More carboot tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
It looks interesting and I do happen to have a stone jug ful of blackstrap molasses in the shed fridge that's probably not fit for human, or our, consumption it's been there so long. But it looks a very slow process.

cheers!

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Ok, I de rusted this odd screwdriver herself got and here's a couple of pics of the mechanism. Does anyone know what it's for. The arm that rises isn't that strong being quite fine at the end,

image_zps0dabee34.jpg

image_zps26089684.jpg

Theres grooves on the tip of the blades underside and on the corresponding part of the central arm on top.

any ideas?

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
cheers for the thoughts. Not being one to wait i have the alluminium pickling in some strong vinegar, I'll give it over night, then I will Autosol it with a toothbrush tomorrow, wash it then regrease it before reassembling the pulleys.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
After about 3 hrs I checked the aluminium bits and since all the corrosion had gone I washed them off good and proper and gave them a quick buff with a soft wire brush and they were done. I greased them up and reassembled them and here they are along with the steel wire tensioner thingy that I wire brushed, oiled, re brushed and wiped down.

image_zps9a3022bf.jpg

atb

Tom

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Lazarus job.........Those look as though they'll give good service all over again, very nice to see stuff re-born.......

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Its nice to see new things brought back to use again, I am also please to see the molasses method being used, yes it is slow but does a nice job with now worries.. drop in an forget for a while :)

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
When I have something delicate to de rust next I will definately having a go with the molasses!

In the meantime at the other end of the scale I soaked the 14" Gilbow shears in a strong hot citric acid solution for a couple of hours, dried it and then attacked it with the big wire wheel on the bench grinder during the advert breaks in Stargate Atlantis last night. I then touched up the cutting edge with some diamond files/cards and tightened the nut, this time not forgetting to pean the newly exposed screw threaded end of the bolt back down onto the nut.

Looking it up its actually a "right hand universal tinsnip" RRP £60 odd although you can get them for a lot less if you shop about. Anyroad my point is for about half a hours work and about 50ps outlay I have a realy useful tool!

carbootshears_zpsf47bdbec.jpg

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They are all looking great Tom - The blocks still look the best to me since the wire tensioner is a "disposable item" and I have nice tin snips :)

Still intrigued by that screwdriver mind you!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
uwwww, you cant have too many tinsnips!

TinsnipsRoll_zpsd9625d06.jpg

Apart from 3 of the Wiss jobs all have been from carboots or for peanuts from a closing down old school hardware shops. tell I lie, the red ones 6th from left where salvaged from a closing down HMC&E post room along with boxes of HMSO sealing wax and weighing scales...

I still can't pin her down why she wants the blocks, all I can make out is a mumbled "Wanna Turfer..." I think its something to do with the repeated bangs on the head and oxygen starvation back when she was a caver with the D.C.C....

ATB

Tom

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As you and I both know, "want" is sufficient reason :) You should ask her if she would like to see a picture of my wire stretchers - the damn things would not look out of place in a torture chamber - really bizarre looking kit (they work well though). I want a set of monkey strainers but have never found any at a price I would pay.

Loving the tinsnips with pale blue handles (third to fifth from the left) - they are sweet!

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
All over. A lot of times you come back with nowt except a narked off family who have only just not lynched you by the stategic use of hot spam and egg sandwiches from the burger van! Also its worth developing relationships with the more professional carboot stall holders, The chap on the main market we go to will look for stuff you want and not put it out until you have had a look at it yourself.

I must admit I have had a good run of late. But Ive had so many disapointing trips as well.

It does help knowing how to restore stuff or perhaps more importaantly judge what needs a lot of work and whats just cosmetic. Those £120 tailors shears I scored for 50p looked terriable at first glance but it was all surface rust, no pitting at all and it polished off and the things were obviously brand new!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yup, I'm temped to put up some hooks and have them like flying ducks across the wall....

Ah ha! its Tirfor not turfer

http://www.tractel.com/en/series.php?id_serie=47

And she thinks I like weird stuff. What she wants to pull I dont know.

To me thats a "come along" got a three tonne one in the shed :) Very, very handy bit of kit - easily adapted to fencing (great for pulling stock fencing if you hitch it up to a bar). I understand your good lady's desire completely (that sounds SO wrong :))

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
image_zpscab17a1b.jpg

Now the thing on the far right ( unless you are on a iPhone or ipad then it will be far left ) I got for £2 to use as a stake or swage . It's marked with a crows foot and " Wilks Bros and Co Ltd " on one face and "7/1609" on the other. The rod is actually a very thick walled tube with a countersunk on both sides hole through it at the far end. i was wondering if it was meant to slide onto a rod fixed on a bench and and be pinned into place and was a stand for working on some sort of engine part or gun? If I'm lucky when I attack it with the wire wheel some more clues will be revealed. Anyone know what it is?.

Looks like a steel serving mallet for putting on wire servings. Generally used to cover splices and protect (wire) rope from chafe.
This sort of thing but using wire instead of spunyarn for the serving.
man_boy_nares_556px.jpg

Like this
IMGA0985-300x225.jpg

The wire would destroy a wooden serving mallet in no time.

One on ebay here...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE