Mincemeat recipe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JohnClayton

Oct 14, 2013
Grimsargh Preston Lancashire
This is a recipe for probably some of the best mincemeat you will ever taste and is well worth making:

The following makes 3.6lbs pounds of super mincemeat. Just perfect for those festive treats!

12oz raisins
8oz mixed peel
8oz sultanas
8oz currants
1lb cooking apples, peeled, cored and chopped fine. I use either Lane’s Prince Albert or Lord Derby, for Bramleys tend to fall too much. I have used Egremont Russet...pretty good.
8oz suet (I use the low fat veggie suet).
12oz soft brown sugar
The grated rind and juice of two oranges and two lemons
2oz chopped almonds (I have also used walnuts)
A good four teaspoonfuls of mixed spice; err on the generous side if you like sweet spicy stuff!
A quarter of a whole grated nutmeg (never buy ground nutmeg...buy whole ones and a fine nutmeg grater, and grate a bit into any milk-based stuff such as rice pudding, custard, bread sauce)
Mix all these together thoroughly, and then put the bowl (NOT plastic!!) into the oven at a very very low light/temperature...I switch to 80C...for three hours. This kills off any wild yeast and prevents the mix fermenting.

Then, mix in a good six tablespoons of brandy. Not Courvoisier ...the cheapoh stuff. The important thing is alcohol content; not less than 35% alcohol. If lower than that, the brandy will not flambe crepes suzette and Christmas pudding!

Pack into clean dry jars and keep for a couple of weeks before use. A full bottle will keep at least a year and will mature with age.

When you come to use this mix, it may be a bit too stiff, again add extra cheapoh brandy. Don’t worry about the amount of alcohol as when cooked the alcohol disappears.

JohnClayton

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
.........and I found a half bottle of brandy yesterday while burrowing through the pantry that Son2 had stuck a huge white label onto. He had written "Only fit to use for cooking!!!" :D

Timely, thank you :D

cheers,
Toddy

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That looks good, I make tons of the stuff, everyone gets a jar.

My recipes a bit different though

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Cracking idea that to 'bottle' it. usually make our own mincemeat for our mince pies, might make a fair bit more and bottle it :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE