Method of Carry

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I have tried a bit diffrent way to carry my knife, a bit of paracord tied to the sheath and then have the sheat in my leg pocket ( not the whole knife) and let the knife and tie the other end to my belt. This way it is always easy to reach but not in the way when carrying a backpack.

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
jakunen said:
How would you make that? I'm not familiar with the stuff, and as the blade is held within the handle when closed, would you just make a tubular pouch and close with a snap or something?

Heat it, wrap it round & whack it in a press. With the Opinels, I'd probably use thin Kydex & wrap around the butt end of the knife, so you get good retention. It would just snap in & stay put, then haul on it & the natural spring of the stuff will allow the knife to be drawn.

BAHDog

Jan 7, 2004
Tucson, Arizona
jakunen said:
Just wish I could come up with a way of carrying my Opinel. Currently it's carried in a pocket, so I just have to hope like mad the flap doesn't come open.:-(

Anyone got a better way? Or seen a sheath for Opinels?

This is a great thread. I like all the different ways that everyone carries and at times use some of them as well. I do carry a Mora on my ruck. It is easy to reach with the pack on and I don't take the ruck off and walk away. I also back it up with some sort of pocket knife. As for the Opie carry. This is my solution.

Clipped.jpg

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
For small stuff like that, a standard plumbers torch will work. If you've got a soldering mat as well, that will help it get to temperature. Not sure that a pencil torch would have the oomph without some vermiculite bricks or something, but it could be worth a try. Heck, if you can melt silver, you are at around the right temperature... ;)

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
For use around camp, I like the idea of a sheath designed to ride high behind the right hip with a good forward cant.
High ride will keep it clear of the ground etc when I sit and the cant should makes it more accessible and less restrictive when you bend.

The main issue I see is keeping the sheath at the proper angle to the belt.
In my practical pistol competition days I had a hellweg holster that could carry a full size .45 in just that position but it had spring steel and bolts inside leather to keep it fixed. I reckon that a sheath could usefully adopt the design of the belt tabs from this classic Galco all leather holster.

CONHOL.jpg

Have to try it one day.

Cheers

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
ESpy said:
I've seen one like that somewhere, although the belt went around the front of the sheath to keep it tucked in. Wish I could remember where...
you mean a high ride knife sheath with a similar tab method? ..... perhaps in Kydex? :wink:

Simon

Nomad
Jul 22, 2004
Addington, Surrey
jakunen said:
Pete,

That's fine so long as you have a forge Or a brother who has a forge...:wink:

How would those of us not addicted to beating the **** out of red hot metal do this? Could you use a pencil torch?
puuuuuuurty sure Joe sells pocket clips for knives in his knife making section ..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE