More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Didn't wake until 1/4 to 10 after briefly surfacing at 7.30 and thinking, nah, it's too early to wake the kids on a Sunday so I think most of the good stuff had gone by the time we sloped up to the carboot.

image_zpscab17a1b.jpg

The 9 foot by 4 foot piece of Heavy cotton was actually £2, the shiny new Marples UK folding metre rule was £1.50, the two USA made staple lifters were 10 bob the pair, the new issue stencil brush the same, as was the auger adapter thingy.
This ones up for grabs but since I've been repeatedly been told I'm being stupid letting them go for cost this one can go for the most interesting swap I'm offered by the end of Tomorrow. I'm always looking for pure wool and flax linen, veg tan leather, ( I'm not expecting huge bits ) or stuff folks have made them selves. No big fuss if no one wants it as ill keep it myself happily.

Now the thing on the far right ( unless you are on a iPhone or ipad then it will be far left ) I got for £2 to use as a stake or swage . It's marked with a crows foot and " Wilks Bros and Co Ltd " on one face and "7/1609" on the other. The rod is actually a very thick walled tube with a countersunk on both sides hole through it at the far end. i was wondering if it was meant to slide onto a rod fixed on a bench and and be pinned into place and was a stand for working on some sort of engine part or gun? If I'm lucky when I attack it with the wire wheel some more clues will be revealed. Anyone know what it is?.

ATB

tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Loving the Auger Tom -dibs if you ever want to get rid of that beauty!

The Auger adaptor Tom is offering is a work of absolute genius btw. I have used the one he kindly traded me and it fits all of my brace and bit auger bits (of which I have about 30 :eek:). Really useful bit of kit and one I have never seen before

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cool, he often has repeats so if he does I'll pick it up. I'd love to get to the place it's all stored but I guess that would bankrupt us. He says there's two floors of a mill and a cellar stuffed full of tools and spares, he's not been able to get on the top floor yet, the ground ones so packed full he claims! It may be wild exaggeration but it sounds hopeful!

cheers!

Tom

PS already been offered cash for the adapter so if no one offers me a decent swap by the end of Monday they get it for cost plus postage. No more cash offer please.

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Cool, he often has repeats so if he does I'll pick it up. I'd love to get to the place it's all stored but I guess that would bankrupt us. He says there's two floors of a mill and a cellar stuffed full of tools and spares, he's not been able to get on the top floor yet, the ground ones so packed full he claims! It may be wild exaggeration but it sounds hopeful!

cheers!

Tom

That's be grand Tom if he has another I'd say yes please :)

If you ever get access to the mill, pack more than a lunch - that's a trip I'd love to join you on. If I brought my buddy, I bet he'd make more money than a day car booting!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Although its nearly all tools and small spares/consumables he brings its pretty random. Some weeks nowt changes but others its like gold mine and all you can see is the raised backsides of rows of middle aged to elderly men sifting through box after box of greasy steel.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers! Ill clean it up today as I have to wait in for the sharps I have on order anyroad. Courier tracking says they got to Preston about 5 AM. It's good to see my midlife crisis has been relatively inexpensive and in keeping in line with all my other fads!

Since no one offered me a shiny swap the 3rd Auger adapter is off to a new home for cost cash, sigh.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Tom, that mystery item is for ropework, laying and parcelling rope....I think

Aghhh! I get you now! A rope workers serving mallet! Well fancy that!

http://www.maritimeheritageeast.org...ework/tools-of-the-sailmaker-rigger-sasailors or some

Very well spotted!. I've also got three sizes of all steel marline spikes surplus and a set of caulking tools and tar ladle, Don't ask me why I got the latter, apart from they were cheap.

i assume the hole was for a lanyard.

Thanks!

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well I dragged the revolting peasents out to get there for the tool stall at 8.30 but for once he hadn't set up and was still sucking on his 2nd rollee of the day looking like death warmed up! Any hoo I blew £2.50 on a nice unissued US made ball pein, some rust from the storage but straight from the box. Then we went through each ammo box as it was put out and Since I think they are having a affair Herself got the rest of this lot for £5 total.

19012014Carboot_zpsb84053df.jpg

The shears things are slightly used and quite rusty but should clean up well, they are Gilbow Sheffield made. The second heel rope is i think for ebay and will probably pay for all the rest. The screwdriver thing is rather weird, it has a lifting arm thing in the centre that raises when you push the ring near the ferule down. I'm rather chuffed with the litre tin of contact adhesive, I paid through the nose for the last tiny one I got. Bought on its own he said it would be £3.

Not a bad haul and he's promised to dig out some new stuff for next time.

I'll do after photos when i get some more citric acid to do the deep derusting.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well I dragged the revolting peasents out to get there for the tool stall at 8.30 but for once he hadn't set up at six ish and was still sucking on his 2nd rollee of the day looking like death warmed up! Any hoo I blew 2.50 on a nice unisuued US made ball pein, some rust from the storage but straight from the box. Then we went through each box as it was put out and Since I think they are having a affair Herself got the rest of this lot for £5 total.

Not a bad haul and hes promised to dig out some new stuff for next time.

I'll do after photos when i get some more citric acid to do the deep derusting.

ATB

Tom

The blocks are stunning Tom - worth at least a tenner!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I've no idea why she wants them except to go with that ratchet job she got last time. As it happens I did pick up a roll of new sisal rope of the right diameter from a charity shop for a quid a couple of weeks back.

ATB

Tom

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
There used to be a chap on Needham market and woolpit carboots selling stuff like this, only see him at the steam rallies now which is a great shame.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've no idea why she wants them except to go with that ratchet job she got last time. As it happens I did pick up a roll of new sisal rope of the right diameter from a charity shop for a quid a couple of weeks back.

ATB

Tom

Hope its a long roll - rigging 4:1 eats rope. Shame there isn't an eye on one of the blocks as well as a hook - could make a fantastic portable rig. I use mine a LOT. The ratchet job was a fencing wire tensioer from looking - different thing:confused:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
I think it said 30 metrers before i threw the label away. Aye i'm looking for a single wheel block thingey with a eye on it as well as a hook but its pot luck what turns up. At least they are new if old and not battered!

i'm just having a mess about cleaning it all up. I just love the big wire wheel on the bench grinder! I can only go so far as I've run out of citric acid for soaking and getting into the nooks and crannies. By the by is there any stuff I can soak the aluminium bits in to get rid of the oxidisation I can't get to?

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
By the by is there any stuff I can soak the aluminium bits in to get rid of the oxidisation I can't get to?

ATB

Tom

Hmmm strong acid would dissolve it. Strong alkali as used in electrolysing solution would also damage it (ask me how I know :(). Nothing springs to mind with aluminium

30m is loads - that should give you a 20' travel if you use all the rope - more than enough for most tasks :)

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers, I'll give it a go with the citric acid when I get more powder. I've found a very cheap source, but their supplier is temperamental. They get it in 25 kg drums and split it themselves into 1 kg bags with almost no mark up, but they have been waiting on a restock since before Xmas. I'm loathe to order any off eBay or get reamed at Wilkinsons for a tiny tub for 99p.

atb

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
How about using the chelating thing with black treacle that Big Stu posted a while back to get the rust off the ally? I've done some billhooks and axe heads and it's worked a treat - and non-destructive...........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE