Midlands meet up

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I'll check the viability of a deepish fire pit this w/e. The established fire area in the pocket site needs a serious sort out as
campers have failed to remove the left overs :yikes: :soapbox: :buttkick: :slap: :twak: :AR15firin :1244: If it is a problem I might be able to this essential clear up as leaverage. The stones will be more of a problem as the site has a long term policy against using bricks, rocks etc for fires and as a result there aren't many laying about on site anymore. Spit roast would be a good back up plan as we can use the same stuff in almost the same manner.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Never mind waiting until the w/e to find out stuff :D It's ok for us to have a pit roast *if* (and it's a really big if!) we can find the stones to line it. The laws of poor timing have interceded on the pocket site I wanted to book - someone else booked first :sigh: . Instead I've gone for a pitch which is closer to a water tap but slightly further to a toilet block (a better block (it has showers for those wishing to freshen/clean up :cool: ).
As this is an open forum I'll Pm those coming closer to the time with detaiIs of where to park.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Thanks for checking Decorum, if we can't find stones, it's ok, we can spit roast, no problem at all. I'm actually looking forward to cooking on an open fire again and my mum is also looking forward to her first go on an open fire since god knows when ;)

I can't believe that the last people didn't clean up, that's what gets us banned from site, damn the rudeness of people. It's disgraceful.

Looking forward to it nevertheless.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Michelle,

I can't believe that the last people didn't clean up, that's what gets us banned from site, damn the rudeness of people. It's disgraceful.
Too true and to make it worse I don't think that the detritus is from just one weekend :banghead: :red: :aargh4: :nutkick: :slap: :buttkick: :twak: :AR15firin :argue: :yuck: :nono:.

Although this pocket site (see post #60) was my prefered pitch we can't use it as someone got their booking form in first.
I'm not that familiar with the pitch which we'll be using, but I'll be able to give it a good scout about this w/e as I'll be pitched just across the track :D

Due to the size/shape of pocket sites I need an approximation of size of the shelter(s) those coming to the Meet intend to use. That way I'll be able to guestimate whether the pitch will be big enough.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
Hi Michelle,

Too true and to make it worse I don't think that the detritus is from just one weekend :banghead: :red: :aargh4: :nutkick: :slap: :buttkick: :twak: :AR15firin :argue: :yuck: :nono:.

--

Due to the size/shape of pocket sites I need an approximation of size of the shelter(s) those coming to the Meet intend to use. That way I'll be able to guestimate whether the pitch will be big enough.

I hate it when people don't clear up, expecting some one else to do it for them, it really p*sses me off. I mean how long does it actually take to chuck rubbish into a bag and then put it into the bin as you are leaving grrr.

Anyway, I'm going to be under a tarp in a hammock and mum's in a smallish four man tent. I don't think I'll need much room but a spot near to the fire would be lovely as it is getting rather cold at night. I'm not bringing a tent as I'm a convert now :D

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Hi Bob,

You're most welcome to join us (pending you're permissions of course). The Meet-up in question is next weekend - 19/20/21 October. Most of the relevant info which you need is in post #64 of this thread. Just stick your name on this list to confirm that you're going to join us - can you include your *possibles* (like Michelle has).

Location: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.s...srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&ax=426422&ay=277969

I'm away this weekend so I won't be able to answer queries until Monday. I'll send out the Emergency Contact Form at the beginning of the week too (post #64 - I think).

Friday night:
decorum,
skint (+1)
Michelle (possibly) (+3)
Podcast Bob (possible)
JonBaker

Saturday:
decorum,
skint (+1)
Michelle (+3)
Podcast Bob (possible)

Saturday night:
decorum,
skint (+1)
Michelle (+3)
Podcast Bob (possible)

Sunday:
decorum,
Michelle (+3)
Podcast Bob (possible)

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
I think Skint wants to play with the fire bow, I've been asked to do a quick photography session and then it's just usually gathering wood, making stuff and having a chat.:)

The meets are usually a chance to get to know people off the forum and also to get away from it all with like-minded people. It isn't like a moot where there are events planned but if you would like to learn something I'm sure at least one person will know and will be happy to teach you.

skint

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2007
Leicestershire
We will be bringing 1 small dome tent and 1 hammock set up. Hopefully with a new group buy underblanket to try if it arrives this week.

Paul

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks for the info folks - we'll fit onto the pocket site :D
Thanks for answering the question michelle - nicely put :cool: .

Please copy and paste the form below into Word (or other of your choice).

=============================================================
Emergency Home Contact and Personal Information Form.

This form should be folded and put in a sealed envelope - for each person attending!. Please write the name of the
person the form relates to across the seal as well as on the front of the envelope.
The envelope will only be opened in the unlikely event that you require serious
medical attention.

Please fill out two copies of this form! Leave one copy with a responsible person prior to
leaving home (18+ for legal reasons) and pass the other to the form holder as soon as you arrive
at the Meet.

Place of Meet:
Address: ..................................................................................
..................................................................................
..................................................................................

Site Contact Number (So you can be contacted whilst you are away)
(.............) ............................
Date: From: ........../........../.......... To: ........../........../..........
Time Leaving home: ........................

Estimated time of Arrival at Meet: ...................

Estimated Time leaving Meet: .................

Estimated Time of Arrival at Home: .......................

Emergency Contact Name: ...........................................................

Relationship: .......................................................

Primary Home Contact Phone Number:
(..........) ...................
Other Number(s):

Emergency Contact Address: ...........................................................
.......................................................................................
.......................................................................................

Relationship: ..........................................................

Medical Condition(s): ...............................................

Name and dosage of ANY Medication being taken:

=================================================================

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
On a 'not very bushcrafty' note; the showers in the main toilet block are free to use by all site users and there is also a site shop (The Providore) which you may wish to use.

skint, Michelle, Podcast Bob I'm just about to PM parking details and pitch location to you.

JonBaker

Tenderfoot
Sep 24, 2007
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Decorum

I will be coming for Friday night only - will leave around 2pm on saturday afternoon.

There will be just me and I will using a tarp and bivi.

Can you please send me details on parking and the pitch location, etc

Thanks

Jon

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
I think I volunteered myself as monies holder some time back. It'll probably be best if the money was passed to me on arrival (or soon after) so I can let the site know how many of us there are. It'll also give me the chance to confirm fees with each person/party.

Reminder for fees (From the link in post #64): The cost for those staying from the Friday until the Sunday is £6 per person.
Staying over for one night will cost £3 (each)
Visiting for 3 hours £0.75 (each)
Visiting for 6 hours £1.75 (each)

The location link in post #107 should have the facility to zoom in and out - if it doesn't can someone please give me a shout.
Time to say sorry - I had fully intended to take some helpful photos to aid finding the site/pitch but I got a bit stretched last weekend and ran out of time.

I think we need to put our collective heads together to sort out the Pit/Spit Roast- who'll bring what, sharing of cost etc

If anyone has any queries please voice them.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
IMO I'm thinking that we each bring enough for ourselves and then we cook everything and share it all, kinda like a feast? If not then we can just cook our own individual meals together.

We've got a lump of pork for the roast, also tats and I'm going to get some carrots, swede or turnip and parsnips as well.

Any idea on what there is to gather there, I'm worried that because it is such a well used site that there won't be anything. We could do with a crab-apple tree and if there are any haws about that would work for a nice sauce for pork, also if anyone is bringing lamb ( I may see what there is on offer at the local butchers), I can get some mint for the sauce if there isn't any water mint about.

skint

Tenderfoot
Jul 30, 2007
Leicestershire
I can bring lamb (a leg of?) but cooking is not my strong point! What day do you think we will do this roast? It may be my wife could come for this and make a better contribution to the effort than me but she cannot stay long because she is looking after her parents at the moment.

Cobweb

Native
Aug 30, 2007
South Shropshire
How about Saturday, start cooking at about two? Friday is out for us as I estimate our arrival time at about 6 -7 pm which leaves little daylight to set up in. What do you think Decorum?

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Sounds good to me. Time-wise Saturday would definately be the better choice for the roast.
Usually there is stuff which can be foraged; I think part of the fun will be to have a good walk around - because I wasn't able to have a grub about last weekend I'll not say what should be there. Having said that the haws should be okay - no promises though :eek:

I've got good connections to at least one of the other groups who'll be on site with us so that gives further choices.

I'll pick up some meat (not sure what yet) later this week. Roast yam anyone?

If any Meeter is in anyway concerned about finding the site entrance P.M me and I'll send you my Mobile number. When you're about 30mins away give me a bell and I'll walk out to the road.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE