Modified Desert Smock

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.

Aristotle

Nomad
Jan 13, 2010
437
342
NW England
Rather than buying an off the peg Helikon-Tex, I decided to buy a British army desert smock and modify it. I used my daughter's sewing machine. My sewing machine skills are not great and working with the smock was tricky. The sewing isn't very neat.

I first dyed it Espresso Brown. The colour and pattern have come out well. The light coloured synthetic parts are obviously still light.

55500707831_e152270b25_b.jpg



I then removed the enormous overhanging front of the hood and tidied up the edge. I re-inserted the hood wire.

55499706677_482cbc4d39_b.jpg


I unpicked the seams on each side and added pit zips.

55499706742_15c9332d7e_b.jpg



I have not worn it outside yet, but may get the chance in a couple of weeks' time whilst marshalling at a scouts event in the hills.

I may treat it with Nikwax cotton proof to make it easier to dry if it gets wet.
 
Rather than buying an off the peg Helikon-Tex, I decided to buy a British army desert smock and modify it. I used my daughter's sewing machine. My sewing machine skills are not great and working with the smock was tricky. The sewing isn't very neat.

I first dyed it Espresso Brown. The colour and pattern have come out well. The light coloured synthetic parts are obviously still light.

55500707831_e152270b25_b.jpg



I then removed the enormous overhanging front of the hood and tidied up the edge. I re-inserted the hood wire.

55499706677_482cbc4d39_b.jpg


I unpicked the seams on each side and added pit zips.

55499706742_15c9332d7e_b.jpg



I have not worn it outside yet, but may get the chance in a couple of weeks' time whilst marshalling at a scouts event in the hills.

I may treat it with Nikwax cotton proof to make it easier to dry if it gets wet.

Pit vents are a great idea. I maybe go down this route myself.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Aristotle
That’s why I don’t wear camouflage gear meself , and because I’ve never served. I don’t mind if others do of course.
I have an excellent pair of British army woodland camo waterproof trousers. I don't think that waterproof trousers have the same stigma.
 
  • Like
Reactions: CLEM
I am yet to field test the jacket. I wore it briefly the other day, but decided not to wear it on Saturday, for marshalling at a race, as it was forecast to rain.
 
I field tested the smock today. Mild conditions with a bit of a breeze.

The pit zips are very effective.

It's better than expected. The colour is good too.

I'm pleased with it.
 
Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE