Midlands meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
I query regarding CRB - I had on done about 3 years ago as I help run the bar at the local scouts "Gang Show" does one run by 1 organisation cover you for doing other things ?

Moving away from the CRB issue does anyone have an OS grid ref for the site as I am interested.

Mike

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Mike, as far as I am aware once you have one you have it for the period of its validity and it covers you for all eventualities where you may need one.

It is just that when you have one done initially it has to be under the umberella of an organisation that requires their staff / helpers /assistants to need one.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Mike, I'll need to dig out my map for the OS grid ref but the directions to the site are on the website: http://www.coventryscouts.org.uk/roughclose/Campsite.htm.

On the subject of CRBs: A CRB isn't cross-organisational - I have an enhanced CRB check, this is a more in-depth check than for a teacher but it doesn't enable me to work in a school - my Father has to have 5 valid CRBs - does anyone see why CRB backlogs happen?

I don't know if the site will require adults (18+) to have a valid CRB. If they do and yours is still valid it'll cover you if you go to the meet.
If you've got a valid CRB there should be no problem if any campsite says adult (18+) campers must have a valid CRB check - some specify that adults be CRB covered on their booking form.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Hi Mike, I'll need to dig out my map for the OS grid ref but the directions to the site are on the website: http://www.coventryscouts.org.uk/roughclose/Campsite.htm.

On the subject of CRBs: A CRB isn't cross-organisational - I have an enhanced CRB check, this is a more in-depth check than for a teacher but it doesn't enable me to work in a school - my Father has to have 5 valid CRBs - does anyone see why CRB backlogs happen?

I don't know if the site will require adults (18+) to have a valid CRB. If they do and yours is still valid it'll cover you if you go to the meet.
If you've got a valid CRB there should be no problem if any campsite says adult (18+) campers must have a valid CRB check - some specify that adults be CRB covered on their booking form.

When I did my nursey degree we had to have them and I am pretty sure that they waived the need for one if you could show you already have one............I'll ask the wife she knows these things, its part of her job.

I also know that I presented mine for something other than nursey school and it was happily accepted. I think the problem is that the agencies and companies that need it are ill informed and do not understand the legislation............a bit like the data protection act being mis-quoted by every call centre operator I ever get.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think a lot of the problem with the acceptance of any CRB(s) that an individual has is that each new place that you go wants to know that you've been checked as recently as possible and can prove it in any case of complaint. As it's down to the individual who holds the CRB to be honest about any accusation(s) that may occur between checks I think that, to an extent, the non-acceptance of prior checks is understandable.

It'll be good to get the low-down from some one whos' job it is to know the proper way the system should work.

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Just an offer of something for the weekend (madam?). If anyone is interested I could do a 2-3 hour session on sensory awareness and tracking.

Edit : Just reading back through the post someone metioned Fire By Friction, I can come and show that instead if people are interested.

Is there a date planned yet? I`m only free the 20/21st October though :-( Mind you, if there is a friday involved and it is held on the 6/7th weekend, I could come play on the friday.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
At the moment any weekend except the 12th to 14th is O.K with me. If it does go ahead that weekend I'll do my best to pop my head round the tree - I've just been reminded that I'll be on the site for something else on those days.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi jon,
CRB (Criminal Records Bureau) checks are there to tell an organisation/company et.c that at the date the CRB was issued that Joe/Josephine Bloggs was considered suitable to do the role that they were checked for. The most obvious reason for scouting to require a CRB check is to make sure that an adult (18+) is suitable to have unsupervised access to those under the age of 18 - which, in effect we'd have. Again, I don't know if it is a site requirement - if it is you'll be O.K anyway :D .

http://www.crb.gov.uk/Default.aspx?page=281

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Decorum, I asked the wife and she started on, and on, and on.......the upshot was that there are the two types of check, I think you said you have the higher level enhanced one that covers all things and everything.

BUT, the problem is that MANY organisations (the wifes included) want an upto date check and are not willing to accept one that was done even only a couple of weeks ago so that is why there is the repetition, and time wasting and £35.00 (this is what the wife pays as a company) a time expense in getting one done.

Fallow Way, Tracking, fire by friction........whatever you are willing to show mate, its all good stuff.

Any dates 'ish yet?

Is there a definative Yay or Nay or the need for a CRB, just so that people know?

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
Just an offer of something for the weekend (madam?). If anyone is interested I could do a 2-3 hour session on sensory awareness and tracking.

Edit : Just reading back through the post someone metioned Fire By Friction, I can come and show that instead if people are interested.

Is there a date planned yet? I`m only free the 20/21st October though :-( Mind you, if there is a friday involved and it is held on the 6/7th weekend, I could come play on the friday.

Sensory awareness and tracking sounds brilliant. But as the 20/21st is start of half term so can't make it I'm afraid but would be intersted any other time.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Sorry folks for the delay in getting a date, I've just started my first teaching post and so I'm pretty busy at the moment but I will make sure that I get a date sometime this week.

I haven't contacted the site yet about the CRB question but I am 99.9% sure that it won't be necessary. I have camped there twice with church youth groups and I know for a fact that adults were not required to be CRB checked. It's an interesting question but hopefully that will clear this one up.

MikeS

Forager
Sep 5, 2005
Peterborough
Best of luck in the new job, hope the "little" terrors aren't 2 bad.

Look forward to hearing the date and hopefully can make it.

Mike

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Hi folks, sorry this has taken so long but I'm finding it a bit difficult to arrange a date. The only date that will be possible in October is the weekend of the 20th. This will most likely be starting on the evening of the 19th and finishing either Sat evening or Sun morning for those that want to hang around. I'm concerned that if we leave it later than this then we might start to hit bad weather. The other possibility would be to begin, as some of you have suggested, with a day event. This might be a good opportunity for us to get to know each other with a view to organising regular midlands events in the future. So what are your opinions?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi heath,
I take it that CRBs aren't an issue for us then. I don't know if you've been told yet, but there'll be quite a large scouting event at the Close on the Sunday - there's plenty of space away from the event though :D . It's a County event and it could cause lengthy tail-backs for those wishing to get on and off the site (usually mid-morning and late after-noon).
Sorry if it seem like I'm just raising possible problem issues - I am genuinely looking forward to the meet :D .

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE