Dyeing MTP

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
My windproof smock is on its last legs.... Its an old style desert one. Dyed brown so it's more subdued etc..

Only thing I don't like is the lack of hand warmer pockets....... The latest version do have them, but the are MTP.

I'm not a fan of MTP for a number of reasons - to bright for a start. Plus I spend a fair bit of time in Richmond /Catterick Garrison as that's where my folks are, so want something less Walt like /more like fashion design.

Basically.... Has anyone had lucky dyeing MTP to darken it (especially the excess of bird muck splatters).

I'm after making one into a subdued outdoor jacket - that's less military looking.

So either dark green or brown /coyote.

Dylon espresso brown worked well on the desert camo.... But not sure it'll work on MTP.

May be 2 dye runs - one for the poly and one for cotton. Maybe a green/brown combination

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Dylon says that cotton dye will work, but it works because the cotton picks up the dye and thus covers the polyester mixed in. They will not guarantee any level of colour because they just don't know how much cotton is in the mix.

"Mixes of natural and synthetic fabrics make up a significant part of 21st century textiles. The most common blends found on clothing and home textile labels include:

• Polyester/cotton
  • Polyester/viscose
  • Silk/linen
While a great many can be successfully machine dyed, not all blends were created equal. The challenge is how to tell which ones can be dyed and what the results might be. Luckily, this is easy – it comes down to ratios.

Synthetic fibres reject domestic dyes so in any blend, it is up to the natural fibres to pick up the colour. The larger the synthetic component, the less dye gets picked up, which results in a lighter (or more diluted) shade. For example, if you want to machine dye a white cardigan navy blue and it is 69% cotton, 19% polyester and 12% viscose, it will work beautifully. The end colour will just be slightly less concentrated than the colour on the pack.

When there is too much synthetic fibre in a blend, however, the dye becomes ineffective. For this reason, DYLON recommends not dyeing any fabric in which the synthetic element is greater than 20%. Everything else – from trousers to curtains to throws – is up for grabs and can produce wonderful results."

However, iDyePoly will dye polyester :)

I think it's a hit or miss to be honest. I think you'll manage to darken the fabric and trims using idyepoly, but whether you'll get the cotton to take any of that, I don't know.

If it were me, I'd try to dye the cotton first. It might be enough to cover the polyester, and if it isn't, well, the polyester dye ought to take care of it.

Black isn't always a good idea. It can look really patchy and scruffy. I think you're idea of the dark brown, or dark green really is a better option.

Interested to hear how you get on with it :)

M

edit, link to idyepoly

Last edited:
Reactions: Crowe

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Just wondering what it looks like and if dark brown or green would be best
I think Toddy has given you the best advice on dying

To answer your question about which colour to go with I'd say brown rather than green because the original material has elements of brown in it already so there'll be a more even balance on the end result

Reactions: EdS and Toddy

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Did you get around to dyeing this smock ? @EdS ? I've just come across a MTP smock at the back of a shed and I agree it wayyyyyyy to light. I'd be half tempted to dye it in a Thai dye brown and black pattern or just apply some dye by hand in a dension style.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I put photos on here last but they didn’t show up to well with the colour but I successfully dyed my mtp shorts with dylon hand wash using olive green. It took the pinkish colour out of the shorts. I am happier with them.

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
So I got around to dying my MTP smock today - it was in my opinion too light and was instinctively very anti my typical sneaky vibe so had to be changed.

The decision I main struggled with was to go either green or brown - Either the Forest Green or the Espresso Brown colour - so I went with the latter but I would be interested to see how a Forest Green dye comes out.

I only used HALF the supplied amount of dye as I wanted a subdued but not completely hidden camo pattern.

smockdye.jpg

smock1.jpg

smock2.jpg

smock3.jpg

smock4.jpg

Its now got a 'dirty/wet' old school DPM look to it. The photos here seem to make it look pinkish but its more subdued tan-esque.

Attachments

• smockdye.jpg
    smockdye.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 15

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Definitely worth it I used the green hand dye and it took out the inking colour so much so as ex-army I don’t mind wearing it because it’s different. Dyed the issued MTP shorts

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Looking at the smock again its a bit reminiscent of the old american woodland pattern I think.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Dyed a woodland DPM smock “smoke grey” today. Didn’t really take how I wanted, just looks over dyed black.
It’s ok and still suits what I want it for, glad I didn’t buy the smock especially for it though

Reactions: TeeDee

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE