midlands meet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bushcraftsman

Native
Apr 12, 2008
Derbyshire
I was thinking of organising a meet in the derby/nottingham/leicestershire area but before i do, how many people would be intersted?

also anybody that is interested.. any ideas on loacations?

May 13, 2007
NORTHANTS
I'd be interested but you will need to sort out a site with the relevant permissions before collecting names I would think? I'm afraid I don't know of any sites so can't help on that front but good luck with the search and let us know if you get lucky?

All the best
Mav

ps..Sherwood forest by the Major Oak would be nice :D

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
sounds like a good idea - try the scout sites as they arent afraid to let you do your stuff and you can practise teaching anyone else on site.

cant remember the name but the derby site is used to strange visitors, when we christmas camped it we had a mixture of viking and samuri warriors running about.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Drum hill Derby are a scout camp that hire themselves out sometimes. We might end up sharing with LARPers which is the samari warriors and vikings that crazy dave mentioned, which would be some serious laugh.

I am up for a it.

eem

May 28, 2008
solihull
I would be really interested but i may be more of a hindrance. i have only camped a couple of times but would be keen to learn anything you could show me and could provide refreshments

addo

Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Drum hill Derby are a scout camp that hire themselves out sometimes. We might end up sharing with LARPers which is the samari warriors and vikings that crazy dave mentioned, which would be some serious laugh.

I am up for a it.

I live near to drum hill and have asked a few times if they will have a meet or just to let me camp but no joy when fire was mentioned. A fresh request might be a good idea tho. It a great site with loads of Birch, Oak, Sweet Chestnut.
Failing that Im up for a meet anywhere as long as im not out of action.:)

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hi all,
My isnt the midlands a large area when you come to think of it!
Id be interested in something near derby etc - closer to my old stomping ground, but wanted to know if there are any people around cambridgeshire area on here?
Just interested in meeting with people with similar ideas and sharing a bit of knowlage - or more likely gleaning it to be honest Im definately an interetsted amateur.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
I live near to drum hill and have asked a few times if they will have a meet or just to let me camp but no joy when fire was mentioned. A fresh request might be a good idea tho. It a great site with loads of Birch, Oak, Sweet Chestnut.

some sites dont like fires around the pitches. not because of fire dangers but because the kids wreck the woodland. some will allow altar fires but all have a campfire circle which can be used instead for practise and cooking. if you volunteer to built a campfire and join in the sing song then you can have some fun. other leaders like to learn as well so will often invite you for a brew and a play with the kids( in a not yellow card go to prison kind of way) :)

I imagine a large city site like drum hill has a large throughput so has to rely on donated lumber from skip companies to keep the campfires going.

we had similar issues in york

xylaria

:confused: They have altar fires built on site. I think there something about the ecology that ground fires can't happen, but then that is common the midlands, with either moor, peat or coal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE