haul there indeed!

had a nice day out wandering around the Winfields boot near Accy, really enjoyed it despite only getting a near new mini nah lite that just needed new batteries for a quid, a Daler Rowney A5 sketch book for the same and a Cromwell tool handle for twenty P. Herself came back with a cardboard box of Denby from various stalls so I did find some treasure.

RG
yup both the all metal drills are Hobbies.

i was thinking the frame may be for paper not embroidery cloth, Exterior dimensions are 16 inch by 19 inch. No markings so far apart on one of the shorter sides there's stamped "TOP" when I tidy it up i will see if there's a makers mark or owt.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Thanks. I'd be trimming 140lb w/c paper to 17x20, maybe more, for that frame. I asked as I know an artist who uses 2-piece frames.
The lower frame looks like yours but without the clips. The upper frame is slightly larger for a snug fit over the turned down paper edges.
Worthy of a fine cabinet maker's skills which leaves me out of the running.

I use sheets of 1/2" ply and gummed 2" butcher's tape around the edges.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I'll do a better pick of the frame next time, there's like a inner lip with a corresponding slot on the other part of the frame.

a few years back I picked up a half imperial one of these for a couple of quid in a charity shop.

https://www.artsupplies.co.uk/item-perfect-paper-stretcher.htm

and this year one of these with a couple of chips, no more , for £5.

http://www.davidpotter.co.uk/portable.htm

thats really well made. Now the weathers improved so much I was thinking about relearning to sketch and then start applying paint to paper but today I feel absolutely lousy with a throat infection that's been getting worse all day.

atb

tom

gregs656

Nov 14, 2009
West Sussex
I've been looking for a bulllhead for years and you turn up (at least) 2.

The trick with car boots is finding the ones that run consistently. It is amazing what turns up.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just the two so far

image.jpg2_zps1xqmt0yb.jpg

Started picking up church key style of opener as well as they are dirt cheap, under 50p a pop when they turn up and often have interesting advertising logos. Also looking for pre war twist ( to me normal ) can openers, the only sort we used when I was a kid unless you were camping and using a SAK.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks. I'd be trimming 140lb w/c paper to 17x20, maybe more, for that frame. I asked as I know an artist who uses 2-piece frames.
The lower frame looks like yours but without the clips. The upper frame is slightly larger for a snug fit over the turned down paper edges.
Worthy of a fine cabinet maker's skills which leaves me out of the running.

I use sheets of 1/2" ply and gummed 2" butcher's tape around the edges.

Sorry for the delay, was fumigating myself out back making sulphur matches, here's a pic of the frame opened up and the top flipped over.

image.jpg2_zpskdis5prf.jpg

Not at all sure what the wood is. Oak? Anyroad I'll give it a light clean and since it will be used wet touch up where it was originally varnished

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well folks since we were over near Chorley picking up a sack of Smithys Breeze we then went on into town to see what tool and charity shops and of course see who does the good pies. It was a lovely day, bright but not too warm and herself loaded up the pack-lads up with 50 pieces of Denby for peanuts and that put her in a good mood o she took me over to Colne to see my tool guy.

He'd sorted me out a bag of 22 not worth restoring old files for me, all UK makers except one old Japanese one and a nicolnson U.S. One.

image.jpg1_zps9fzfffyh.jpg

He also rooted out a decent light weight swivel vice for her selfs jewlery making kit , a lump of very, very hard steel to use as a work surface and gave her the small doming tool that had turned up .

The charity shop across the road had in for £3.99 the Cobb frying Dish and pan, unused. I don't have a Cobb and at the price of them doubt I'll ever see one on a boot BUT I guessed right and they are a good fit to my cheepo faux Soyer Stove fish boiler thing. The frying pan just drops on and the aluminium cored base steel frying dish will fit lovely when I've snipped the superfluous handles off. If anyone wants the plastic bits to replace ones they've melted, drop me a line.

The smiths regulator goggles were £2.50, still with the label on the headband . Ok they won't get used until next winter now but you have to get them when you can.

The Sandvik Sandplate replacement blades were a few pence a packet, ditto the plastic tube and Cromwell handle, which needs a good clean. I paid £2.99 for the two books, each, as they are on subjects I need to master.

Not sure if we will get to the boots tomorrow, got loads of gardening and tooley things to do.

oh and not shown two as new issue T shirts olive, the modern wicking synthetics not the old poly cotton jobs for a pound, a quid each and a pretty much brand new French Army breathable jacket in a small size for the youngest. Materials like 1980s goretex with proper taped seams, he likes it and only £8 when surplus places are selling them for between 40 and 60 quid.

What I was looking for most , some 2inch wide by 3 mill steel strip and a foot or so of 1 inch internal dia metal tubing ( almost anything would do although on aesthetic grounds I'd be reluctant to use aluminium ) to finish off the mini forge, didn't show but I can't complain!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
For a change I actually scored some bits at one of my local boot fairs in amongst the usual tat that was on offer.

Namely 2 Feurhand paraffin lanterns, a bit rusty but at £3 for the two I'm happy to clean them up with the large brass suede brush I got for 50p :).

This is after a quick 30 second scrubbing with the brass brush, should come up pretty nicely then it'll be whether I spray them or leave them

I also got 4 awl handles for £1.50, I really should have grabbed the others he had in the box, might go back next week to see if they're still there.

Finally, I also got a 3 in hand rasp marked TT, Sheffield, Hand Cut for the princely sum of 40p. Be interesting to see what Tom says about the manufacturer. I'm actually really pleased with this as I'd set myself a goal of getting a 4 in hand of rasp from a boot fair, OK it's not a 4 but I'm happy to have got this rasp first time out looking for one :cool:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Nice haul! All I got to was Asda for the groceries :(

Most likely Thomas Turner and Co, Suffolk Works, Sheffield , famous for files and saw blades but later on renowned for their cut throat razors. Definitely in business in 1822, bought out in 1932. Some claims to have started in 1802 but it's a bit doubtful.

Could be Thomas Turton, Sheaf Works but I've never seen them with just TT.

atb

tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Saw my tool guy today, not much for me but the wife bought a load of ex Jewlers tools. For once I won't give the prices as that's her business not mine but for the quality of the stuff it was a bargain. The concave spoke shave I was going to buy he threw in as a freebie along with the the big tobacco tin.

image.jpg1_zps75ci6uro.jpg
e

Oh I got the stretching frame for a quid from the charity shop round the corner. It's really well made. Not sure what it is for .

i'll clean the tools up for himself but I'm in two minds about the concave spoke shave, the only markings are on the blade, L. BAILEY and what could be BOSTON. It's non adjustable, there's just a simple screw holding it together. From a quick google it could be from the 1840s or early 1850s, before he patented various improvements. Now I normally clean stuff up but I think that may get me lynched by the tool collectors.

ATB

Tom

No no one bid on the spokeshave so I now feel free to tart it up for a user. Just needs a quick run over with the wire wheel and a few minutes with the ceramic rods on the blade.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Too wet to do what's needed in the garden so cleaned up the Tools the wife got a week or so back, I'm rather pleased with the results, the hammer faces didn't even need polishing, just a good clean.

image.jpg1_zps9ktrst0u.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Picked up the charity shop chest of draws I bought yesterday just ski can take it apart for the oak it's made from. Parts are quarter sawn solid oak and parts are another hardwood with a thick oak vaneer. 25 quid for a awful lot of seasoned wood. I'll do a pic of the wood when I've knocked it apart, probably tomorrow now.

Then, since it's nearly my birthday and she was feeling particularly benign herself took me to my tool guy at Colne and bought me some nice bits, a just about new Record No. 071 router plane, just the job for doing the slots for those siding lid boxes I have planned, a set of rather nice UK Marples Wood sculpture Tools (M260 set of five) plus three more Marples gouges, delicate things, and a Weller Woodburning iron kit ( just one tip used ). He chucked in free the bits I ferreted from the boxes, a pair of log dogs ( not slaters anvils this time!) a pin hammer and a nail puller with a good near 90 degree bend to it.

Photos to follow when im recovered!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Note to all
when knocking apart a drawer with the aid of your middle son, you holding the back down while he knocks the front off upwards after having removed the sides, make sure that he is copying what you did with the first draw by holding onto the draw front with the hand not wielding the comedy sized rubber mallet so when the front finally flies off it does not hit you in the face leaving you with a black eye....

The 1930s glue is brittle as anything and a few blows is all its taking for it to come apart.

atb

Tom ( slightly concussed )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE