Packing a rucksack - A Bushcraft Camping Outfit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Over on Paul Kirtley's blog you can read an interesting article about what he packs and how he packs his gear for some of his longer trips to the woods and wilder parts of the world.

A Bushcraft Camping Outfit – Equipment for Living in the Woods

The 'modular' approach to packing you gear that he describes will certainly ensure that you don't end up leaving something important behind and perhaps more readily allows you to 'mix 'n' match' you equipment for different needs.

I spent a few days in the Ardèche Gorges with Ray Mears having walked a few hundred kilometers to get to our meeting point. Ray was interested in what I'd packed for that walk and how. In turn he emptied out the contents of his pack and explained his system. The method he used to pack his rucksack was broadly similar to Paul's, Ray made a point of explaining how he had several different items which were packed to the same size and that fitted into the same section of his pack, thus his hammock and tarp setup or his one man tent would both fit into a stuff sack of the same size and slot into the same section of his pack depending on which he needed for that trip, the same held true for different cooking setups etc.

On a Woodlore fundamental course, years before Paul worked for Woodlore, one of the Instructors produced a rough sketch of how he suggested a person might want to pack a Sabre 45 pack. I posted a version of that sketch here a while back, here it is again.

packing_a_sabre45_rucksack.jpg

When I'm traveling any distance I like to cut down the weight as much as possible, so rather than stuff sacks I keep things in jacket pockets or roll them up in clothes and these are usually stored in B&Q rubble bags rather than waterproof stuff sacks. But if I plan on getting to a particular location and staying there then this 'modular' approach can make keeping your stuff clean, dry and organized a little easier.

:)

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That is remarkably similar to what I used to do (and teach) for my longer treks.
I always used colour coded stuff sacks for most items, replacing ordinary stuff sacks with drybags if going by canoe or if I was expecting very wet conditions - like the jungle!
For super wet possibilities (canoeing in winter) the whole sack would be fitted with a dry liner.

The main difference is that I have never comfortably fitted all my kit into less than a 60 liter rucksack.....

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Nice one :)
I tend to use the moduler system spare clothes in an arktis dry bag at the base , large pack liner with my sleeping bag or poncho liners stuffed staight into the pack I find the compresstion bags dont fill the space as I would want it to ,
I use a PLCE side pouch with all the zips ands straps removed to store my cooking system and all food and drink for the trip ,
this fits nicley into the top of the pack ,
022.jpg

A long time ago in a galaxy far far away when I had to carry a bergen for a living I used three plce pouchs stacked into my bergen in a moduler style worked very well,
Twodogs

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Sounds like we all use a similar set up...I pack all my gear in colour coded roll top dry bags. If it looks like a wet outing, I line the bergan with a big roll top bag just to make sure.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE