Minimum for a car journey in winter...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
I've been out today to buy a few bits and pieces for my wife to put in the car - she does a lot of car travel now to work and back (not at peak times) following a 24hr shift pattern. I want to make sure if we do get stupid levels of snow, she's good for at least 24hrs in the car.

She has a small roadside assistance bag containing towing straps, triangle, first aid kit, torch, camera, notebook and pencil.

I'm suplimenting this with a 2nd bag containing a couple of sealed bottles of water, a foil blanket and survival bag (more for attracting attention than anything else), wind up torch, chemical hand warmers, a couple of ration pack main meals, a length of pipe and some duct tape so that she can reroute the exhaust rather than getting out digging holes etc.

It'll be accompanied by a sleeping bag and two off cuts of carpet on 550 paracord.

Anything else obvious I've missed?

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Something to heat up said ready meals but beware battery sappers... I think everyone should carry jump leads and know how to use em incase the battery kills the car, it accounts for sooo much of our business saving people :) I'd carry energy giving non heat snacks like dried fruit n chocolate. DEFINATELY chocolate ;)

Mmmm what about one of those nifty recharge phone packs too?

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
A flask or means of heating water? is there already a conspicuity jacket in the roadside assistance bag? if not that would be a good idea all year round.

Louis

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
A big old dutch army wool blanket will make a toasty bed for the back seat, how about a couple of MRE meals or a little stove and brew kit in there too.

If she ends up getting stuck overnight then warm food/bedding/clothing will be most welcome

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I know you have a torch, but a couple of yellow flashing hazard lights to go in front and behind by ten meters to help peeps see your there, you can also make the higher with a stick depending on depth of snow,

Docherty

Tenderfoot
May 11, 2010
Dorset
A wee box in the back of the car with a sleeping bag, pair of thick wool socks, gloves, hat - a shovel, deicer spray & screenwash, phone charger, torch (with the batteries taped too it or they seem to drain out) Forget cooked food, just put some packs of raw jelly and tracker bars in there

you're a very thoughtful husband

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
A small gas stove to warm up meals, water & drinks (tea, coffee etc.) & some matches or a lighter of course......but do the heating out side not in the car (toxic fumes) better than relying on the car(e.g. heating element run off the car cigar lighter) to heat up your water or food, if the battery dies you are up the perverbial creek...........& not forgetting a packet of biscuits &/or chocolate bars, nothing better to keep up morale.:)

A hot water bottle ?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
This is an email sent out by Paul Kirtley last year as to what he he carries for winter car travel

We often think about survival skills in terms of wilderness but sometimes it's worth looking a little closer to home. I thought I'd share with you what I put in the boot of my car at this time of year as it may give you some ideas. You may already do all of this, which is great. You may also have some other ideas that I haven't mentioned so please let me know.

Cars are not very warm when the engine isn't running and the heater is off. They are basically a big metal box with no insulation! If you get stranded, caught in bad weather or your car breaks down (which they are more likely to do in the cold), then it's good to have the following in the boot:

- A couple of wool blankets (mine were inexpensive from a sale at Edinburgh Woollen Mills) or a sleeping bag;

- A warm coat, hat and gloves. A big duvet jacket is great - I have a Swedish army overcoat. £25 on Ebay;

- Some boots or suitable footwear for being in snow;

- A kelly kettle, some fuel. I keep a pack of BBQ firelighters with it. A couple of them will boil up a litre of water for a hot drink. Don't forget a lighter or matches!

- a brew kit - tea, coffee, hot chocholate, soups etc and a few plastic mugs;

- some water;

- some food - I have some snacks and some noodles that just need hot water;

- a snow shovel;

With the above I'm confident I could spend the night out in my car without too much discomfort.

It's also good to always have jump leads. But particularly in the winter you're more like to have a flat battery.

With regards any liquids you might carry remember that it'll be sat there until needed so might be frozen :rolleyes: so store it in a cool box to insulate it from the cold.

Other things I'd add would be mittens rather than fingered gloves, the german mittens from Endicotts are superb and if you want you can wear a thin pair of fleece gloves with them as well for added protection if you need to take them off to do something needs manual dexterity. A wind up radio is also useful so you don't drain the car battery, the same goes for a torch. Another thing not mentioned is toilet paper :rolleyes: As the kit's being put together for a woman perhaps some sanitary items in case they're caught out unexpectedly.

Something else to carry instead of carpet are Autosocks they'll be more useful than the carpet as you don't have to keep getting in and out the car to use them.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
you can also make the higher with a stick depending on depth of snow,
Indeed, how about a pole with a flag or something on top? Should she accidentally leave the road and end up stuck in a snow drift, hoist the pole with a flag/light on it so she can be seen.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
One good tip is DONT tell your missus you keep emergency chocolate in the car or you will be for ever replacing it!

Dogoak

Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Looks like you have most bases covered, but definately a shovel (sometimes a couple of minutes digging and you can be on your way again) and have a think about winter tyres.

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Couldn't help noticing the location of Essex, how much snow are you expecting???

Anyway, all sound pretty good, just what others have suggested a phone fully charged, something to heat food/ water with [i'd go for a trianga stove - but that's just presonal preferance] shovel a couple of extra wool blankets - can never really have enough blankets [as some one else said - a car with an engine off can be a bit cold inside] brew stuff - tea coffee cappa soup hot chocolate etc.

perhaps a jerry can with a couple of litres of petrol??

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Winter tyres?

I've just bought some rubber crampon things to slip over my shoes - they've got steel spikes to make walking on ice less hazardous. They weren't dear & take up very little space

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Tempted to say "working heater" which would rule out most Landies.

I carry a sleeping bag and liner, spare clothes (in case I get soaked), poncho (swiss army), tarp, water (lots of it) gas stove, cooking pot, KFS/tin opener, kelly kettle, lighter and kindling, dried food, mars bars, spade, spare mobile phone (and 12v charger), folding saw, can of diesel, led torch, candle lantern, and probably much else I can't even think of right now. Sleeping bag and clothes are kept in a dry bag to prevent damp.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE