Microsoft Access question.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
I know this is very much off topic but I could use a hand.

What I'm doing?
I am making a First Aid databse for my work place.

What will it do?
It will use non-confidential information from Patient Report Forms to enable middle and upper management to use queries to search various criteria E.G. What age ranges are hurting themselves, where are people hearting themselves the most, or which first aiders are doing the most work etc.

What help do I need?
I want to make it so that when you click on the file, it opens up a front page straight away with 2 buttons (for now?) 1 which says "Search" and another that says "Add new Data"

ANy advice for making this easier would be very much appreciated as well.

Thank you :)

Wolves. :)

P.S. Sorry I haven't been on in a while, I've had a busy work period and haven't been able to get to a house with internet connections. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thats a doddle mate - it can all be done with Macros and forms and a few controls. Absolutely no code needed. I susect some static tables would be useful to normalise the data (locations, first aiders, age ranges etc.)

What do you need to know?

Data entry is easy - just a form linked to the "accident" table. The accident table should look at some standing data tables to ensure consistent entry by using drop down boxes (use lookuo as the field type when creating the accident table)

The Search can use some unbound controls based on the data in the static tables and then run a query which matches the data in the control to the data in control. Or you can "can" some queries using sort order for "busiest first aider", "most common location" etc.

What else do you need to know?

Red

chrish

Feb 2, 2007
Glasgow
What version Access are you using?

The built in wizzards are excellent and often you can use it to see how something even if it means you have to fiddle with it.

Boatswain

Tenderfoot
May 18, 2007
South London
You probably want to have the data in a seperate file from the forms and be attached, that way several users can access the data at the same time.

You need to create an autoexec within access to open the first form.

cheers Roy

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Rob,

As others have noted, it sounds like a fairly simple database will suit your needs. If you can define a spec for what you want don't be suprised if someone here can knock up a prototype for you. :)

What I have found useful when designing database systems is to work backwards, i.e. what information do you want to extract from the data? Once you know this you can ensure that that information is being captured and stored and in the correct datatypes.

It is also then easy, as BR noted, to created 'canned' queries/reports linked to a button on a form.

Stu

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Regarding launching a form on start up...

You could use a macro called Autoexec which will automatically run when the database is opened and use the macro to open a form.

Or

Use the Startup dialog (under the Tools menu if I remember right) to select a form to be opened when you start.

Also, you could use the Switchboard manager to make a menu. It's a wizard, again I think on the Tools menu. Simplistic but you could tweak the form once it's been built.

Andy

Mar 28, 2007
Leicestershire, England.
Thank you all for your VERY helpful replies. the info would be:

PRF# | Date | Gender | Age | Location | Injury | Treatment | Initials
N\A |11/12/2003 | M | 6 | Cafe | Burn| Assessed, ice, advised. | RC
00001 | 18\06\2007| F | 8 | Wil Water|Slipped, hurt arm.| Assessed, ice, advised. | RC

that would be the table. and all the required input information.

The search is to isolate one of the fields e.g. location specifics. e.g. what accidenta have happened in the café in the lt year. etc etc.

Sadly i havent touched access in nearly 6 years.

Is this and more specific ?

Thanks again I really appreciate this, thankfully 'm not on a work deadline and they're too stressed about the risk assessments to hastle me about the first aid database at the minute :)

Wolves. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE