Midlands meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 8, 2005
Birmingham
Hi Heath

The weekend of the 20th suits me fine. I agree with you on having it sooner rather later for weather reasons. Plus I'm disappearing with my canoe in Scotland in November and probably wouldn't be allowed out to play for a while!

Some people might not be so keen on spending a night in the woods with strangers :eek: so suggesting an initial day meet is a good idea. I'd have no problems with an over-nighter though.

Marcus

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
can we not have both?

That that do not want to stay over......dont.

Those that do.........do?
:D

It is just for me personally, it would be better to come and spend a night there, rather than turn around and be heading back after a few hours.

Besides....how can I spring a suprise night tracking exercise at 3am on you all :)

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Thanks for the info Decorum, I didn't realise there was something on, I don't think it's on their online calendar. With that in mind, maybe it would be best to start on the Friday evening for those that are interested in staying overnight, and then ending on the Sat evening. That way we can avoid the rush on Sun and those that just want a day thing can just come for the Saturday?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
No worries heath - the date of the event has only just been fixed so it's not on the site calendar yet.
I'll post event start/finish times for any at the meet who might still be on site on the Sunday.
I'll also see if I can buff up my persuasive skills and ask if they'll allow those with cars to park reasonably near the pitch :D

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
Is it worth now asking for a definite list of people are are going if we are sayingin Fri 19th -Sat 20th October

I can do on the Friday evening
Sense Awareness which runs for anywhere between 1 and two hours. Basically looking at the senses, looking at their capabilties/limits. Going into looking at night vision and how that works and techniques you can use to make the most of it.

On the Saturday I dont mind showing some bow drill/tinder/kindling/fire lays if anyone hasnt done that before.

If anyone wants me to do that, in effect sign up to take part, when they register they are attending, I`ll know if there is enough interest to do it or just bring beer and get legless :)

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
Ok it sounds like that would be the best date then. I haven't spoken to the site yet so hold your horses decorum. I need to gat an idea of numbers first so I can clear it with them, so as Fallow Way mentioned, if you can make it then post up asap

Oct 21, 2006
Birmingham
I should be able to make that date, not sure on the overnighter yet.

So to make it easier for Heath to see whose coming. i'll start a copy n paste list. So those who want to come, just copy and paste list and add your name to the bottom.

1. Heath
2. Fallow way
3. Decorum
4. Rubber

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
1. Heath
2. Fallow way
3. Decorum
4. Rubber
5. marcusd
6. Michelle (Possible)

--

Its going to be my birthday on the 21st so I'll see what is happening. Hopefully I can come as we normally celebrate my birthday with my brother's on the 14th. :)

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
1. Heath
2. Fallow way
3. Decorum
4. Rubber
5. marcusd
6. Michelle (Possible)
7. Tourist plus sprog (Saturday for the day, I'm away the weekend before and SWMBO will use the shears if I disappear for 2 weekends)

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
can I just say that I'm really $orry to all the people that have posted on here so far but I'm afraid that the weekend in question is no good for me now. Hopefully you will understand that bushcraft has to come bottom of a list of priorities that include my wife,family and work commitments. I really am $orry but I'm going to have to let you down as a more important commitment has come up. Now of course this doesn't mean that this thread has been a waste of time or even that a meet can't go ahead for the weekend in question, I just don't think it would be a good idea for me to organise it when I can't actually attend. It sounds like Decorum has already had some dealings with rough close so maybe he would be willing to arrange something (I don't mean to put you on the spot) or another venue. If nothing else we now have any idea of some fellow midlanders that would be interested in meeting up. I promise I will make some new arrangements as soon as I have a bit more time, even if it's just for a day meet.
$orry again
Heath

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi heath,
sorry to hear that you can't make the meet. No need to appologise for anything - you got the ball rolling :D - I think it was John Lennen who said something like 'Life's what happens when you're busy making plans'.

I've no problem with your suggestion of taking the reins but due to circumstances (partially out of my control) the only site I can make it to will be Rough Close. So if we get knocked back by the site I'll have to offer the reins to someone else too.

I'll phone the site this evening to find out where we stand on the CRB issue. If you'll still be under 18 by the end of the meet and you want to come, the CRB issue dooesn't apply to you - irrespective of the sites decision on those over 18 years.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
If this is still going ahead I'd love to pop bye, probably only for the day but it would be grate to finely meet up with some local bushcrafter. Providing the CRB thingy isn't a problem, I don't have one and am over 18.

Oct 21, 2006
Birmingham
Don't worry Heath, you managed to get things moving and generate some interest, hopefully Decorum will be able to keep the ball rolling and sort something out. If not, i'm sure that we will be able to sort something out in the future.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Best laid plans and all that!
I'll phone the site this evening to find out where we stand on the CRB issue.
I've not been able to get in contact.....yet! The latest I'll know their CRB policy is Saturday evening; when I'll be on the site . That's assuming that the Bookings Secretary's on site, if not I'll grab hold of the one of the senior crew members :D .

Just so it's up front and open - If non-CRB'd adults are permitted there might be rules and regs for all of us to follow - if there are I'll post them here as soon as possible.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I've spoken to the Booking Secretary and we've been given the green light!
The site policy on CRB's is very dependant on the time of year, the type of camper(s) and who's already booked to go onto the site.

Some pics of the pocket site we're likely to be using:

s2020002aib8.jpg

s2020004apv8.jpg

s2020006akb3.jpg

And finally: The Pocket Site Sprite?
s2020007ewoklz9.jpg

This is one of the pocket sites I helped to develop; so using it is always a bit like going home :D

I'll post more later this morning - it's 01:45 and it's too late and I'm too tired to post full details at the moment. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE