Midlands meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Morning all,

Now that we’ve got permission to camp (post #60), it’s time to find out who wants to come and when they’ll be able be there. As I’m going to be on site on the Sunday anyway so all weekend will be available; if you want to pop in but can only spare a couple of hours (or even an hour) you are more than welcome; as others have said before ‘It’s nice to put faces to names’

Please copy and paste this section as you add your name. At the moment this list is just to gauge interest and get an idea of numbers, but in about 10 days time I’ll do another list to confirm names so I can book the pitch.

Friday night:
decorum,

Saturday:
decorum,

Saturday night:
decorum,

Sunday:
decorum,

In the interest of everyones health, safety, enjoyment etc I'll also do a 'guidelines' post so that everyone knows a bit about what to expect - both of themselves and of others :D A bit P.C :cop: I know but it can save time and arguments later.

skint

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2007
Leicestershire
Looking forward to this but will have to leave Sunday morning.

Friday night:
decorum
skint

Saturday:
decorum
skint

Saturday night:
decorumskint
skint

Sunday:
decorum

Paul.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi skint,
Good to have you on board. As I posted above (#44), there's an event on site on the Sunday and numbers won't be known until that day. The event starts at 10 a.m so you'll need to plan your departure time from that - it wasn't much of a turn out last year so there wasn't a queue to get on/off the site.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
In the interest of knowledge, health, safety, enjoyment, openess etc…..etc…..etc

Please read the whole of this post:
http://www.coventryscouts.org.uk/roughclose/Howtofindus.htm

http://www.coventryscouts.org.uk/roughclose/Siteinformation.htm

This next one deals with costs:
http://www.coventryscouts.org.uk/roughclose/Artwork/RC%20Price List 06.pdf
According to the list its £3 per person/per night and for those who are there only during the day £1.75 per day/ per person.

For those who intend to bring cutting tools - have a read through the next thread and in particular post #2.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22194

I've not been to a meet before and as far as I'm aware I don't really know any of the any of the members of this forum. I thought it'd be everyones best interest if I put in place some kind of guidance as to what I think would be in the best interest for a group of strangers who are getting together for a weekend.

Rules and Responsibilities:

Although I’m doing a bit of admin that’s where my responsibilities end.

An individual's thoughts, beliefs, sense of humour etc. are just that - individual. My thought on this matter is that if anyone says or does something to upset someone else that person should have the freedom to say so (and that it should be said in a polite manner) openly and without the fear of recrimination or ostracism. Once something has been said, it's been said; so let the subject lie and leave it alone.

1. You are responsible for yourself, your kit and your food (before, during and after the Meet). You are also responsible for getting, safely, to and from the Meet.
2. Although I’m willing to collect together the camping/visitor fees and pay the site, you are responsible for bringing the money and giving it to me (and those of any dependant with you).
3. Prior to arrival you should know how to safely use the kit you’re going to use.
4. Don’t borrow anyone else’s kit without asking first. If they say no then respect that answer. If they say yes take note of any and all instruction they give on its use.
5. If you need to borrow kit for the Meet free to ask on this thread. If you do borrow something it becomes your responsibility, it should go back to the owner as clean and tidy (and working!) as possible.
6. If you damage someone else’s kit you should be prepared to make reparations (borrowed or not!).
7. Respect the site and its other users. Please keep any bad language to an absolute minimum and quiet – it might hurt but the people the other side of the bushes usually don’t want or need to know.
8. Don’t use sharp/heavy/burny etc stuff if you’re feeling tired or unwell.
9. The ability to do emergency runs to A&E is important so if alcohol is consumed please ensure that at least two drivers are sober (I can’t drink OR drive).
10. You are responsible for both bringing any prescribed medication you need and taking it.
11. I’ll put out a health form to all those who confirm that they’re coming to the meet. This will need to be filled in and put in a sealed envelop (with your name written clearly on it) then given to me when you arrive (this way the contents will remain absolutely confidential - unless you have a serious incident). This form will require emergency home contact details and phone number(s) – preferably next-of-kin, don’t panic!!! In the highly unlikely event of you requiring serious medical attention the easy availability of this information would mean that the medical authorities don’t have to find out who they need to get permission from and then track them down
12. If you have an on going medical condition that people around you may need to know about please tell us (either in this thread or at the Meet). E.g. I have Epilepsy which becomes a problem when I’m tired – this shouldn’t cause any great problem at the Meet but complying with #7 could be problematic to someone who has tourettes (sp??)
13. You are responsible for your own actions (and those of any dependants with you) - if it’s not on this list it doesn’t automatically mean that it’s ok to do it!
14. If you think that someone's doing something unsafe then tell them (politely).

Any thoughts? Anything you think I've missed?
Does any one need a basic kit list?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've just realised that I didn't post the intended date in the post about who's interested in coming to this Meet (#61).
As discussed for quite a lot of this thread, this Meet is planned for the weekend of 19/20/21 October.
My appologies to those who can't make this Meet, but I don't doubt that there'll be a next time.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Ok, here's the flash earth view, if you want the road name as such like, click on the Microsoft (Lables) option in the top left.

Flash Earth Scout Map

--

Friday night:
decorum
skint
Rubber
Michelle (Depending on work)

Saturday:
decorum
skint
Rubber
Michelle

Saturday night:
decorumskint
skint
Michelle

Sunday:
decorum

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Just want to add that I may be bringing another two kids and my Mum (who wants to see why I like this stuff) She and the Kids will probably be in a tent. This is not in set in stone though, I'll have to confirm nearer to the time.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
No problem Michelle,

I've amended the list to show the possible extras.
Rubber, I'm not too sure where you went but I've re-included you - are you and bushcraft bailey one and the same? I've corrected the list :D

Friday night:
decorum
skint
bushcraft bailey
Michelle (Depending on work) (poss +3?)

Saturday:
decorum
skint
bushcraft bailey
Michelle (poss +3?)

Saturday night:
decorum
skint
Michelle (poss +3?)

Sunday:
decorum

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I thought so - but didn't want to assume. I've edited the list :D

Whilst I'm thinking (and so I don't confuse myself later;) ) if you're in the position where you might be bringing someone (or your family) can you post it when you register your own interest :D e.g. A.N.Other (poss +3?)

I'll post a new list Monday/Tuesday (01/02 October) so people can confirm that they want a place at the Meet. I'm looking to book with the site on the 08/09 October. I don't forsee any problem, but the 10 days between booking and arrival date give me time to work though questions, glitches etc - kit, site, weather etc.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Unashamed bump to keep the thread going :D

And having had an idea, to ask: Michelle, would you mind doing a short bit on how to take a better photo?

Oct 21, 2006
Birmingham
Is it worth now asking for a definite list of people are are going if we are sayingin Fri 19th -Sat 20th October

I can do on the Friday evening
Sense Awareness which runs for anywhere between 1 and two hours. Basically looking at the senses, looking at their capabilties/limits. Going into looking at night vision and how that works and techniques you can use to make the most of it.

On the Saturday I dont mind showing some bow drill/tinder/kindling/fire lays if anyone hasnt done that before.

If anyone wants me to do that, in effect sign up to take part, when they register they are attending, I`ll know if there is enough interest to do it or just bring beer and get legless :)

Are you still planning on joing us?, i am a newie and wouldn't mind doing some fire stuff

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just read this thread as an interest thing, I won't be able to make this meet as it is a bit too far away, but the emergency envelope got me thinking. I took my daughter to the last Delamere meet and I also took the family car. What would have happened to my daughter if I had seriously injured myself? The missus wouldn't have been able to pick her up as I had the car! I never considered that before.

You have raised a few doubts and queries in the way I get to meets when taking my kids. Thanks for highlighting something that I seriously need to make a plan for.

:thanks:

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Hopefully I can do the photography thing on the Saturday, if I do manage to get there on Friday then I'm probably not getting there until the afternoon or the evening and I'll need to sort stuff out so if anyone wants to the photography bit on the Saturday, afternoon if poss then let me know on the Saturday morning.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Michelle,

I've no idea what camera kit or experience of those who may come to the Meet will have(mine's very basic on both counts), so it'll probably be best if you base anything you want to do at absolute beginner level - camera phone and cheap/chearful compact.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Monday's come around and it's time for a new list. This time it’s time to confirm that you want to come and when you’ll be able to be there. As I’m going to be on site on the Sunday anyway so all weekend will be available; if you want to pop in but can only spare a couple of hours (or even an hour) you are more than welcome; as others have said before ‘It’s nice to put faces to names’

To add yourself to the list please copy and paste the section below. This list is to try and get a reasonably accurate idea of numbers, I'm intending to send the booking form off at 7p.m.(ish) this coming Friday (05/10/07) so I can book the pitch that will be most suitable for our group (a couple of the pitches are closed off for winter maintenance).

Friday night:
decorum,

Saturday:
decorum,

Saturday night:
decorum,

Sunday:
decorum,

For anyone new to this thread and also wishing to join us, please read post #64: 'In the interest of everyones health, safety, enjoyment etc.....'

As I posted before feel free to ask if you're lacking kit - or if there's a specific bit/type of kit which you'd like to try out.

Although this is a Meet in the Midlands you don't have to be a Midlander to come:D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE