Modellers Corner

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
A place to post any finished or current modelling projects, be it plastic, wood, warhammer or anything else.
Dont see a thread for this kind of thing, but figure it may be of interest to some, and i always enjoy seeing other peoples projects,sometimes encourages you to finish your own!

I started this boat, the Gjoa, last february as my first model. Slowly been chipping away at it on and off.

"Gjøa was the first vessel to transit the Northwest Passage. With a crew of six, Roald Amundsen traversed the passage in a three-year journey, finishing in 1906" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gjøa

Its the Constructo Gjoa set, made from wood. Some little bits and pieces are preformed, but mostly its a bundle of wood you cut and shape to size, it isnt like a plastic kit where everything is numbered and made for you.

Ive made a few mistakes along the way, out of lack of knowledge and some out of impatience to get fiddly bits done.
Have also just started a Tamiya Tiger tank to give me a break sometimes, but no pictures yet.

1 23468910

Pictures roughly in order of build, though i never took any during most of the deck construction.

Currently stitching the first sail, with the lines marked by pencil as a guide. I considered just gluing it on due to the impatience mentioned above, but im resisting the urge, and it would probably look terrible.

Anyone else working on something? Hope so, could be a lonely corner :)

Last edited:

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Thanks, hadnt seen one of those before, does look handy !

I'll admit, my sewing skills are pretty much non existant, so ive been putting off the sails for a while now. The little instruction book (pretty hopeless) said to cross stitch the sails, but i tried it after watching some youtube, and one side looks ok, but the backside looked terrible. Not sure if i did it wrong, or if thats how it would turn out, as the youtube video only showed me the one side.

Think ill stick with the way im doing it now though, think it looks more intended than my potential cross stitching.

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
I have a number of kits waiting for my attention but I never seem to get round to them. I subscribe to Plasmo on Youtube and love his build videos.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D

Oh excellent :)

I do 12th Scale, N and 00 gauge.

I love the fine detail of plastic even though I don't actually like plastic.
Right now I'm painting up one of the Chrysnbon kitchen units and a sewing machine kit.
0000495_chrysnbon-kitchen-cabinet-f-280-wood-grain.jpeg

and building up the corner shop from the Metcalfe range.
PO264_1-800x655.jpg

I always add more detail, and the Metcalfe stuff is being 'snowed' to look like it's nearly Christmas and I have lights to go inside as well as outside lit up lamp posts.

M

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
I have a number of kits waiting for my attention but I never seem to get round to them. I subscribe to Plasmo on Youtube and love his build videos.

Yeah, i can end up spending my full night watching other people build kits rather than actually doing my own, some great stuff on youtube.

Interesting stuff toddy, hadnt seen the chrysnbon stuff before. Be interesting to see how you get the wood look on plastic. Hadnt really looked at the railway model stuff before either, so theres more temptations for me..

What a splendid idea for a thread.

Here's one I did earlier this year...

Glad you think so, not such a lonely corner after all :)
Nice looking boat, is it wood or plastic painted to look like wood? Looks pretty good.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
A excellent idea!

here's the last two planes I made. i should have started on a new one, a horrendously awkward design from pre war with L shaped longerons but Ive managed to mess up my left hand again so I've not made owt in last few days. It's about better now but I've some turning to do that i've promised then I'll b back to tormenting balsa.

attachmentNew.php

Veronite No. 1 from 1939 with the modifications as in the photo of Ginger Lacey the RAFs ace in about 1941/2. still unflown due to the weather and I'm having trouble finding a flying field big enough. Thats my first carved balsa prop.

Veron Coupe, also still unflown.

I also do a bit of plastic modelling, Warhammer 40K for oneson and SAGA 28mm Saxons for another, andsome Sci-fi and Age of sail wargaming ships for myself, I'll see if I have pics.

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Full Thrust NAC fleet.

akBY8nE.jpg

h8IL0AV.jpg

40K Rhini ARV conversion, since heavily dirtied up with Mig powder smoke, mud and dust

OQJ3dlF.jpg

9 points of SAGA 28mm Anglo Saxons. Ok th shields are artificially uniform but it makes it easier to spot units during gameplay.

R9gF0mX.jpg

1:1200 ships, I've still got about as many to do.

Theres also a vast amount of scenery in 28mm.

pTSgIIE.jpg

I'll spare you the rest!

ATB

Tom

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Nice looking boat, is it wood or plastic painted to look like wood? Looks pretty good.
It's a plastic injection kit.

Love a game of Full Thrust. Haven't played it for yonks - for space fleet battles we tend to use Starmada.
Now, I REALLY love a game of Saga. We're in the middle of an Age Of Wolf campaign - I'm playing Welsh.

Last year, on the day of the battle of Hastings, we had a re-fight of Hastings using the excellent Sword & Spear rules. The same result as the actual battle - a lucky and unexpected Norman victory. All the figures were from my very large collection of dark ages stuff...

41968906855_c6a964233b_c.jpg

I recently scratch built a sci fi grav tank. The main body was an old computer mouse. I'm sure you can see it underneath everything...

41968907105_69205a33e8.jpg

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Lovely figures there Wander! Sadly the lads were into 40K so the vast majority of the minis I did for them were horrible GW tat but I finally dragged them around enough castles and museums etc that they have taken a interest in historicals, The eldest has started painting his Normans , despite shaky hands and the middle lad who doesnt model (the heathen ) has got me to do his saxons and has bought at least 12 points of Joms-Vikingsto do. Unlike the space marines I actually enjoy it and I'm getting better.

I am doing the horses for the eldest, Ive done the first 5 with the wipe off oil paint method.

DyHxLt6.jpg

I need to get some static grass or something for the bases. I've never done horses before but there another dozen to practice on.

Come to think of it ive done more Full Thrust since I took that picture.

Frf5Xuy.jpg

Those are Scan Feds hips on the right. I Really need to get some proper storage.

The youngest wasn't happy with his Japanese fleet so we stripped them and I gave them a simpler colour scheme. There's about 90 fighters to do but I'm refusing to do them . until the wee scunner scrapes the moulding lines off.

nxBtQow.jpg

Sorry the flash has washed them out a bit.

If anyone's actually into 40K I took some pics of the vehicles Also of my first love, 1930s-50s free flight planes. Much to my disgust I've flown only about half of them as wheer i have access is too small for th big ones and it's incredibly windy here most of the time!

ATB

Tom

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Much more by luck than judgement we have loads of space. Technically its a industrial unit, but a 18th century one, a weavers cottage. 3 floors and the top floor was never converted into accommodation so its still one great big room open to the roof.

Here's pics of my planes on their perch's

sbxyKVk.jpg

h2SQ9r2.jpg

The water penetration was sorted years ago, never quite get around to painting over the stains...

8mynErd.jpg

HMWyxLh.jpg

Nz9D4ZY.jpg

6kglXVF.jpg

u372rK0.jpg

67vWPhK.jpg

ATB

Tom

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ahh, 40k, I miss playing that! I've got a couple boxes in the loft of vehicles from about 1992! My main army was Chaos Squats, so lots of motorbikes, trikes etc All painted up in slaanesh colours....

When I look at them now the glue has deteriorated and they're starting to fall apart!

Reactions: ProjeKtWEREWOLF

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Quite an impressive collection tom!

I always fancied an imperial guard army when i was young, but never did get one. Though chaos squats do sound more like quite a painfull exercise ;)

Finally just about finished my first sail, reckon its taken me about 13-14 hours all in. My sewing lets it down quite a bit.

My stitch lines did start off quite close together, but it was taking forever, and i reckon i would have fainted from blood loss before finishing, so i spaced them out a bit. Seven more to go !

Last edited:
Reactions: Billy-o

Trig

Nomad
Jun 1, 2013
Scotland
Still on my second sail. Between putting it off and getting distracted with other things, i reckon it could take me another year just for the sails :D

My latest distraction is a scratch built Ballista,from a picture on google.A bit more work to do yet, but i think this ones gonna end up pretty basic.
Really need to mill some parts and turn some other parts like cogs etc for the rope winder, but i have fairly basic hand tools only other than a cheap dremel thing, which is good for rough stuff, but not much else. Bad workman blames his tools, i know :)

Looking into some of the hobby lathes/mills for future though. Seems to be a lot of cheap looking junk on google though, so trying to sift through it to find out what works and what doesnt. I see 6 in 1 machines which jigsaw/mill/sand/lathe etc, but looks fairly poor built, and a hassle to switch all the parts. Anyone have anything similar?

The observant may notice from my first pictures in the first post here, to the last in this one that my desk keeps growing and getting extensions added on,both upwards and now outwards. Not enough space!

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah! I have been doing models now of one kind or another since I was six!

And I am a lot older now!

I am having model envy! Too busy on other projects at the moment!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE