Briefcase key

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
(I havent the foggiest as to where to put this, but its about a bag...)

Hah, my place is so full of stuff that artefacts are spontaneously generating...at least I cannot recall getting this...

A Cardon brand bag...and I cannot open it as it is locked and I havent the key.

(For all I know it might be full of fivers but maybe that is too much to ask for).

Its a good bag and I am wondering if my (new) laptop will like it; if not I will pass it on.

Really I have too many bags and not the ones I need for various purposes...

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Can you upload a picture of the lock, I've had success with a hairgrip on smaller locks, just keep bending/forming them to different shapes and sizes, otherwise try any small keys.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
If you often pick up items with old locks it's worth looking out for old keys in auctions. I picked up a box of hundreds of old keys, for about £15, and so far have matched up half a dozen locks in old furniture, cabinets and boxes.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
That lock doesn’t appear to have a keyway to insert a key. It looks like a pair of needle nose or round nose jewellers pliers would twist that so the clasp pops open.

Like this. Bung us a fiver if that’s what it’s stuffed with :)

IMG_1475.jpeg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The two knobs move to free the latch once the key is inserted and turned. There's a spring inside. Well, my schoolbag one did.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Used my dividers.

Turn quarter of a turn clockwise, yes?

The knobs seem to be stuck. Which direction are they supposed to move in?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine moved towards each other.

You might give the keyhole a gentle squirt of something like WD40 and then wipe up really carefully around it.

Look at the faceplate and see if there's any sign of how the knobs moved ?

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Mine moved towards each other.

You might give the keyhole a gentle squirt of something like WD40 and then wipe up really carefully around it.

Look at the faceplate and see if there's any sign of how the knobs moved ?
Just a thought. If you can’t get the knobs to move after lubrication - it’s just possible that the lock was open to start with and the knobs were just very stiff.
I’m pretty certain that yours will move together as Toddy suggests because any other direction would require two hands.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE