Milk!!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bashabuddy

Nomad
Dec 15, 2008
bramley, Leeds
:eek:

Hope you can help my Friend. My friend has, in his wisdom, managed to spill nearly a full pint of milk into his new Sabre 45 thus covering all the contents inside. Thankfully this little occurance happened at the bottoms so only covering "his" pots and pans saving almost everything else.

The question is how does "He" go about cleaning said milk out of his rucksack before it goes into a stinking mess!!!

cheers

Martin

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Let Him rinse the bag out with copious amounts of COLD water, such as turning ot out and running a hose over it , until there is no trace of milk left.
If he has no accesss to a hose, put it in the shower - no shower, a river or bath.
Do not machine wash it with hot water and harsh detergents!

Tell him to take powdered milk next time!:D

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
John's right,the only way to remove it without damaging it is loads of cold water.This will renmove it ,then hang it on the washing line to drip dry and then into the house for a dry off in a well aired place.

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
If it hasn't gone sour then rinsing will do the trick. if there is a persistent milky / sour smell a vinegar solution will do it. That certainly worked for me on the car's carpets.

And I agree fresh or longlife milk is not a good idea in the outdoors. Powdered milk tastes just the same in the woods

NS

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I'm not sure that washing it in a bit of mild detergent and some hot water is the end of the world. :rolleyes: It's a pretty tough bit of kit not a lambswool jumper.

I cleaned a kids back pack I got at a Carboot sale with some Napisan and a tub full of hot water photos below:

Before:

DSCF2044.jpg

After:

DSCF2046.jpg

I used to regularly scrub my Cyclops Roc clean after it got covered in muck with hot water Daz and an old nail brush it lasted 15 years of use and was still going strong when I sold it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd just fasten all the buckles and chuck it in the washer, Sabres are tough bits of kit so it won't fall apart.

I spilt a Maccy D's milkshake in the footwell of my old car, it was only two days before I got rid of it so I didn't bother to clean it. I sometimes wonder which poor sod has to drive round with that stench now.

bashabuddy

Nomad
Dec 15, 2008
bramley, Leeds
Cheers Rich. Ok ill admit it ... it was me ..!!!! had no powdered milk left so next easiest option at last min to by a pint. never again!

I had thought of fastening it up inside out and cold washing it. I'll give it a go when i finish todays life sentence courtsey of the NHS!

cheers

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
hmm did this yesterday too :rolleyes: Decided to walk off a hangover by going to the shop and carrying the stuff back. Ended up wondering why my calves were getting wetter than the rest of me. Look down to see white rain... Stuck the hose in the rucksack until it was half full then let it drain.... twice. Hanging in my garage to dry. oh and ventile absorbs milk. :eek:

Cheers,

Alan

xlfive

Apr 4, 2008
Warrington
Bicarb should work,also a mild solution of vinegar,if after its washed and dried you end up with a odour,try leaving odour eaters in the sack for a few days the charcoal should get rid of the smell

coln18

Native
Aug 10, 2009
Loch Lomond, Scotland
why try to fight against nature! just go with the flow and accept what has happened.

Head back to the shop where you bought the milk, buy a huge jar of coffe and at least 10 bags of sugar and then carve yourself a huge wooden spoon.

Boil at least 45ltrs of water and hey presto you have enough coffee for the next bushmoot.

In all seriousness, i would go with johns plan of hosing it out and letting it dry

best of luck with it, i hope it works or you wont have many friend willing to go walking next to you..

All the best Col.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE