More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
All Lord of the Rings stuff, a real mix of factions, 34 of the boxes of 12 or 10 plastic figures, a vast number of metal character figures, metal command groups etc etc. oddly no cavalry / warg riders or mounted characters just vast numbers of foot , a cave troll and a couple of ballistas. It took two of us about 5 hours to sort them into the original sets, bag them and write the names they were sold under.

I couldnt believe how how much there was of it. I've rejuvenated all the paints , they hadn't dried out but had started to thicken so I've topped them up with a mix of isopropyl alchahol and boiled water, add a couple of steel BBs and shaken them until they were the right consistency again.

So now we need to photograph them all, Write the blurbs and get them on, about 110 separate sales. There's also 30 or 40 metal figures the guy did paint, badly, so I'll break the bases off ( there's a load of spares ) and drop them into the isopropyl alchahol and strip them.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
My tool guy at Colne had nowt for me but we had a nice chat and he hinted, well blatantly told me, he'd got some stuff lined up for me that should make me a very happy bunny....

oh i did pick up a pair of binos in a charity shop for five pounds.

image.jpg1_zps3cvfypnu.jpg

Yup, genuine Carl Zeis Jena 10 x 50s. Proper 7 number serial, metal focussing disc etc etc. I think I have a unissued leather army bino case in the to eBay that will fit them which I will dig out. I may have them professionally cleaned as I wouldn't want to b@gger them up doing it myself with a tooth brush and bottle of isopropyl alchohol. Lovely clear lenses.

Also got 150 grams of Patons Untreated Eco Wool chunky for £2 that herself has said she will turn into a hat for me.

ATB

Tom

ps any advice on getting them cleaned most gratefully received, ball park prices, who does a good job, etc etc. I've never had it done before.

Last edited:

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Nice find! I've got the very same pair (unless someones nicked 'em from me caravan!) Bought them new in 1978 from Dixons in Shopping City, Runcorn in Cheshire. £76- bloody fortune then. They're as good now as they were then. Best pr of binos I've ever had. Keep 'em and look after them- they'll see you out and in and all around lol.
ps to you too! I would have thought a photographic shop would be the port of call - get an estimate rather than a shock, first though.
Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, good to hear that.

this is at least my third pair of Zeis I've picked up for £5. The first pair were a sand colour 7 x 30s that someone had brought home from the war and I stuck them on eBay, The second pair are some lovely condition 7 or 8 x 30s , I forget which, with the clearest lenses I've ever used. I still need to make the case a new strap.

I've been looking at the net and so far the cheapest cleaning service I've found want at least £50 to clean and service. I'll poke my nose in the local camera shops and ask if they do cleaning. They are perfectly usable but there's a bit of muck on the inside.

atb

tom

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Cheers, good to hear that.

this is at least my third pair of Zeis I've picked up for £5. The first pair were a sand colour 7 x 30s that someone had brought home from the war and I stuck them on eBay, The second pair are some lovely condition 7 or 8 x 30s , I forget which, with the clearest lenses I've ever used. I still need to make the case a new strap.

I've been looking at the net and so far the cheapest cleaning service I've found want at least £50 to clean and service. I'll poke my nose in the local camera shops and ask if they do cleaning. They are perfectly usable but there's a bit of muck on the inside.

atb

tom

Well some people have all the luck! Iv been after a pair for quite awhile now. But so far iv not come across any locally to me. Yet you have come across three pairs !!!
Never mind. I will find some one day. I'm betting that once I do. I will come across for than one pair !

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Oh aye, it's taken 12 years from finding the first to the third and I do hve the time to look a couple of times every week. I've also picked up almost new but lesser brands for me and the 3 lads so we all have 10 x 50s and pocket sized jobs, all for under a tenner a go. Once these new ones are cleaned and cased my old 8 x 50s can go and live permanently under the passenger seat in the car as I've so often regretted not having them when suddenly something interesting has come along.

Mind that's not to say I've not seen other Zeis but I'm a cheap git so if they had been above 20 quid I would have put them back! The trick is to look often or develop a relationship with the staff who'll keep them back for you for first refusal.

Got up too late so no boot fo me today. Got plenty to do apart from ebaying to pay for buying more tools. Found I had one piece of antler that may make 8 scales thick enough to make the teath of a comb from. Need to mask up, connect the shed Hoover and cut it up on the band saw before starting with the hand tools. But after doing the family a belated huge full English.

atb

Tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi all

I ventured out this morning and had a good day :cool:

I bought two pairs of boots for a fiver!! Replay and Firetrap!! The replay are like carpet slippers to wear! Never had anyhting as comfy!!

kPgVTxP.jpg

Err.. Yep! They are supposed to look this shabby!!:eek:

odumXWv.jpg

A Jones sewing machine for £25 (For my lads antique stall!)..

pSBawPJ.jpg

tNtbbPS.jpg

A boxed Mio Moov V505 for a fiver! No chargers but seems fine as it charged up on mine..

X6sTkBl.jpg

vvCaXYh.jpg

Turnscrews- Three for a quid!!

UWBKrqW.jpg

Millions of screws (I was told a billion times not to exagerate :p) in a Stanley case for a fiver!!

nOT2q2V.jpg

KWwJhCT.jpg

I may indeed have a run out in the morning too!!

Regards, John :)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
OK, great - I'll have a look in the Glory Hole tomorrow and see what jumps out to bite me.................

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Saw my tool guy today, not much for me but the wife bought a load of ex Jewlers tools. For once I won't give the prices as that's her business not mine but for the quality of the stuff it was a bargain. The concave spoke shave I was going to buy he threw in as a freebie along with the the big tobacco tin.

image.jpg1_zps75ci6uro.jpg
e

Oh I got the stretching frame for a quid from the charity shop round the corner. It's really well made. Not sure what it is for .

i'll clean the tools up for himself but I'm in two minds about the concave spoke shave, the only markings are on the blade, L. BAILEY and what could be BOSTON. It's non adjustable, there's just a simple screw holding it together. From a quick google it could be from the 1840s or early 1850s, before he patented various improvements. Now I normally clean stuff up but I think that may get me lynched by the tool collectors.

ATB

Tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
I had a bumper day this morning!!

The Machete is a Tramontina make, The axe is an ARPAX (y)

Kj5f5Po.jpg

The pliers and side cutters are rubbish, Should have left them really but the Bedford socket wrench is loveley and smooth in both direions, The Stainless Whitby clipoint lockback is a lovely knife :cool:
The adjustable spanner says 'Abingdon' on one side and 'War Finish' on t'uther!!

ZTk3FWM.jpg

I've collected watches for over 40 years and have probably almost 3,000 but forgot to put one on this morning, I was lucky and dropped on a boxed Jacky Ickx Easy Rider in 'as new' condition and running superbly since this morning, A mechanical Cronograph with date and stopwatch complications..

losAErs.jpg

jVSiXor.jpg

Also bought a Working Seiko LED watch with original bracelet (That's too small!!)...

0pit2eL.jpg

An unopened tin of .177 Hobby flathead pellets for a couple of quid!!

L18o8x5.jpg

These are invaluable in a workshop!! (A fiver for all three wall charts!!)

69PxHsH.jpg

LCDJHha.jpg

map6egB.jpg

I bought another SatNav, A Navman this time for £1.50, I thought it was no good as when I put it on charge it wouldn't fire up for ages! (At least 30 mins before it started up!!) Seems fine now! The in car charger fell in bits before I got basck to my car!! :eek:

jPIVMjV.jpg

SlvW8HW.jpg

I've wanted one of these for years! Got this with batteries for two quid!! It's great to see it working, Even get a flash from the spark plugs on the ignition cycle! :D

mEISW4R.jpg

A couple of books for ID'ing breeds of dogs/cats, £1 for both!!

ytWRFHS.jpg

A fantastic print of the Abbeydale Industrial Hamlet which is just round the corner from me!! Love this :cool:

N6xymI5.jpg

A nice leather belt for £2.....

VGTe4ma.jpg

I also bought another set of Binoculars but my lad claimed them!! :)

Cheers, John :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE