FAO g4ghb. Beetroot Soup Recipe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
From the recipe book "Best-kept Secrets of the Women's Institute SOUPS".

Serves 4
Preparation Time 10 mins + 40 mins cooking
Freezing recommended after step 3

25g butter
1 onion, chopped
225g potato, chopped
450g cooked beetroot, sliced
575ml vegetable stock
300ml milk
10ml ground cumin
Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
150ml double cream or natural yoghurt
salt and pepper
snipped fresh chives, to garnish

1) Melt the butter in a roomy pan and saute the onion until soft. Then stir in the potato and sweat for 3-4 minutes, covered, shaking the pan occasionally.
2) Stir in the beetroot, vegetable stock and milk, bring to the boil and simmer for 15 minutes.
3) Add the cumin and lemon zest and juice.
4) Allow to cool a little and then reduce to a puree.
5) Season to taste, stir in the cream or yoghurt and carefully reheat. Be careful not to let the soup boil after this point or it will curdle.
6) Garnish with fresh chives and serve immediately.

I've no interest cooking so don't do it if I can avoid it.
My wife likes cooking but only takes recipes as a guide.

She doesn't put in the cream or yoghurt or pepper and salt or any garnish. This results in a thick soup.

Hope that's enough info. She has only just stopped taking the P because I asked where the "chuck it in the blender" bit was. Apparently thats what "reduce to a puree" means :rolleyes:

Cheers
Grebby

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Shredded beets with lots of fresh ground pepper and sour cream = borscht?

I can't ever get beyond the cooked beets. Chopped, butter, salt and a splash of malt vinegar.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
:D Thanks Grebby! Just the job. Good old WI, is kinda like a runny jam I guess.

will give it a go (when my daughter is out, she won’t eat beetroot but swmbo and I love it) and loved the purée bit :lmao:

Grebby

Life Member
Jul 16, 2008
Sutton Coldfield
:D Thanks Grebby! Just the job. Good old WI, is kinda like a runny jam I guess.

will give it a go (when my daughter is out, she won’t eat beetroot but swmbo and I love it) and loved the purée bit :lmao:
Less of the runny:biggrin: It has been said a good few times in our house that soup has topography.

She once made some soup from the leftovers of a stew. This mean't just chuck it in the blender. Your spoon could literally stand up in that. The blender didn't really like it much and a new more powerful one was purchased soon after.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Lol I know what you mean. Most of our soups are like that and need a little ‘loosening’

We regularly make soup, usually mixed veg or a mixed bean soup.

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I love beetroot soup. They grow well in our veggie plot. A regular lunchtime meal with home made sourdough bread. Mmmmmm!
S

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I'm a mushroom soup guy. I like a stir fried pan of shredded Agaricus & garlic in butter (3 handfuls is better than 2). Then, all that goes into the milk and creamed 'shroom soup. Best brand here is still Campbell's.

Just cook the beets, thanks. I'll save you all the trouble of making a soupy thing out of them.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE