Mid Life Crisis question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
we are all here to do something different

be happy with your lot or put the effort in to change it...

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
The goal of life is to reconnect to the source. And rest asure the soul is eternal.

Please do not be misguided.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
At this point it may be worthwhile to ask the question 'what is life?'.

[video=youtube;QOCaacO8wus]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOCaacO8wus[/video]

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Now that really fits in with my philosophy on life!
Our life continues after death just as our death in another form continued into this life and we are no more dead or alive than the rocks, trees and animals :)

Last edited:

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
:)

@ Corso: sorry did not mean to be religious.
more of a simple native tribemans view on Nature, which is also Bushcraft ;)
I also like to see the world like brother/sister tree, plant and deer.

@ Swallow: Indeed we are connected, but clouds obscure or view. everyone has budha nature/ Krsna consciousness/ Wu Wei . Indeed the rest is not for this forum.
haha really funny your smart comparison about the knife threads and religion. Spot on :).

@sandbender; nice contribution to this nice thread, view from another perpective

All be well
I am off the cook some really nice chestnuts. Autumn is here.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Latest posts remind me of this BBC Documenatary:

What we still dont know; Are we Real?

[video=youtube;oyH2D4-tzfM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyH2D4-tzfM[/video]

MUCH Better Copy here:http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xw5pja_what-we-still-don-t-know-episode-3-are-we-real_shortfilms

In a nutshell what this programme reveals is that;

Physics discovered, an anti gravity force, in space, called the cosmological constant, so finely tuned, that without it the universe would not have existed, we would never have existed, it shows that 'creation' could not have been 'luck'

The Odds that it was luck, and not by design; are one part in a trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion trillion.

Physicists dont like this because 'A designed universe requires a designer'

UNLESS, there are endless universes, each one, endlessly different, and therefore the odds that we exist were bound to happen somewhere.

This is the Multiverse theory. So, in other words, if there not endless universes, there is a 'god' or designer. But wait! This path then led them to the conclusion, that a multiverse must also be designed!

Now, knowing all that, how important does that make our own individual lives? More important, or completely insignificant?

Last edited:

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Lovely passage in E V Lucas' anthology The Open Road (1899). An old farmer was dying and the Vicar told him he was going to a better place. "Better place! I don't want no better place but here with a thousand a year and my old mare that goes over fences, Tup, Tup." Exactly, this is it so enjoy it while you are here. Mark Twain said that he was dead for billions of years before birth and suffered not the slightest inconvenience and the same would be so when he died.

Only problem we really have is too many hobbies and things to do but if a project has to take its turn, so what? Nobody is paying me to do it and the planning etc, is a pleasure in itself anyway. Payback for sticking a working life that at time was irksome and sometimes horrible as well as incredibly rewarding in a non-material sense.

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
I guess I start from the position that: why would their be a reason?? Maybe the question isn't even valid!

So in the meantime... have fun, enjoy people, enjoy life... learn, experience, help, create, teach... and be happy!! :)

i have read this whole blog and been thoroughly engrossed and thank all posters.

dont personally do the open the heart to all or lifes theories. but!!! having spent of quarter of a century working in queen and country service with the outdoors as a hobby attached i am still bemused by the human race. acts of genocide to moments of human spirit and kindness beyond measure i have witnessed so the quote above simple sums it up for me.

mid life crisis?? what actually is it anyway. early fifties. semi retired. 2 grown up kids of my back. financially anyway. ex wife the same although still possibly the kindest human i ever met. so kind she married me. plenty of time to reminisce past lost family and friends now many long gone. my mid life crisis is finding something to get my teeth into for a while. a project. a trip/expedition maybe. thats my crisis. im so lucky. so grateful. not religious at all although i find solace in the scriptures words. sermon on the mount says it all. you can be total atheist i guess and get it. matthew 5 3 12 cheers dave. gr8 post
3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

5 “Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

6 “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

7 “Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

8 “Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

9 “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons[a] of God.

10 “Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Physics discovered, an anti gravity force, in space, called the cosmological constant, so finely tuned, that without it the universe would not have existed, we would never have existed, it shows that 'creation' could not have been 'luck'

The argument that the cosmo constant keeps our universe in order may well be true, but the premise that because its finely tuned, there must be a creator/designer is just daft. That is like the argument that because a train nearly hit you, but didn't, there must be a creator watching over you, conveniently ignoring the fact that other people have been killed by trains.

A more likely scenario is that if there is no universe without a finely tuned cosmo constant, that the beginnings of our universe was like Edison and the light bulb. It didn't fail to make a universe, it just found thousands of ways not to make a universe until the right set of circumstances came along that worked. The cosmo constant effectively finely tuned itself by fluctuating until the correct value meant it no longer needed to do so.

This is relevant to the subject of the thread though. When you consider that the common elements in the human body mirror the most common elements in the world (hydrogen, oxygen, carbon etc) and those mirror the most common elements in the universe (excluding helium) and combine that with the theory that all elements are released into the universe by the death of stars, we are in effect the children of stars. We're literally at one with the universe and being that these common elements are thought to be the building blocks of life, it is reasonable to presume that what has happened on Earth is no accident, no random occurrence... so there could be thousands, millions, even billions of lifeforms in the universe.

Makes the question about what is life all about mute. There is life because its inevitable in the universe. What are we here for? We're simply here, an inevitable result of the common elements found in the universe. What should we do with this life? Explore :D

Then again, it could be like the marble thingy in Men in Black... we could be the play thing of an omnipotent being... no different than a child playing with lego (albeit lego that moves and reacts independently).

Holy moly... we're all in the Lego Movie!?!?! :p

Ferret75

Life Member
Sep 7, 2014
Derbyshire
How many of you have figured out what it is you were put on this earth to do, or is it still as much of a mystery to you, as it is to me?
For various reasons, I've revisited this same question myself many times in life. I have looked at it from a religious perspective (In my teens I was going to be a priest) and then from a scientific point of view (having had a very long relationship with the outdoors, I looked into all things evolutionary including biology and physics etc). I'm now 40, have been with my 56year old wife for 20 years, I have three grown-up step kids, and they have recently added two grandsons to the collection.

I have seen some pretty horrific things throughout my different careers, but none of which I can pin any deep metaphysical meaning to, except maybe to learn from them. I have read all manner of books, some on religion, philosophy, psychology evolution etc. but Pratchett always came out on top - life is jam packed with ironies and contradictions which he brilliantly and humourously portrayed. At this point in my life I am of the opinion that there is no answer, there are simply choices; but of course ironically this may change and at some point I may choose to contradict this!

My philosophy has been to try and live life by doing no harm and try to help those I meet along the way should they want me to - that's my chosen purpose; whether I believe this path is happening arbitrarily, has already been defined for me through 'nature / nurture' or possibly set out as part of the ineffable plan of a higher being, it doesn't quite matter, because, no matter what, I'm still the one who finds himself living it. When circumstances change, as they always do, I'll have some new choices to make, but they will still be around that same philosophy above, because it strikes me as a good life to live and is good for others around me too.

I have never had my own kids and I don't regret this at all. I made this a personal choice very early on, feeling that the world had enough problems without me adding to them and also that I did not want children of mine brought up inheriting the problems of the world. I haven't seen anything as yet to make me regret this. Some people call this 'selfish', but I have never fully understood why, because surely you have to be depriving or disadvantaging somebody else to be 'selfish' and I don't feel that I have.

If you feel 'directionless', look around for a 'path' you like the look of and make a conscious, reasoned choice to follow it, whether it has a deep purpose, a hedonistic goal or its simply to satisfy your curiosity. We all have regrets about choices we have made, but 'the person who has never made a mistake, has probably never done anything at all' and if you made your decisions with genuine good intentions your regrets will be minor and short lived.

So endeth the first book of Ferret75!! I'm going out to wander the wilderness and find some suspicious looking fungi.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The argument that the cosmo constant keeps our universe in order may well be true, but the premise that because its finely tuned, there must be a creator/designer is just daft.

That is what it says in the documentary though.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That is what it says in the documentary though.

An Inconvenient Truth with superstar Al Gore was a documentary, it even won an Oscar I think... and that didn't turn out so well when science proved it to have some serious errors.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
A more likely scenario is that if there is no universe without a finely tuned cosmo constant, that the beginnings of our universe was like Edison and the light bulb. It didn't fail to make a universe, it just found thousands of ways not to make a universe until the right set of circumstances came along that worked. The cosmo constant effectively finely tuned itself by fluctuating until the correct value meant it no longer needed to do so.

There's a lot of linguistic "spooks" in there. You have an "It" that is "not failing" and "finding".

If Edison was a designer/inventor/creator then why is the "It" not a designer/inventor/creator.

If Edison was not a designer then what was he?

Back on Topic....

isn't it entirely normal to review results and tactics at half time? You don't hear of a mid-match crisis in the same way? It's just called half-time.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
There's a lot of linguistic "spooks" in there. You have an "It" that is "not failing" and "finding".

If Edison was a designer/inventor/creator then why is the "It" not a designer/inventor/creator.

If Edison was not a designer then what was he?

Back on Topic....

isn't it entirely normal to review results and tactics at half time? You don't hear of a mid-match crisis in the same way? It's just called half-time.

The 'it' is for want of a better word, used to describe the cosmos constant. 'It' is an 'it', 'it' isn't a he or a she, 'it' doesn't imply consciousness, nor intent.

And Edison was brought in simply for his famous saying about how many fails before a find, not in reference to anything Edison did, designed or created.

If a rock falls a thousand times without breaking and breaks on the thousand and one fall, 'it' isn't a designer/inventor/creator... 'it' is a rock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE