Minimum for a car journey in winter...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Without getting carried away, in the winter I have the following in the car

Old sacks (for under the wheels)
Snow shovel
Sleeping bag
Torch
A couple of snack bars
Water

Plus of course four wheel drive and winter tyres...

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
In my van I have about two weeks worth of dried and packaged grub, always 5 litres of water, a stove and cook kit and also a whistle kettle, lots of different hot drink packets, a litre of meths and a sleeping bag. I doubt I will ever be stuck more than 24 hours at the most but I should be fine nutritionally along with anyone else stranded nearby;)?

Steve.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
I'm just in the process of getting my wife's winter car kit together so found a lot of good ideas in this thread.

We generally keep some basic kit in the car all year round...bottled water, first aid kit, 2x reflective blankets, couple of torches/spare batteries, breakdown kit, 2 x reflective jackets, snacks, light sticks, shewee and a folding entrenching tool, and battery operated phone charger. We also have a couple of clip on bike style red strobe lights which can be handy if you're having to walk out in the dark or even getting out of the car to go to the boot/trunk.

For winter we add a folding snow shovel (quicker than digging out with an entrenching tool), a crusader cookset with fuel, coffee sachets, a flask (filled with hot water when she leaves in the morning and refilled when she leaves work), sleeping bag and bivvy bag and a couple of MRE kits.

Her winter walking boots then take up residence in the car along with a couple of spare fleeces, shell jacket, gloves, hat, shemagh scarf and a few pairs of socks. The spare clothes/footwear are something that a lot of people forget and the last thing anyone would want it to have to plod through snow in a pair of casual shoes or worse still high heels (admittedly not something I've ever had to do, honest.....!)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yep I was wondering the make and model of the car in question and how big the boot might be....:rolleyes:
Try and leave room for a bit of shopping lads:eek: This is must have kit

fieldkit.jpg

in the boot

Then tow one of these
trailertilt.jpg

With one on these on it

63246511_1-2007-Ski-Doo-800-Renegade-X-.jpg

Then one of these

http://www.g-comm.co.uk/product/102_9555-prepaid-airtime-iridium-satphone.html

and

http://www.bentley-walker.com/mobile

and

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/dra...s-19753.html?gclid=CIr2trHT5KwCFVBTfAodvz0lNA

To go with

10abv.jpg

Should keep you going until the AA arrive

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Several other things. Entertainment and light. A headtorch and a book are agodsend if you are scared of flattening the battery. A battery radio better yet. The wee battery poered emergency phone chargers are about £4 on e-bay.

They don't hae to be the best. But once you are warm you are bored. So prepare for that too. A hot drink (cup a soup is comforting) a blanket and a book are hugely reassuring.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think Tim was just looking for a few bits & bobs, not to transform his wife's car into an expedition vehicule :)

It all depends on where you -- or she -- are going. A triangle, a day-glo waistcoat, scraper and brush, a headtorch, a shovel, winter work gloves, and some windshield washer fluid will do fine in suburbia, but if it is "not totally off the map" that she'll be stuck for few hours then adding a couple of Lidl "winter" sleeping bags will be a gift from a friendly deity, and if 24 hours is possible (sh*tty weather in remote Scotland?) then some way to melt snow will be appreciated.

And simple things, like a pair of oversized wellies and some wool socks (instant cold weather boots!), a thick beanie, and the decrepit but thick wool sweater from Goodwill is cheap, fits in a duffle bag in the boot and will be very nice if the driver has to walk some distance in cold weather unexpectely.

The advanced car stuff is handy if one is able to do anything with them, but some oil, extra glykol and windshield washer fluid is pretty basic. And the spray bottle with the conc. washer fluid is quite handy if things ice up; ice littlerally melts away.

If I was talking about an expedition vehicle I'd add more stuff, including skis/snowshoes, a pulk, a shelter, a heater for the shelter, food for a week, cookpots suitable for melting serious quantities of snow, etc.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Melt snow?

Everytime I see snow at the side of the road its pretty grim looking stuff black or grey with road grime, salt and all sorts of crud in it....

Personally I think the OP has it pretty much nailed... The suggestion of books and a head torch is a really good one.

As is ensuring the car is upto date on servicing and is well prepped for regular winter uk driving, antifreeze, battery in good nick, washer bottle topped up, lights working, tyres in reasonable nick etc ad infinitum....

I guess you have to balance out your level of preparedness for getting stuck in snow with the likelyhood of:

1. Any snow occurring at all.
2. The severity of said snow fall.
3. The likelyhood of being trapped in it.
4. The timeframe you might be realistically 'trapped'.

The met service must still issue weather warnings so you would get a reasonable warning that a good dump of snow is on the way so you do get the option of staying tucked up under the duvet if it's really nasty...

Personally I'd stay clear of stoves in or around cars.... One of those self heating sachets things you get with MRE's might be the way to go if you really need a hot meal...

Last edited:

forestwalker

Everytime I see snow at the side of the road its pretty grim looking stuff black or grey with road grime, salt and all sorts of crud in it....

Well, if you are that "urban" just buy a bottle for the locval corner store. Or walk 50 m and find fairly fresh, clean snow.

Of course, my situation is different from most of you, if I get stuck it is either close to a village (walk to house, knock on door, ask who has a tractor and might be willing to pick up a few bob pulling me out), or out away from villages. Where the snow is clean just a few meters away from the road. And any water I left in the car would be a solid lump of ice anyway (we finally have cold! and this snow may stay!).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Had a bit of a google and it seems that in the bad winter of 2009/2010 one person died from cold in his car in the UK, 310 died due to the cold across Europe. Be realistic in your planning.

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Had a bit of a google and it seems that in the bad winter of 2009/2010 one person died from cold in his car in the UK, 310 died due to the cold across Europe. Be realistic in your planning.

Here!? In England!? Shocking. I know someone got killed when their car ran over them whilst they were scraping the ice off the windshield. They left the handbrake off...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE