Scenario: Overnight Scottish winter walk gone wrong

• Thread starter Deleted member 56522
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 56522

After the interest from the "unusual" scenario I posted (Naked and Lost), I thought I should create a more realistic one. Still an overnight stay, but this time not naked. I've again set it in Scotland (simply because there are spaces big enough for this).

Scenario: Overnight Scottish winter walk gone wrong

Having left details, you set out alone at dawn on an overnight walk in Scotland on what seemed like a couple of good, sunny winter days. Starting at west coast tidal loch, you climb rapidly up and find the snowline at 500m. It's crisp soft snow and the views are fantastic, so you decide to deviate substantially from your planned route, walking over the tops planning to camp at high altitude to get some high altitude photos at dawn.

But later in the day, walking over a ridge, you encounter a slope where the sun has turned it into wet & slippery ice. You slip and start hurtling down the hillside. On the way down, you takes several knocks, losing your rucksack containing tent, food, map, spare clothing, etc. and your compass flies off never to be seen again. After hundreds of meters you finally come to a stop near the bottom.

You sit up and stake stock. You're battered and bruised, but OK except there's an odd drop of blood where you hit your head on the way down, and you've twisted your ankle. When laced up tight your ankle is painful but can still just about take your weight on firm ground. You pull out your phone ... it's smashed up and not working. You try to find your rucksack, it is no where to be seen and worse you find your ankle means that you have to crawl over anything but firm even ground like ice/snow or even sloping/soft ground. But you do recover your hat, gloves and find a single bladed penknife.

Now you need to do something as the sun is below the hill, the sky is clouding over, the wind is picking up and your torn waterproof outer layer whilst potentially warm, is letting in the wind and making you cold. It certainly is no longer water proof.

You do not have your watch, but you guess it is three hours till dark. You have not seen anyone else all day.

You are just above a featureless rough grass & stony valley with occasional deer/sheep tracks and a small pebbly river. On the other side of the valley there is deep snow with big drifts down to the valley floor. Not too far down the valley are patches of trees (pine & further on birch). But in your condition it might take about an hour to walk to them. Otherwise all you have in your pockets is some bus money and car keys.

You did not look properly at this part of the map, but you know the overall geography which means if you follow this valley (south-ish) it will either turn West or East. If West in your present condition it will take 2 maybe 3 days to walk out and get you to the end of the sea loch where you started, if East it'll join a river which crosses a quiet inland road which you estimate with luck in your present condition will take 3 maybe 4 days.

What would you do and why?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: TeeDee

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
I think your scenario is still very unrealistic. No crampons and ice axe in winter preventing the slip, the sunny slope would be wet/slushy - the non sunny would be iced up. I have never heard of a rucksack being torn off someone’s back when it is done up properly. If the force of the fall could strip the rucksack off then you would likely be dead!
How could you be totally off your route if you are on the same sea loch where you started?

Additionally I carry a PLB on my person when solo hill walking and mountaineering so would hit the button and eat the trail snacks I always stuff into my pockets and await rescue.

D

Deleted member 56522

I was trying to give everyone the same basic equipment - but it's made up so who's to say what else you had!

When I went winter climbing, the ice-axes and crampons stayed in the bag till we started climbing ice (despite slippery ice on the path). So just assume they were in the bag. The ice slope clearly had a lot of rocks sticking up. These ripped the outer waterproofing, damaged your face, and clearly broke a strap. Your leg then hit a rock causing you to catherine wheel and the rucksack spun off.

You start at a sea loch, and went up onto a plateau with valleys radiating out. The area is either drained down to the sea, some valleys head inland to a river (which then drains to the sea ... like the Eden in Cumbria) You were originally intending to go to one place (perhaps a loch), but deciding to head in a different direction. After the slide, you end up in one of the radiating valleys.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
I think your scenario is still very unrealistic. No crampons and ice axe in winter preventing the slip, the sunny slope would be wet/slushy - the non sunny would be iced up. I have never heard of a rucksack being torn off someone’s back when it is done up properly. If the force of the fall could strip the rucksack off then you would likely be dead!
How could you be totally off your route if you are on the same sea loch where you started?

Additionally I carry a PLB on my person when solo hill walking and mountaineering so would hit the button and eat the trail snacks I always stuff into my pockets and await rescue.
Don't pick holes mate, just go with the scenario. It's a bit of mind puzzling fun!

It certainly is making me think how I'd get myself out of this kind of cropper!

Sent from my SM-A528B using Tapatalk

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

C'mon Nigel , :) Play along !! or if not present what you think maybe a more realistic scenario.

I think its quite good to have these 'what if' scenarios if for no other reason than for a bit of fun and cerebral workout. :)

Reactions: Van-Wild

Suffolkrafter

Settler
Dec 25, 2019
Suffolk
Oddly enough I once got myself in a tricky situation on a slope in the Alps a long time ago. The slope, which was almost scree, perpetually increased in gradient until we got stuck and couldn't continue - although from the bottom it hadn't looked so bad. We were aiming for a knife edge ridge, but decided to abandon. We were carrying about 15 kg. As always, going down is harder than going up. We had to take our packs off and descend by holding onto the pack by a strap and slithering down with them suspended below us. Sounds ridiculous but it was the safest way down.
The only other time I've risked losing a pack was when I unshouldered it when traversing a steep snow slope which descended directly to a near frozen alpine lake. I had no crampons and didn't want to risk falling in with a pack on my back.

In any case, your scenario doesn't seem leave much option other than hobbling down the valley towards safety and hoping for the best.

D

Deleted member 56522

In any case, your scenario doesn't seem leave much option other than hobbling down the valley towards safety and hoping for the best.
After I wrote it, I realised that one scenario was to go to where the plan was to stay ... because that is where any search would start looking. However, every possibility involves an overnight stay.

There are three options for this:
1. The snow drifts - snow cave
2. Make way down to the wood (away from planned route) & build shelter from wood
3. Make the best of where you are
4. (new) Make way back toward planned route

The next day the options seem to be:
1. Stay, and perhaps focus on being seen from air by rescue
2. Take long way out at low level ... which will be away from original route
3. Make shorter way over high/snowy ground
4. Head easiest course toward original route (minimise search area)

The problem with all scenarios, is that we have injuries, neither of which can be diagnosed. It is possible that the injuries are a lot worse than first thought. Also being at the snow line on a sunny day, it is possible the next day the area will be covered in snow.

Finally, whilst it is an overnight walk, it's unlikely that any search will start until late in the second night and no way you'll be found that night.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Pull out my penknife and build a log cabin, either that or swim across the sea loch to civilization (naked of course) You should not get yourself into that situation to start with.

D

Deleted member 56522

Pull out my penknife and build a log cabin, either that or swim across the sea loch to civilization (naked of course) You should not get yourself into that situation to start with.
If you follow the river down to the sea loch, it could be a long way because at "brisk" descent of 10m/km it will be 50km. But if it is a long descent it will likely come into the end of the loch where it will be shallow and probably muddy. But if the descent is quicker, I'd bet you'll find yourself at the edge of a rather precipitous descent from a hanging valley down the side of the sea loch glacial valley.

I don't like the idea of a snow hole where the snow has been melting, at best it will be wet, at worst it will be dripping and cold and risk of a collapse.

However, the snow will make an excellent "SOS" message with direction arrow. And that will allow me to move to the wood where I should be able to get out the wind and I can use the penknife to make myself a crutch. The penknife can also be used to cut up the outer waterproof so that I have strips of (bright) fabric to make another SOS sign close to where I will stay the night.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE