Basic use of a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I wanted to try and document the few knife techniques I use a lot of, in the following pictures I am using a simple Frosts knife, the 740 in carbon steel and the C223, big chopper! That is also carbon steel and so far holds an excellent edge, even after a fight with the flagstone floor in my cellar whilst taking the pictures! :rolleyes:

This is not a definitive be all and end all, I’d rather the thread was used as an instructional thread, so if others can add to it with pictures then please do; otherwise it gets gummed up with chatter.

Before trying any of these methods, make sure you have a number of things:

1. A sharp, strong capable knife.
2. A First Aid Kit and the knowledge of how to use it in an emergency.
3. A clear area without distractions. Always ensure your follow through is safe and not moving towards yourself or others. Keep well away from the inside of the groin, apart from us guys having what we think is pretty important there, everybody has a very important main artery there that if cut will bleed out and you’ll die in no time. Be careful.

That’ll do for now. If you want to know more about knife safety, check out this thread:

General Outdoor Cutting Tool Safety

First of all, a grip I use which is called, I believe, the Chest Lever Grip. Holding the knife in the normal hand, rotate the knife so that the edge is away from you and your thumb rests on the flat of the blade. The piece of wood to be cut is in your other hand. This can be used to take shavings off of a piece of wood or to cut a piece of wood in to two at an angle. It is also good for making the points on tent pegs.

HPIM3011.jpg

The blade is biting into the wood, hands are on the chest and the lungs are empty. Draw in a big breath and slightly move your elbows towards your spine, you are pivoting your wrists on your rib cage. The blade will slice off a nice piece of wood. Sorry about the out of focus shot, my wife took the pics and obviously had other things on her mind!

HPIM3015.jpg

Here is the piece that came off.

HPIM3013.jpg

Next is a Power Cut. Quite simple really, the knife is held in the conventional way in a firm grip, the work piece is held in the other hand. The knife bites into the wood and pressure is applied with the cutting hand. Some people keep the knife hand still and pull the work piece towards them, find what suits you.

HPIM3016.jpg

As cutting pressure is applied, a nice curl of wood comes up.

HPIM3017.jpg

At the end of the cut, the wood chip flies off and the knife enters my free space or safe follow through area.

HPIM3018.jpg

A view over the shoulder. Notice the wood chip on my wife’s rug, she is so happy!

HPIM3019.jpg

For a more controlled cut, place the knife in the gap just below your knee cap. Make sure you put the spine next to your flesh or you won’t have a knee cap for long! The work piece is held in the other hand and this is pulled against the blade. The knife hand controls the angle of attack and holds the knife steady, this is good for controlled use of the blade and also as a make shift plane of sorts.

HPIM3021.jpg

You can see the curl of wood getting bigger as the work piece is drawn back.

HPIM3022.jpg

For finer curls and detailed work, use your thumbs. Dunno the name, Thumb Push Cut, maybe? Who cares, it is quite obvious how it works, you can see the thumb nails whitening as they push on the spine of the knife.

HPIM3023.jpg

HPIM3025.jpg

Next up is battoning a knife. Now, if you have an axe, there would be no need to do this, but it can get you out of a pickle if you don’t have one or the haft has broken and you are miles form civilisation. (Not gonna really happen in Britain! :rolleyes:)

First off, set the knife on top of the piece you want to batton. You need a good stout piece of a branch to hit it with, only a foot or so long.

HPIM3027.jpg

Wallop the blade above the stick you want to split with the batton. The knife will now be in the wood up to the spine.

HPIM3028.jpg

Now you hit the spine of the blade just as it protrudes from the wood. I have been told it is best if you can keep the point of the knife higher than the handle; it supposedly stops a lot of stress on the blade and stops the fixing into the handle from failing at a critical moment. Dunno how true that is though, just pretend it is your bank manager and wallop it!

HPIM3029.jpg

Once the split is fairly large, drop the batton, pick up the work piece and twist the knife in the work piece. This widens the split and lets it carry on to the end.

HPIM3031.jpg

If it doesn’t split all the way, release the twist, move the knife down the split and repeat the twist.

HPIM3032.jpg

HPIM3034.jpg

Another method for splitting, one more often used with an axe than a knife, is the method that follows and that I know no name for. Of course, I could use the baton, but you could do this without one on a large log or whatever to protect the edge of your knife. This will work with large knives, smaller knives stick to the batton.

Set the knife up with the work piece in the other hand.

HPIM3036.jpg

You bring them both up together and bring them sharply down onto a chopping block or log. The knife will split the work piece, then apply a twisting motion similar to before to split the work piece in two.

HPIM3037.jpg

The large knife can also be used to create feather sticks, I had to try after a recent discussion on a large bowie failing at this. I reckon I was wrong, it must have just been my Dad that is no good! They aren’t perfect, but they were quick and done just to show that a big knife can do the job. The curls move according to the angle at which you tip the knife. Tip up or tip down and they shoot off left and right, knife parallel with the floor and they curl straight down like a tongue!

Tip down, the curls are going off to my right.

HPIM3043.jpg

Tip up, they go left.

HPIM3046.jpg

Straight on, you get a flopping tongue of wood!

HPIM3047.jpg

If anybody can add by way of photgraphs and an explanation, then please do.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
Nice informative post there Spamel going to have to try them next time I'm in the woods. I particularly liked the technique for splitting with the big knife brining both the knife and stick down together.

Thanks for sharing. :You_Rock_

BTW what kind of watch is that your wearing, looks like my Russian Vostok Amphibian in profile.

Andy

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Superb thread Spam.

I know you said no gumming up - ironic request from Johnny OT :p ;) but I am hoping this is a prelude to the sharps use chat at Middlewood you are giving? ;)

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
For the batoning split, after the intial parting of the wood I turn the knife upside down and twist that, using the thicker spine to do the work of leveraging, my reasoning being that it's less likely to damage than spine than the blade.

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
Nice thread spamel

Good to see your choppers not as black and blue as the last time I saw it! ;) :D

ps. Sent you a PM over on BB old bean :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Thanks to all who took a look and commented, I took a look around the site but couldn't find anything like it so decided to give it a shot. With the amount of new members coming to the site at the moment, it seemed like a good idea. The setting isn't quite what I would have liked but it proves that you can try these techniques out at home.

BTW what kind of watch is that your wearing, looks like my Russian Vostok Amphibian in profile.

Andy

Some sort of Vostok, not sure which.

I am hoping this is a prelude to the sharps use chat at Middlewood you are giving? ;)

Clean forgot about that, I'll cuff it, it'll be OK! :D I'll continue over in the Middlewood thread.

Nice one Spam, should be a sticky! BTW, is it me, or does your Mora look HUGE in the feather stick pic's!:)

That is a Mora C223, and it is massive. Look on Ragweed Forge for them, they are about $15.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The setting isn't quite what I would have liked but it proves that you can try these techniques out at home.

Was going to mention that, doesn`t SWMBO mind you chopping up timber on the kitchen floor. I`ve been banished to the cellar for my whittling shenanigans.

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Hey lads, get your ladies into carving too, then you can whittle together in your front room - we do. Last night it was Robin who was complaining because I was still whittling whilst he was trying to hoover around!!

Good to see the pictures of the knife cuts by the way. The first one was named "chicken wings" by a learner on one of our early courses and the name stuck with us.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hey lads, get your ladies into carving too, then you can whittle together in your front room - we do. Last night it was Robin who was complaining because I was still whittling whilst he was trying to hoover around!!

Good to see the pictures of the knife cuts by the way. The first one was named "chicken wings" by a learner on one of our early courses and the name stuck with us.

I have more chance of sprouting chicken wings :lmao: than getting SWMBO into carving or letting me carve in the living room I'll stick with garage.

Spamel great thread.

Alf

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Nice thread Spamel. :cool:

One thing I need to query with you is this:

Now you hit the spine of the blade just as it protrudes from the wood. I have been told it is best if you can keep the point of the knife higher than the handle; it supposedly stops a lot of stress on the blade and stops the fixing into the handle from failing at a critical moment. Dunno how true that is though, just pretend it is your bank manager and wallop it!

My understanding is that what you've described there is the opposite of what we should be doing.

I base this on discussion on Knifeforums and rather than repeating it all, I'll post a link to that thread:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/568643/

I remember it being quite an interesting discussion but it's scary when I look at how long ago the thread started!!
Let me know what you think. :)

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice thread Spamel. :cool:

One thing I need to query with you is this:

I have been told it is best if you can keep the point of the knife higher than the handle; it supposedly stops a lot of stress on the blade and stops the fixing into the handle from failing at a critical moment. Dunno how true that is though, just pretend it is your bank manager and wallop it!

My understanding is that what you've described there is the opposite of what we should be doing.

I base this on discussion on Knifeforums and rather than repeating it all, I'll post a link to that thread:

http://www.knifeforums.com/forums/showtopic.php?tid/568643/

I remember it being quite an interesting discussion but it's scary when I look at how long ago the thread started!!
Let me know what you think. :)

Only just seen this. As I said, I was told that once and it appears I've either understood it incorrectly or the person telling me was confused! So, I need to ammend that at some point as it seems that I have been doing it incorrectly for a few years now! :rolleyes:

Cheers for bringing that to my attention.

:D

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Just bumping this up for anyone who may have missed it. I saw some scary knife usage at the Moot, and as you can see I had something wrong in this thread so we all learn a thing or two now and then. Just as long as you can minimise the damage, then you can't do much more. Can I draw your attention to this bit:

Before trying any of these methods, make sure you have a number of things:

1. A sharp, strong capable knife.
2. A First Aid Kit and the knowledge of how to use it in an emergency.
3. A clear area without distractions. Always ensure your follow through is safe and not moving towards yourself or others. Keep well away from the inside of the groin, apart from us guys having what we think is pretty important there, everybody has a very important main artery there that if cut will bleed out and you’ll die in no time. Be careful.

That’ll do for now. If you want to know more about knife safety, check out this thread:

General Outdoor Cutting Tool Safety

Just remember that at the Moot, you would have had all manner of people available to help you if you did injure yourself badly, but now you may be venturing out by yourself. Ensure you have that FAK, the presence of mind to think before you cut and be careful out there.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE