midlands meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
Cliv and I probably wont be there till about 4.30pm, if that helps Stu.

i've got to confirm the booking and pay a deposit tomorrow so final list will be
shaggystu
nolightweight
MartinK9
Cliv
Intrepidstu.
they want me to give them an arrival time for friday, anyone got any preferences?

cheers

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i'm just about to drop off the booking form/deposit etc. i've put the arrival time down as 12noon, so any time from then onwards would be absolutely fine. i'm planning on arriving either with or at the same time as martink9 and nolightweight which should be well before half four. so there'll be probably be a brew on waiting for you both you lucky men!
on the subject of brews, when i went up to the site last week i wasn't massively impressed by the woodpile, it seemed to be mainly saturated chippings. i don't know whether or not there was any other firewood on site, or whether there's any posibility of scourcing any locally or not (there's virtually no dead wood left on the trees, it's been scoured for many years by the looks) so it'd probably make sense to try and take at least some fuel with us. i've got a bit at home but the winter's been pretty long and hard and i've more or less used up, i shall bring what i can but SWMBO may take umbrage if we steal the whole woodpile and she can't make a fire at home, she feels the cold bless her!

cheers

stuart

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
just a thought, what we gonna do about food? group effort? it seems a bit silly cooking individually when there's only five of us and IMO it's as easy to cook for five as one. so.....thoughts? i'd quite like to make a chilli, maybe put it together on friday night ready to eat on saturday, that way i can leave it to mature a bit, it makes all the difference to a good chilli. any objections to a chilli? vegeterians? moralists? religious types(it's got pork in it)? non-chilli eating wimps?

any other thoughts people?

cheers

stuart

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
i've put the arrival time down as 12noon, so any time from then onwards would be absolutely fine. i'm planning on arriving either with or at the same time as martink9 and nolightweight which should be well before half four.

so it'd probably make sense to try and take at least some fuel with us.

i'd quite like to make a chilli, maybe put it together on friday night ready to eat on saturday, that way i can leave it to mature a bit, it makes all the difference to a good chilli. any objections to a chilli? vegeterians? moralists? religious types(it's got pork in it)? non-chilli eating wimps?

stuart

You have a PM ref a lift :)

I'll bring some kindling, charcoal and some crackle Logs:D

Chilli is fine by me:red:

IntrepidStu

Settler
Apr 14, 2008
Manchester
just a thought, what we gonna do about food? group effort? it seems a bit silly cooking individually when there's only five of us and IMO it's as easy to cook for five as one. so.....thoughts? i'd quite like to make a chilli, maybe put it together on friday night ready to eat on saturday, that way i can leave it to mature a bit, it makes all the difference to a good chilli. any objections to a chilli? vegeterians? moralists? religious types(it's got pork in it)? non-chilli eating wimps?

any other thoughts people?

cheers

stuart

Bugger, Ive just packed all the food I need, and I dont think I can carry anything else. But if you let me know what to bring for ingredients by tomorrow morning Ill get what I can and struggle somehow. Got to admit, a chilli sounds nice. Ill be bringing 3/4 bottle of sloe gin as well. Its about a year old and about time it was drank by us lot i think.

Ill get a bag of rice and some chilli beans just in case.

Stu.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Bugger, Ive just packed all the food I need, and I dont think I can carry anything else. But if you let me know what to bring for ingredients by tomorrow morning Ill get what I can and struggle somehow.

There's a Sainsbury Store an the A6 just outside Matlock - it you look on a map, it's right next to the railway station.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
This is tricky, i'm trying to do this on my phone. Anyway, don't worry about ingredients chilli's the cheapest food in the world and i'll grab most of it from the kitchen cupboard. Sloe gin for chilli sounds like a fair trade to me.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
This is tricky, i'm trying to do this on my phone. Anyway, don't worry about ingredients chilli's the cheapest food in the world and i'll grab most of it from the kitchen cupboard. Sloe gin for chilli sounds like a fair trade to me.

In that case I'll bring Strawberry Schnapps, Blackerry Gin and Blackberry Brandy as well :)

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i doubt very much that i'll have chance to get online again before the meet, so see you all tomorrow and any problems at all i've PM'd you my mobile number.

see you soon

stuart (off to buy mince for a chilli!)

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Just back from the Meet and still uploading 82 pics at the moment, so bear with me.

Gents,

A pleasure to meet new faces and old once again, thanks for a cracking weekend.

Can I also just say many thanks to shaggystu for organising not only this Meet, but hopefully gaining us a new area.

Standy by for Pic heavy threads.....

Thanks again Stuart

Cliv

Forager
Nov 15, 2008
Preston
Hi i would like to thank everyone for this weekend, fine company fantastic food
made it one of the meets i wont soon forget

Thanks to All

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
just looking at the site availability in june for our next meet and the first and second weekends (4th-6th and 11th-13th) are free at the moment. obviously i shall heed avice given and confer with various folks to try and avoid any clash between meets before i book this. also, due to the nature of the site and in light of the, so far, wonderful relationship we've struck up with the site staff i'm going to limit this next meet to 20 people. i feel that, at least for the time being, this is the best way to safeguard our use of this facility, hope i'm not out of line at all.
once i've got some dates worked out i'll start a new thread for the next meet so please be aware that any list of names started in this thread is going to be forgotten when the new thread starts, i've got to do it that way to be fair.

cheers

stuart

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE