Method of Carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I'm fond of the Scandinavian deep scabbards with the leather loop on a swivel. I wear this crossdraw on my belt. It naturally twists out of the way if I sit. This also makes for a good draw. I grip the scabbard with my left hand and pull it sideways as I grab the hilt with my right. I also have a small knife on a neck carry. On horseback I look rather dangerous with a blade stuck in my boot top. The last thing anyone wants in case of a fall or sudden manuever is a belt and anything hanging on it. I saw a western barrel rider with one of those rediculous hubcap sized trophy buckles lacerate her liver on one. Another falling rider who bruised a kidney landing on a huge bowie convinced me to find another carry.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
:eek:): at my age falling off a horse hurts regardless! But I'd never considered those injuries.Those huge buckles are very uncomfortable when you sit down so why they're belt of choice for cowboys is beyond me. Damned fashion victims :rolmao:

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
allenko said:
Really may I ask where you get that from? I've just picked up The Leather Working Handbook by Valerie Michael and need some veg tat to get started with.

Cheers

Paul
Paul, got mine from the identity store

http://www.pearcetandy.com/store/index.htm

can also get from

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/

there's also a leatherwork section on british blades with tons of info ... that book looks good .. I've got it on my Amazon wish list .. you've missed my birthday though ;)

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I would like to see a belt sheath, but with the loop halfway down the back of the sheath. And mounted at a 45 degree angle. This would keep the knife out the way when sitting and allow for an easy cross draw.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
ANDYLASER said:
I would like to see a belt sheath, but with the loop halfway down the back of the sheath. And mounted at a 45 degree angle. This would keep the knife out the way when sitting and allow for an easy cross draw.

I've seen one of those somewhere.
I'll have to go have a search for it now....
:roll:

M

Mike Stewart

The Method of carry for me varies with the knife and the activity.

When Hunting Deer or Bear My knife( usually a small knife) is in it's sheath and the whole thing is in my hunting Jacket pocket. I like to still hunt. That is a combination of stalking into the wind while following track and waiting along known runs for your quarry. I don't like anything on my belt because I sometimes have to move through very heavy cover and don't want to catch anything on all the Secondary growth.

While Camping and Hiking I like my knife( again usually a 4 inch blade) on my belt behind my hip on the right side. I like a high riding sheath that won't interfere with sitting. When worn behing the hip, the knife while be less likely to snag when off trail.

For a larger knife, I like to have it on my pack frame. If I do have it on my belt It would be Crossdraw and If I chose to use a very large knife( Golok, Machete .etc) I would support it Baldric style. I don't like heavy items attached to my belt. When I used to hunt with a handgun I had it either on a seperate waist belt or in a shoulder rig, if it was a large , heavy pistol.

I have never tried to use a neck sheath ,but I will once we have the New North Star Sheaths.

It's very interesting how our combined experiances have influenced our preferences.

Mike........

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
andylaser said:

I knew I had seen one (or 3)!

dannyboy_Gene%5C%27s%20Cross-Draw.jpg

They're by dannyboy over at outdoors-magazine.

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
Stew said:
I knew I had seen one (or 3)!

dannyboy_Gene%5C%27s%20Cross-Draw.jpg

They're by dannyboy over at outdoors-magazine.
that set up is cooler than Roald Amundsen's S :censored: T!!!!!!! .. shame i've already put my belt loops on my sheath or i might have gone for that :biggthump

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
For those who are interested in carrying your knife horizontal (or any other weird way), you might want to check out Tek-Lok. I know Fällkniven has these for some of their knives. The bad thing is that you will have to have a kydex sheath that is comatible.

teclock.jpg

Oct 16, 2003
Surrey
I wear my Woodlore Baldrick style, but I have attached a short piece of paracord through the hole in the bottom of the sheath, to which I've attached a mini karabiner. The karabiner is then clipped to my trouser belt loop behind my back. This stops the knife smacking my in the face when I bend down!

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
What about pocket sheaths for little knives? I carry my little DB three-finger knife in a cargo pocket - unobtrusive, and there when I want it.

My flecktarn trousers have a little knife pocket inside the cargo pocket on the right-hand side, into which the knife and sheath fit perfectly :wink:

jakunen

Native
I carry my Puuku on the belt via the loop and swivel and place the sheath in my pocket. Nice and secure, easy to get to.

Just wish I could come up with a way of carrying my Opinel. Currently it's carried in a pocket, so I just have to hope like mad the flap doesn't come open.:-(

Anyone got a better way? Or seen a sheath for Opinels?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE