Trip Report Nordmarka area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
First of all, forgive me if I ramble a bit, as I have never written a report like this before or uploaded any pictures.
Myself and my wife Alison had been thinking of going on an overseas wildcamping trip for a while now.
On good advice from friends who had already done this, we decided on the Nordmarka area just north of Oslo in Norway. We were also advised that early May would be a good time of year for our first adventure. A good friend lent us some maps and the planning started. We would be hammocking and were told that our gear and knowledge were fine.
Flights were booked from Gatwick to Oslo, then it would be a short train journey into central Oslo where we would need to buy some methylated spirits (rodspirit) and arrange a fishing permit.
We flew out on Saturday 4th May excited and a little bit anxious. It wasn't too long before we were boarding Tbane 5 to Sognsvann Lake. Its only a short walk from the train station to the lake. The lake itself is fairly well used by the people of Oslo. Lots of joggers, and walkers out for a weekend stroll. It was mid afternoon and the temperature was around 1.c. Just got to the lake and it started to hail, so we dived into the woods for shelter..
It only lasted about 20 minutes so we decided to continue on and try and get a bit further from along the lake.
An ok spot was found and so it was time for us to set up camp for the first night.

IMG_0177.JPG

Sognsvann lake first night...
IMG_0175.JPG

We ended up spending 2 nights in this spot. It gave us the chance to explore the area a bit and to scope out our next spot which was going to be on the next lake north Lille Aklungen. With the packs on, I guessed it would be a couple of hour hike.
The day we moved the temperature had dropped to a high of 0.c. At least we wouldn't get too overheated on the journey. The wind had picked up as well. It felt bitter. We found a spot relatively out of the wind to set up camp.
IMG_E0179.JPG

I had managed to find a spot where we could hang the hammocks side by side and rig the two tarps up to try and keep the wind off as best as we could. It dropped to -2.c that night and we had a sprinkling of snow.
The lake was beautiful and Alison really liked this spot, so I took down a few small pine trees to try and build a bit of a wind break.
IMG_E0181.JPG

The area was littered with what I presume was Elk poo. Either that or the squirrels grow large in these parts!
We heard them calling one night... very eerie!

IMG_E0176.JPG

We spent 2 nights here as well.
Time for a brew...

IMG_0192.JPG

Our next destination was the next lake north Store Aklungen. About another 2 hours hike.
The temperature had not increased much and was still at a high of about 0.c
On route Alison...

IMG_0184.JPG

When we got to this lake we found another spot where we could hang the hammocks side by side..

IMG_0189.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

A bit more to come:wink:

Attachments

• IMG_0197.JPG
    IMG_0197.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 4

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Although the weather was cold, it was beautiful

IMG_0195.JPG

A change of wind direction and weather was about to come..
Pretty much 50 hours of non stop rain. It did pause for about two hours when we were able to get out and about.

IMG_0198.JPG

We were lucky not to get flooded out as the puddle to my left started to turn into a lake:nailbiting:
To be honest, after two and a half days and nights of rain we decided to call it quits for the last night, and we headed back towards Oslo via Frognerseteren train station for one night in a hotel.

Sorry to bore you all.
Greg & Alison

IMG_0202.JPG

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Nice trip. Yes, moose droppings.
You should have collected some. Laquered and make into jewellery.

Did you catch any fish?

Just one brown trout which was returned. I think the drop in temperature put them off.
The previous week had apparently been like summer.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Cracking trip report Greg and Alison, looks like you both had a great time.

Like the North/South poo alignment. :)

Look forward to a more in depth one around the fire at Northwood.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Just one brown trout which was returned. I think the drop in temperature put them off.
The previous week had apparently been like summer.
As the winter was unusually cold and long, my guess is that the ‘surface close’ water was still colder that the deeper water, so the fish stayed there.
Which means you, sadly, could not reach them from the shore.

greg.g

May 20, 2015
birmingham
Thanks very much for sharing the trip report. Looked like you had a lovely time and I appreciated the intro where you explained how you got from the airport to the lake - has got me thinking now!!!

Its pretty easy to get to the area and i thought it might help others who were considering a similar trip.
The hardest thing we found was carrying enough food/calories to last for the trip. Our main meals were the Expedition Foods 800kcal dehydrated meals.
They were ok.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE