Method of Carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
No this is not a workshop on to how to create telekenetic powers in teenage girls :knifecut: :nono:

I noticed some very varied and unusual carry methods for knife sheaths at the meet up .. For instance there were a few armpit carriers, Stuart was horizontal (or at least his knife was :wink: ) what's your prefered carry method and why and what benefits do you see in the method of carry?

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I used to utilize the neck carry but I find that most knives are too heavy for that kind of carry and then went for the over the shoulder baldrick. However, in that configuration the knife is free to move about a lot.

What I now do is take a length of paracord twice the distance from my nose to fingertips and knot it into a loop. Then thread the sheath onto it and put the knife in my left armpit and take the loop over the left shoulder, cross if over on the back and put my right arm through the loop. it sounds confusing but in reality it isn't. Not perfect but a good compromise.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Yep, Adi, I noticed that one at the meetup and it is one of the reasons I asked the question ..... what benefit do you believe this has over a more traditional belt carry?

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I find that the knife is easier to reach and withdraw/replace in that configuration. Also, I find belt carry makes sitting/moving more difficult. I also think it's more discreet.

I do like the idea of a horizontal sheath on a belt ... which I will be experimenting with shortly!

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

I carry my knives in the normal belt method, no matter the size. But in public areas, when traveling, I find it best to pack it in the rucksack. :wink:

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
Horizontal carry is one of my favorites. It stays out of the way when you sit and is always ready at the cross draw.

Dozier3.jpg

Also a horizontal sheath turns into the perfect upside down vertical sheath for pack strap carry when on the move.

Clip1640.jpg

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
When in the woods I usually where my knife around the neck. Usually inside the shirt.I know that its there,and it dont flop around.In town I put it in my pack. The only knife that I wear on the belt would be my kukare.[spelled it wrong] Glen,is that a Dozer knife you are wearing?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
14sqft of 8oz veg tanned

:lol:

I like the idea of wearing it round the neck (or rather i did like the idea :roll: ) but i found the WS micarta to big for that kind of thing. So belt wear was best. I find a good way of keeping it discreet is to tuck the knife into your pocket while around your belt. I was suprised to see Ray Mears was doing this in the Arizona Desert. Its better to put it into your back pocket, but it makes it slightly uncomfortable while sitting down.

Baldrick is another alternative but it does move around a lot. What i plan is to replace the WS Micarta and then order the bison Bushcraft, i could see myself wearing one of those around my neck.

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
The main reason I want to play with kydex is because by designing my own sheath, while it might be rough :eek:): , will make me think more about carry and hopefully I will come up with something usable. Dunno though, still waiting for inspiration! :rolmao:

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
a small mora fitrs into my pocket quite well. I also like a belt carry with some sort of strap so that it can bend though this does tend to make taking the knife out a bit more tricky. I don't like horizontal carry as I tend to have a pack on and it gets in the way of a hip belt

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Andy said:
a small mora fitrs into my pocket quite well. I also like a belt carry with some sort of strap so that it can bend though this does tend to make taking the knife out a bit more tricky. I don't like horizontal carry as I tend to have a pack on and it gets in the way of a hip belt
I agree with you about the hip belt and I feel a little bit uncomfortable strapping the knife to the backpack in case I get separated from it.

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
Nightfall said:
Glen,is that a Dozer knife you are wearing?

Yes, and the knives pictured above are actually two different Doziers. One is the Companion and one is the A G Russel Personal Utility. I really like his sheaths.

Andy said:
I don't like horizontal carry as I tend to have a pack on and it gets in the way of a hip belt

Not necessarily. I carry the Mountainsmith Wraith for a daypack these days and there are attachment points right on the hip belt if you don't want to carry the knife on the shoulder strap.

DW5.jpg

Now this sheath is open on one side with a sort of C clip and while it is very secure it comes off in seconds when you want it to and goes on your trouser belt when not on your pack's hip belt or shoulder strap. I really like the choices it gives. I have literally crawled through thick brush on my belly and the knife stayed very secure.

Also those grommets are open so I have laced lanyard through and carried it as a necker at times.

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Simon said:
14sqft of 8oz veg tanned :eek:):

Really may I ask where you get that from? I've just picked up The Leather Working Handbook by Valerie Michael and need some veg tat to get started with.

Cheers

Paul

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Adi, from your description sounds like a string shoulder holster.I thought about that one before as they makem out of that lightweight cordura for mobile phones and the rigging could be adapted with the addition of kydex or Leather(SIMON) :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE