Metal coffee filter?

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
I've seen a few piccy's of camping style coffee filters on here, but wondered if anyone could point me in the way of a good quality filter that can be used to make real coffee with a small cookset :)

Something permanent that can live with my brew kit!

Cheers, al.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a GSi Dukjug and H2JO filter Al, the Dukjug is a 1L stainless bottle and the filter screws into the top.

You can either chuck your coffee in with your water in the bottle, screw the filter on and then leave standing for five minutes, then just pour through the filter.

Or put your water in the bottle, screw on the filter and add your coffee, screw the filter lid on and then stand upside down for five minutes, unscrew the cap and filter and pour.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Nothing but Tea sell a great tea filter that works brilliantly for coffee .....HWMBLT nicked mine to make his coffee, that's how I know :rolleyes:
I bought another one, trust me on this, once used for coffee it's totally stuffed for tea unless you carry major scrubbing equipment.

It is the handiest filter I know of, even comes a good bushcrafty green colour :approve:

http://www.nbtea.co.uk/shop/product.php?xProd=897&jssCart=00a53022153cb717d705f726f1acd3f9

http://www.nbtea.co.uk/shop/shopimages/products/normal/AC01.jpg

cheers,
Toddy

resnikov

I use a very simliar one to that Toddy to make my coffee at home. Have yet to try it camping but expect it would work just as well out as at home.

Open question: what do you do with the coffee grounds after you have used them? On the fire? Take them home?

resnikov

Oh yeah the Pac-Flat Reflector for the UCO candle lantern is meant to be useable as a coffee filter. Have yet to try mine as I dont have filter paper at home.
reflector-pacflat.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I use a plastic filter holder, sits on top of your cup or bowl, place paper filter, bung in the ground coffee & slowly pour on your hot water........cheap & cheerful, light & bomb proof.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
All of those press things though, they use disposable filters. Just an other thing to carry or forget.
The gold mesh strainer is just itself and it fits neatly into mug or pot for carrying.

I dispose of the tea leaves or coffee grounds just as I do with any of the veg trimmings when out. Depends on the site and situation tbh. They burn off in amongst the ashes though and break down well.

cheers,
Toddy

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Wow! I guess we have a few real coffee fans here :)

I'll have a look at all the suggestions now, but thanks very much for a speedy response!

Cheers, al.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Nothing but Tea sell a great tea filter that works brilliantly for coffee .....HWMBLT nicked mine to make his coffee, that's how I know :rolleyes:
I bought another one, trust me on this, once used for coffee it's totally stuffed for tea unless you carry major scrubbing equipment.

It is the handiest filter I know of, even comes a good bushcrafty green colour :approve:

http://www.nbtea.co.uk/shop/product.php?xProd=897&jssCart=00a53022153cb717d705f726f1acd3f9

http://www.nbtea.co.uk/shop/shopimages/products/normal/AC01.jpg

cheers,
Toddy

Just ordered myself one. like the fact you dont have to carry filters etc

Bushwhacker

Banned
Jun 26, 2008
Dorset
My mate has this little metal pot/jug with two chambers and a tube connecting it.
Coffee beans and water go in the bottom and when heated the liquid expands and fills the top chamber with your coffee. It's good for a cupful.
He got it in an antique shop and I can't find anything like it anywhere.
I've tried searching for capillary(?) action pots and can't find the right type of thing.

Obviously not what you askd for but interesting all the same.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Just ordered one too Tody, thanks! :)

The GSi Dukjug and H2JO filter looks an excellent combo, so I might invest in the future but I'll give the gold filter a bash first :)

I did consider an areopress after trying one, but didn't fancy the looks of peoples faces when I started assembling it by the fire.... :rolleyes:

Cheers, al.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
My mate has this little metal pot/jug with two chambers and a tube connecting it.
Coffee beans and water go in the bottom and when heated the liquid expands and fills the top chamber with your coffee. It's good for a cupful.
He got it in an antique shop and I can't find anything like it anywhere.
I've tried searching for capillary(?) action pots and can't find the right type of thing.

Obviously not what you askd for but interesting all the same.

Yeah, I've seen these before buddy... Its like a traditional espresso machine. They do make a mean coffee!

Cheers, al.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just ordered one too Tody, thanks! :)

The GSi Dukjug and H2JO filter looks an excellent combo, so I might invest in the future but I'll give the gold filter a bash first :)

I did consider an areopress after trying one, but didn't fancy the looks of peoples faces when I started assembling it by the fire.... :rolleyes:

Cheers, al.

The Aeropress makes good coffee, no doubt about it, but the little green tea filter is excellently easy to use and carry and mine's now over four years old and has seen a lot of use :approve:
The one I keep for tea is brilliant for herb teas and the like when out and you don't want to be sipping herbage with your cuppa :)

cheers,
M

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I got this from a whittards tea shop ages ago, but seeing as they have gone bust, I'm not to sure as to where you could get them now? but it works a treat, seals well, and clean easy.
254265_10150283638289073_539479072_9103928_7399334_n.jpg

it opens up buy way of a small clasp at the top and a sturdy hinge at the base., you can see it is a decent size.

249788_10150283638609073_539479072_9103930_4479494_n.jpg

Shall have a look and see if I can find them on-line.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
just dump the coffee grounds in a pot...brew..and then use a tea strainer or mini sieve.

been using a tea strainer for camping coffee since my parents first took us camping as kids. You still get a bit of sludge in the bottom, but hey..don't drink the last mouthful :)

Sack

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE