Mini Review - Ensamma Vargan Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The Ensamma Vargen 'Lone Wolf' Tarp / Poncho

Well having a bit of a penchant for Swedish army surplus when I saw this tarp, I kinda had to buy one (as discussed in this thread here).

Arrived yesterday and I managed to get out to some local woods tonight to give it a try out.

Weight is 1300g so pretty heavy for its size, but then its made from some very heavy duty PU and well its 100% waterproof and always will be. Its also quite bulky but it really has that bomb proof feel you get with Swedish army kit.

size_zps5935d578.jpg

I liked the idea of this as it only requires one vertical attachment point and three pegging points on the ground so my thinking was it would work well with a trekking pole when bivvy camping on moorlands as weather break. The attachment points themselves are quite good being re-enforced grommets with a bit of thick cord to accept the peg, each corner has one like this.

loops_zpsfb9f0a86.jpg

So setting it ups is very easy, I used a tree in lieu of a trekking pole. Point the low end into the wind, peg it, attach the top end to an upright and the peg out the sides. Simples :D

rear_zpsb97b9327.jpg

right_zps4852998e.jpg

left_zpse7be37ba.jpg

012_zps947e005d.jpg

I think its worth noting that military-mart might have been a bit economical with the truth in their product photo, I think maybe someone's stuck a chair or something in there to spread it out a little. Not the end of the world as I'm sure you could do something similar with a couple of sticks, anyway judge for yourselves.

ensamma_vargen.600.jpg

You have to get quite far down into the 'pointy end' to get good weather cover. It is quite low but as you don't have to worry about water wicking through the fabric it doesn't matter too much I guess. Plenty of room for my pack and an issue bivvi bag.

tucked_zpsbc6c44fa.jpg

It's certainly pretty snug but it has a nice 'tenty' quality if that makes any sense.

Judging by the buttons down the side these are designed to be attached to make larger shelters, but it works well as a stand alone. There are also buttons on the inside of the corners to put up the corners should you want to use it as a poncho.
I think its fair to say there's better options out there that fit this tarps 'niche' but still for £8 your getting something that will stand up to any amount of rain and Im sure it will take a fair bit of abuse to boot. Im pretty pleased, but we'll see when I've spent the night in it :D

But you might want to think twice before wearing it :D :eek:

cape_zpsd9dfe009.jpg

Attachments

• Lone_wolf_dimensions.600.jpg
    Lone_wolf_dimensions.600.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 35

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Well I've never used a poncho in that rig before, judging from the pic I don't suppose there's much in it. But you definitely feel less of a prat wearing a proper poncho :D

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
Great review. Im impressed with the set up. I have a couple of quiestions though...
when its up against a tree, would it be better being slightly lower? As its going to give more width & lower profile (Less likely to be seen). & maybe a bit more element protection?
Do you think it could be pitched using a walking pole rather than a tree? & By adding a hoop on the MM picture would that be worth doing?
What was it like when you were wearing it? Did you sweat etc?
Im half conviced to buy one

Kind regards
leaf177

P.s lookin good wen wearing it ....

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hey leaf,
Well I tried it at various heights up and down the tree, the problem with having it low is that it reduces the space inside the shelter. However adding a hoop as you suggest would combat that pretty well. Im thinking a couple of sticks in the ground lashed together at the top to make a 'U' shape, if the weathers not persisting it down I'll try a night out over the weekend and give it a go.
As for pitching it using a trekking pole, I bought it for that very reason. Wearing it feels ok but didn't walk any distance, just like a poncho really; well ventilated but won't wick away sweat at all. Worth noting that there's no hood so it definitely makes a better shelter than a garment, but I'd venture it makes a better shelter than a poncho.

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
yeah. I was thinking a nice bendy stick. Cheers for the review i'll get one and try it out next weekend i think. I'll try it with the walking pole and take a picture. I think its probably more of a wearing around the camp sort of thing. so i might just keep it at the top of the pack if im walkiing or HAVE to do an 'unexpected'/Pre-planned overnighter.
Hmmm.... i have just thought aswel... would it be big enough for a hammock to go under? Ahh well that settles it i'll get 2 and then that should well be big enough...

Great review and thanks for trying before im buying haha.
atb
Leaf177

tenderfoot

Nomad
May 17, 2008
north west uk
I took a look at these when i was at military mart last week. The chap there confirmed that the shape on the picture is achieved using a bendy stick. A bit of hazel i think he said. The weight was a bit of an issue so i left it. Has anyone seen any pics/diagrams as to how to use more than one joined up zeltbahn stylee? Maybe one of our Swedish members has used one in service and could enlighten? Also what did they replace them with when they became obsolete/surplus?

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
You should use a long flexible stick under the minor axis to get a round shape and keep the fabric of yourself. It makes it more stable and airy. I used it a lot in the army. It's okay for what it is, but heavy. Make sure you orient it so that the overlap in the head hole is pointing downwards.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
You should use a long flexible stick under the minor axis to get a round shape and keep the fabric of yourself. It makes it more stable and airy. I used it a lot in the army. It's okay for what it is, but heavy. Make sure you orient it so that the overlap in the head hole is pointing downwards.

Thanks for posting, I thought using a stick would improve it. Did you ever make larger group shelters by buttoning them together or was it just used for personal shelters?
I agree its not the best tarp in the world, I mean its a third of the size and twice as heavy as my DD but hey couldn't resist at the price :).

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Thanks for posting, I thought using a stick would improve it. Did you ever make larger group shelters by buttoning them together or was it just used for personal shelters?
I agree its not the best tarp in the world, I mean its a third of the size and twice as heavy as my DD but hey couldn't resist at the price :).

Deeper explanation, sharpen the two ends of the stick, put one in the ground, bend it to a parabolic shape, put the other end in the ground and stretch the shelter over it. The stick needs to be around the same length as the minor axis of the shelter, so it needs to be way longer than you first expect, and very flexible. You could add hoops further down too. The beauty is that you don't have to carry any poles. I usually use sharpened stick as poles so there is very little to be carried. Although these points apply to any tarp really.

I have the song of the paddle tarp, which I use a lot more than the army version. I have only made a two people shelter for an observation post once. It was used as a shelter behind the observation point.. I don't see the modularity as a sales point really. It's just not worth the hassle. The dd or any similarly sized tarp is so much better. PU-coated nylon or sil-nylon is better in all aspects than the heavy material in the lone wolf (I think it is PU with nylon reinforcement, rather than just a coating). However, if I had to choose between a lone wolf and no tarp, the lone wolf is okay. I would like to try it as a kite, but I suspect gale force winds would be needed! :D

I have one of these. Brilliant bit of kit. It just so happens that I butchered a leaf canopy that used to hang over my daughters bed. Inside was 4 nylon arched poles that are similar to tent poles. They break down to one foot long sections and weigh nothing. I also carry an IPK and the aluminium hollow pegs. The pegs go into the ground first and then the canopy poles are placed into the top of the hollow pegs. This gives a sturdy structure and enables the tarp to be slid over and pegged in place. If I have my walking poles with me I just put one at each end and add a taught line to a central button to pull the tarp upwards, which gives you much more space underneath.

Granted they are the not the largest but they won't let water in and they are bombproof. I used mine in a snow storm up the Brecon Beacons. I had the shelter up in 2 minutes and rode out the storm for 3 hours. My mate with his £300 tent ended up in with me because his superlight tent was to light to pitch in the winds. £8 tarp beats £300 tent. He also said the tarp was warmer and dryer and has now bought one himself.

Trust the Swedes to develop top notch kit!

Last edited:
Had a day off today so got mine out to have a little play. I found that if I tied a length of paracord to one of the side loops and slung the cord over a tree branch I could make a sit in tipi. Once I had hung the vargen I buttoned the sides together leaving just 4 buttons undone at the bottom. I then pegged out the bottom in a few places and pulled the cord hanger tight and tied it off.

It made a nifty mini tipi. Good enough to shelter from the belting snow. Not big enough to lie in but big enough for one or even two people to shelter.

Think I might buy a second to make a lavvu. I already have the polish version which I love but PU would be good for really wet conditions. My polish lavvu is for use in winter with my mini woodburning stove.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE