More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Bloody hell, enough files for a lifetime. what are you making?

I can just imagine the look on her face, LOL.

It would seam a collection of Sheffield engineers files from long defunct companies looking at that pic. Saying that, ones US made, 3 are Swedish, 2 are Portugese , 1s German and ones from Finland. I do use them, but tend to ponce about after wards cleaning them up. I'm trying to get sets of 3 grades of rough ness for the big 14 to 18 inch suckers and the 10 inchers. The saddo in me would really like to find some early hand set files. The idea of a guy hunched over taping away to make each tooth some how appeals.

off to K Steels in the valley now to get a quart of oil and some more Python handles for 7th and 10th along.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well folks I was dragged from my warm, snuggly, pit at Oh god hundred this morning by herself, who is not usually the keenest to go carbooting (narrowly beating the surly before one 14 year old) Anyhoo my surplus tool guy was there and, although the individual bits would have added up to about 13 quid by my hairy maths, he charged us £10 for this little lot.

Carboot050114_zps25ad6591.jpg

Two unissued waxed canvas tool rolls (he had at least 2 more when we left) for drill bits and such. Now on a radiator to thoroughly dry out before i use 'em.

Next is a lovely unissued/unused 32 inch long 2 and 1/4 inch scotch eye auger, Arrow marked in a couple of places and dated 1941. Its a Hedgehog Trade Mark job which means its by the famous tool makers of Cannock, Cornelius Whitehouse. I am chuffed to bits with it! When asked he wanted 5 for it which is a bargain before he rounded down for the rounded wife.

Herself put in the pile the steel block thing, also arrow marked and dated 1944. "369" is stamped on it whether as a part number or a contractors code I don't know. I'll see if any more markings apear when it's cleaned up. Its not been used just badly stored. Well look out for any matching blocks when we next go.

Below that is a handfull of big corks I thought may come in handy some day. They are just too big to fit on the SRD jugs I store oils in, mind you that may be just to give a tight fit as they are pretty close. Could be for anything, I know.

Last off is a unisued "Rope, Heel, small, Mk 4 with shackle" dated 1944. As used for picketing military horses and mules. Although we don't have horses herself in her youth was horsey and as a reaction to having to stand around various army surplus shops, draughty hangers piled full of ancient military kit etc started picking up the odd bit of surplus saddlery, especially related to pack saddles. All nice unissued stuff that's squirreled away for possible future use. The main things she is missing are the big panels but I'm sure we'll turn some up one day. The vast majority of our forces stock of pack saddles was sold off to Chile way back when. I also read a few warehouses full of ex UK tack was destroyed after the 2nd Gulf War when we were getting rid of Saddams assets.

Anyway a small if good haul this time, the chap said he would be getting in some military stoves next week, must ask if he ever gets Soyers turning up.

ATb

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, I think it may be for tensioning a wire picket rope, partly as it looks a bit like one in a iliustrated Vocabulary of Army Stores for saddlery(I think thats what VAOS means) I scanned in and partly as it turned up with a couple of those heel rope things. It looked a handy little thing anyway. For some reason, possible harking back to her dark days as a caver, she has always wanted her own Turfer. Post three kids and 20 years of my cooking shes now more shaped for a burrow than a cave, the sort on Wimbledon Common.... (I will pay for that!)

ATB

Tom

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I know of the rope "heel" as you describe it, to be a hobble for a horse. I have one in the shed identical. Nice finds though. My local carboot is having a holiday until March.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers. luckily herself has picked up a few pre war training manuals otherwise we would be mightily confused by some of the bits we have aquired on spec'. Its strange, some bits there are tons of floating about the surplus market and some things like P.G.S. breast collars are like hens teeth yet you can get any number of P.G.S. breechings or P.A. breast collars. for next to nowt. you'd assume they were ordered in some sort of ratio. Its the big panels, for P.G.S. and P.A. we are hoping will turn up one day and a PGS tree. She has the big frame for a Pack Ammuntion saddle, (once I have found what I did with the screws and bolts after I took it apart to do up, oops).

ATB

Tom

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Those tool rolls are a great find. I use one to keep my whittling tools in. The individual pockets are quite narrow, so I unpicked a few of the dividing seams to make pockets big enough to fit my tools in.

Z

Sent from here using this.

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Since I had to stay in anyway i spent some time cleaning up the carboot finds.

CleanedUpTools2013_zps7b2baf99.jpg

I had a couple of No. 3 Python Safety handles in store so I will be fitting them after tea. The awl handle has been sanded and will now spend 24 hrs soaking in linseed oil.

This pair of pliers, are they meant for a specific job as they are somewhat different to the run of the mill side cutting wire cutters.

CleanedUpTools2014_zpsd65d2c2a.jpg

ATB

Tom

those pliers look similar to the ones my wife uses on stained glass. They are used to cut the front of the lead strip off when dismantling panels for restoration.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Very interesting. That's something that's never occurred to me. I have in the past picked up a couple of sizes of crows foot marked glass breaking pliers. I assume back in the 1940s there were still plenty of leaded windows that would need work on even if they weren't doing stained glass ones. Mind you you never know. For no good reason I picked up a set of army, not navy, marked caulking tools once. Saying that the army had some boats I suppose.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Hi

I've not been to the bootsales in ages and am sure i'm suffering withdrawal!! ;)

Here's some of the stuff that i've found at them!!

Dunno why I need so many bandsaws!

atool5.jpg

Actually, the Clarke was off Fleabay but I had another from the bootsales that I gave away ;)

Centrix1_zpsfe3e66b4.jpg

carbootystuff6.jpg

toolsshaftingpicador.jpg

This saw was £5! I thought it would oprbably be kaput but wow!! it powerful!!

CBMitresaw_zps3ac55c88.jpg

A tenner for this planer/jointer, also working fine :cool:

CBPlaner_zpsa4e46164.jpg

I can't wait for the bootsales to open round my way again!! :dancer:

John :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Lovely! I wish I had your confidence in buying power tools second hand. I've had a few old Skool B & D drills for a couple of quid each to power various things like their lathe but I shy of risking anything more. I had the offer of a proper big tennon cutting drill thing for , I forget, 30 or 40 quid and neshed it. Although we never got as far as a price the tool man I get most stuff from now has a gas powered forge, pretty new looking from the photos to get rid of but it's far more than I need or could house. Herself was keener than I was after I discovered it wasn't the small hand cranked portable farriers job I could store inside and carry out back on sunny days to have a pay with.

ATB

Tom

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Picked up a Hitachi router from one years back, bearings were noisy, opene them up new grease and its still going strong 10 years later.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just finished cleaning the storage rust and cosmolene off the 2 1/4 inch scotch eye auger. Took 5 mins with the wire wheel. I think I'll get some chemical blacking to help with the rust prevention as its one of those tools that i suspect will mainly sit in stores (although I'd love to have some nice big lumps of hardwood to make something beeeeg from). I found a chip on one cutting surface under the cosmo' so spent half a hour filing it out , sharpening it all and polishing the working end.

they are quite dear to buy new....

http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=109

Eeeeeep!

ATB

Tom

johnbaz

Nomad
Mar 1, 2009
Sheffield, england.
www.flickr.com
Just finished cleaning the storage rust and cosmolene off the 2 1/4 inch scotch eye auger. Took 5 mins with the wire wheel. I think I'll get some chemical blacking to help with the rust prevention as its one of those tools that i suspect will mainly sit in stores (although I'd love to have some nice big lumps of hardwood to make something beeeeg from). I found a chip on one cutting surface under the cosmo' so spent half a hour filing it out , sharpening it all and polishing the working end.

they are quite dear to buy new....

http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=109

Eeeeeep!

ATB

Tom

Jeepers!! they are expensive :eek:

BTW, those two dog cramps you found, we used to use them at work for fastening two halves of coreboxes together!!

They were much quicker that the threaded rod or long bolts and i'm sure, much cheaper too!!

Cheers, John :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE