Mineralised meths?

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Might be a silly question but what is the difference between the purple methylated spirits you buy i camping stores and the purple "mineralised" methylatd spirits that DIY stores sell along side stuff for cleaning paint brushes? Can both be used (safely) in a trangia?

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I’m guessing the type you have seen that is labelled ‘mineralised’ is either old stock or is incorrectly labelled.

Mineralised Methylated Spirits (MMS) is the old name.
Completely Denatured Alcohol (CDA) is the current name.

Both are the same thing.

Hope this helps :)

Best regards,
Paul.

D

deezee_uk

Crikey, All I get is methylated spirits. Never seen it called anything else. I assume its all the same stuff? Although oddly enough my trangia doesn't seem to soot up as much as some people describe on the forums

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Meths is just ethanol (Whats in beer etc) with a dash of methanol. This is done so that it is not taxed by customs. As its not fit for consumption. (methanol makes you go blind)

The also add vomiting agents so that if you drink it you will be sick, thus protecting you as ethanol is very dangerous at high %.

It can me colourless, they call that IMS. (Industrial methylated spirits)

The purple is version is normally what you find in the shops. It just dyed for saftey and to put you off drinking it.

The clear meths burns cleaner and you dont seem to get as much soot on your pans.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Toots said:
Might be a silly question but what is the difference between the purple methylated spirits you buy i camping stores and the purple "mineralised" methylatd spirits that DIY stores sell along side stuff for cleaning paint brushes? Can both be used (safely) in a trangia?

No difference at all.

Mineralised just means its got purple stuff in it AFAIK

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
In an effort to clarify the situation, I’m going to add to the confusion :D

It seems there are two types of Mineralised Methylated Spirit, one which has the purple coloured aniline dye added to it (methyl violet), and one that has the aniline dye omitted (this type is known as Domestic Mineralised Methylated Spirit).

However, the above does not conflict with my original post that stated that MMS and CDA are the same thing.

http://209.85.135.104/search?q=cach...ed+methylated+spirit&hl=en&gl=uk&ct=clnk&cd=9

Best regards,
Paul.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Some years ago I lived near a row of derelict houses. Two guys moved in and used to drink meths by mixing half a 500ml bottle in a family sized tin of Heinz tomato soup. :p

Reactions: TheGreenMan

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Stickie said:
Surgical spirit used to be an old favourite. I knew one chap who drank the clear fluid at the top of a bottle of Brasso after it had settled.
it's a close call, that or american beer. Not sure which I'd pick :lmao:

robadams

Forager
Aug 19, 2004
Hampshire
In answer to the problem of soot from meths on your Trangia pans.
Try adding 10% water to you meths. It burns a lot cleaner.

Honest, give it a try. And yes it will still light.

Rob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE