Fat Free Pastry Recipe.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Chief

Dec 18, 2019
Lincs.
A long, long, long time ago (looonngg) I came across a recipe for fat free pastry online.

Although I remember the instructions and ingredients (though not the quantities or temperature setting for the oven) I just cannot find the website any more and it's quite possible that the site has long ago gone.

Since it would be a shame to lose the recipe entirely from the web, I figured I'd pop it on here with all credit to the original recipe creator whomever they may be...

Ingredients:
Flour
Salt or Sugar
Apple (e.g. Bramley)
Vodka

Peel, core and chop the apple.
Cook it down to a puree.
Add the vodka and mix.
Allow it to cool so it can be touched but still warm
Add this mixture to the flour and salt/sugar.
Knead into a pastry dough.

At this point you can put it in the fridge, I never bothered.

I can't remember the correct temperature for cooking it, but I do remember the first time I tried it the recipe worked perfectly and I was very impressed.

The next time I must have set the oven too high and the result was an inflated biscuit (tasted okay but was lacking a lot of substance).

In trying to find the original site again I see there are now a couple more truly fat free recipes about, however they both rely on baking powder:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like an old fashioned hot water crust. You can make it with suet but it just needs a hot thick paste of somekind to work with the flour.

Reactions: Coldfeet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE