Encouraging wildlife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The role shallow ponds play in relation to climate change would likely be the algae. Decades ago it was argued that oceanic algae produce more oxygen and scrub more carbon that the forests do.

Grass carp are a very common means of controlling unwanted aquatic vegetation (including algae) in the Western Hemisphere. As Kepis said though, your bureaucracy would be very difficult to overcome if possible at all.

Yes, I have two small ponds of my own. Each less than a half acre. Kepis is entirely correct that runoff fertilizer is a very, VERY common cause of algae and that it does play a part in the food chain to the larger fish. So much so that most elementary school books list it as the base of the food chain and most farmers here periodically deliberately fertilize their multi use ponds if their isn’t enough runoff.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Kepis. everythything was planned, dug, planted and stocked by a company/person that has ponds and raising fish as a profession.
Permits done and approved.

I assume he knew and know his business.!

I would hope someone who runs a fish farm would know what they are doing, you indicated he is Sussex based, what's his business name as i know most of them around here.

Most disease is spread by fishermen I recall reading somewhere.

Might have been the case some years ago, but times have changed and anglers are now very environmentally conscious and use net dips to help stop the spread of disease, although the best way to stop the spread of pathogens and the preferred method of disease control on fisheries, is to let your nets completely dry before you next use them, many of the anglers i know have at least two sets of nets, one for Saturday, one for Sunday, they dry off them during the week ready for the next weekend.

Most diseases and parasites are spread these days by people "planting" fish in ponds and lakes without having the necessary licences and checks in place and/or buying from unscrupulous dealers who just don't care, a classic example is people have a fish pond but no longer want it, so they take the fish out and throw them in the nearest pond, sometimes with dire consequences as the Goldfish may be carrying a parasite or disease that they have an immunity to, but our wild fish stocks don't.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I would hope someone who runs a fish farm would know what they are doing, you indicated he is Sussex based, what's his business name as i know most of them around here.

Might have been the case some years ago, but times have changed and anglers are now very environmentally conscious and use net dips to help stop the spread of disease, although the best way to stop the spread of pathogens and the preferred method of disease control on fisheries, is to let your nets completely dry before you next use them, many of the anglers i know have at least two sets of nets, one for Saturday, one for Sunday, they dry off them during the week ready for the next weekend.

Most diseases and parasites are spread these days by people "planting" fish in ponds and lakes without having the necessary licences and checks in place and/or buying from unscrupulous dealers who just don't care, a classic example is people have a fish pond but no longer want it, so they take the fish out and throw them in the nearest pond, sometimes with dire consequences as the Goldfish may be carrying a parasite or disease that they have an immunity to, but our wild fish stocks don't.
Do y’all also have a problem with invasive plants being carried about on boat motor propellers? That was a big problem here as the boats were launched into different lakes and ponds over the fishing season. It’s gotten better now that most are cleaning them between launches but still not completely under control.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I used to dip my nets and reels in a fairly strong Chlorine solution, then fresh water and then let them dry. Wiped off the rods with same solution.

I felt just drying was not enough, I feared the possible remaining water inside the spool could contaminate.

Not really a lover of catch and release or pond fishing, but the fishing urge needed to get satisfied.
I do not like to hurt fish, and being hooked must hurt, and be very stressful!

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
Having looked at those pictures and the amount of algae I was going to ask about local farms maybe using fertiliser and this could be making its way into the water which is why there's so much algae.

But I see that's already been suggested.

That has to be the first culprit to look at. Even if there's no farms in the immediate vicinity then there could be well upstream and the fertiliser is being carried down.
That's what looks like is choking the pond.

Reactions: santaman2000

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
No septic tanks. The source comes out of a bank by the road into a culvert under the road then into a ditch that runs between two properties and into another pipe that feeds the pond. Exit is again a pipe into another ditch that runs between the school field and another field into another culvert and exits into the river. No livestock kept above the pond
This I've learned through observations on the ground and a local map.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Are there many leaves falling into the pond? Also a source of nutrients.

I wonder if it is legal to plant Watercress on the pond edges? That would take up some nutrients, and be eaten......
Those high plants with a seed head that looks like a cigar?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Are there many leaves falling into the pond? Also a source of nutrients.

I wonder if it is legal to plant Watercress on the pond edges? That would take up some nutrients, and be eaten......
Those high plants with a seed head that looks like a cigar?

Watercress requires a constant flow of water, if you plant Reedmace in such a small, shallow pool within two to three years the pond will be gone.

Janne

Feb 10, 2016
Now being possibly stupid: Would it be feasible to make a planting of reeds, other water liking plants, ABOVE the pond? To filter out the nutrients.

I believe that is a new way to take care of sewage in many countries. Reed bed it is called?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
No chance for bullrush or reed I'm afraid. Too small a pond. Planting above the pond not possible either. That is the seating area ...see photo.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
When you manipulate the plant community, you deliberately alter the niche conditions for animal life. Ecological fact.
"Cleaning up" that pond may well ruin opportunities for the wildlife that you expect to encounter.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Now being possibly stupid: Would it be feasible to make a planting of reeds, other water liking plants, ABOVE the pond? To filter out the nutrients.

I believe that is a new way to take care of sewage in many countries. Reed bed it is called?

Nope, pond is no where near big enough, rather than introduce plants, which long-term could cause more problems than they solve, is to just let nature take its course, in next to no time after disturbing it all, plants will naturally colonise the area.

Reactions: Janne

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
From personal experience I know that the miniature reedmace will happily grow in a small pond, but Kepis is right, and it will take over.
Might take years to do it, but it definitely does. I spent four hours last week cutting back the reedmace in my own garden pond. Typhus minima, the one with the normal shaped seed heads, not the ball ones.
I think that's not the right reeds for a reed bed though, those ones are the thatching reeds iirc..

M

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Yes the few plants that were introduced (the brown dead looking stuff in the middle of the pond has become a problem on its own.
I think a few plants to keep the water oxygenated such as the curly pondweed to provide a habitat for small creatures would be enough. Maybe some king cups for interest around the edge. Planting such a shallow and small pond needs careful thought and selection of the right plants or it will be a mess again very quickly.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Decomposition is done by bacteria and fungi. There are very few specialized detritivores.
The Biological Oxygen Demand ( BOD) is tremendous. Pull 2/3 of the leaf-litter away and sit and watch.

Meanwhile, Hallowe'en has never been like this with Mom and the kids.

Lynx family.jpg

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Decomposition is done by bacteria and fungi. There are very few specialized detritivores.
The Biological Oxygen Demand ( BOD) is tremendous. Pull 2/3 of the leaf-litter away and sit and watch.

Meanwhile, Hallowe'en has never been like this with Mom and the kids.

View attachment 56373

God help your Christmas tree :D

I read this thread with interest. We had a pond when we were children that had all the local fair and school fete goldfish rejects in it. Every year it produced big dragonflies that we watched pulling themselves from their larval casings, frogs, newts. And we never touched it apart from topping it up with water. Where we live now is a seasonal river, the Lavant. It dries up towards late Summer, but not before it’s watered the Swallows and produced tons of greenery and loads of water based flying things.

Reactions: Robson Valley

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE