mora too thin?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mattw4466

Oct 13, 2006
needham,ma, usa
Are moras too thin for any bushcraft activities such as battoning or anything else. Would it be a fool idea to have this be your main carry when practicing bushcraft or in a survival situation? They are not full tang either which is not a desirable characteristic? Thanks guys.

leon-1

mattw4466 said:
Are moras too thin for any bushcraft activities such as battoning or anything else. Would it be a fool idea to have this be your main carry when practicing bushcraft or in a survival situation? They are not full tang either which is not a desirable characteristic? Thanks guys.

Nope, Mora's are one of the finest knives that you can buy, I have many knives and the Mora is amongst them (both the 760 and the clipper) and I would be happy to suggest to anyone starting out on the bushcraft role to use either.

In some ways the thinness of the blade is actually an advantage. What I can say is that they are good with a baton (I have used one a lot for this), they have a good edge, they most definitely are good for carving and they are good for food prep.

There is not a lot more that you need from a knife, effectively it cuts and cuts well in pretty much all roles that you can put it in.

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Like everyone says, the Mora is the best for the price. Mors Kochanski was a big advocator of the Mora's abilities. I've batonned with mine, carved small deadfalls, split kindling, and brought down a few saplings.

If anything, buy the 3-3/4 inch one, and also order the 6 inch blade without a handle (Like I have), and design a handle that suits you for the big boy :cool:

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Many other expensive survival knives are more likely to crap out on you before your Mora.

Apart from when you really need an axe or parang the Mora is the top value for money choice. It is my number one choice

As for the tang somewhere on this site is a thread about a Mora handle angle grinded off to show you how long and how secure it is.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Moras rock!
I have used Moras for everything - tho for extra heavy work my ax is used, or a saw! - they are great for carving (most of my knife handles are whittled with one), general camp chores, cooking, leather work and one even lives by my sewing machine for unpicking faulty work. Their lightness is a big advantage - no need to grow muscles like arnie just to whittle, they do not add too much to your load and can be worn hanging off a jacket button (I dont like things around my neck!). Despite the shortish tang they stand up to battoning etc very well and even rehandled ones I have made and used show no sign (yet) of weakness.
They take a great edge, hold it well and are pretty much the rotwielers reproductives! and cheap too!
John

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mora's are excellent tools. They're strong but just flexible enough, keep their edge, and are a good shaped blade. I believe many of the schools hand them out to their students and it's not just because they're comparatively cheap :)

cheers,
Toddy

buckley

Nomad
Nov 8, 2006
United Kingdom
Not that I advocate this, as it will ruin you knife and is generally a stupid thing to do, but my mate drove his mora right up to the handle in an dead tree standing, then proceed to use it as a foot peg, it took all his weight with no lasting damage!

Quality knife, if you are going to use it for prepping food, get the stainless steel clipper, as it won't tarnish as quickly as the carbon steel. I think I have about 5 of these knives dotted around the place, great for honing (excuse pun) your sharpening and carving skills etc.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Yup another vote for the mora

I also have a WS woodie and in some cases the mora outperforms it.
Battoning is no problem and for things like food prep it is much better due the thinner blade.
And at £6 i don't really care what happens to it (not that it isn't looked after)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Don't top chefs recommend and use carbon blades? My sabatier chefs blade is carbon, has a glorious patina and no rust. My mora only showed signs of corrosion after I forgot to clean it after cutting Choc caramel shortbread and even then soon cleaned up with wire wool - 000 grade - and honing oil, and was as good as new. I personally prefer carbon to stainless for everything except canoe rescue knives as they tend to look better, seem to sharpen easier (or is that just my bias?) and "feel" better. The carbon Moras are cheap, look great (especially re-handled and vinegar treated, and with a new sheath all afordable "first projects" as the Moras are so inexpensive) and do the biz.
When re handling I use the "Henry rabbet" or rebated 2 piece handle system, generally carving end rebating the wood using another Mora bladed knife!
I love these knives, though I do have (many) others.
Remember folks, not only Frosts produce knives in Mora, E Jonsson, amongst others do as well and you can get Mora laminated carbon blades cheap as well - if you know where to look!
The Frosts green plastic handled, carbon steel bladed knife is still a real winner and well worth the dosh!
John

chrisvreugd

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2005
Netherlands
and also order the 6 inch blade without a handle

you can get Mora laminated carbon blades cheap as well - if you know where to look!

where can I find blades without handles? would like to make my own handle.

I have a frost mora to, and I love it also perhaps it the only thing I can afford...

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
Despite having a really nice handmade knife - Stuart Marsh I take twio knofe with me when out and about; standard Mora for food prep and a clipper for everything else.

Can't recommend them enough.

David

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
moduser said:
Despite having a really nice handmade knife - Stuart Marsh I take twio knofe with me when out and about; standard Mora for food prep and a clipper for everything else.

Can't recommend them enough.

David

Hi David,

Sorry to do this again, but AndyP is waiting for payment over at BB for the Goloks. Please check your PMs over their.

I'm really not an Internet stalker! I just don't want you to miss-out on this one :D

Best regards,
Paul.

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
I bought my first Mora about four years ago as I wanted a knife that I could use and abuse and it would not matter if it broke.

Well, I am still using and abusing it and it aint broke yet. :)

I hope I don't regret saying this. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE