Metal coffee filter?

Just to add another couple of possibilities:

Here in the desert where water is precious, I found the need to rinse out the permanent metal filters outweighed the freedom from paper filters. Also, I didn't like the coffee silt that gets through even the best ones. The nice thing about a paper filter is that it will burn - can even be used as tinder - once the grounds are dumped and it's dry.

Snow Peak makes a very stout stainless paper filter holder that folds flat:

Snow Peak filter holder

And Ortlieb has a filter holder that also folds flat, into which you insert two sticks or utensils to brace it across your cup. With mine I found it worked much better after I snipped a second drip hole in the opposite corner. These weigh almost nothing:

Ortlieb filter holder

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
They are called moka's or stovetop espresso makers. Can find them pretty much anywhere. Usually in aluminium but bialetti now do a range in stainless steel.
41PGv0FKKPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

My mate has this little metal pot/jug with two chambers and a tube connecting it.
Coffee beans and water go in the bottom and when heated the liquid expands and fills the top chamber with your coffee. It's good for a cupful.
He got it in an antique shop and I can't find anything like it anywhere.
I've tried searching for capillary(?) action pots and can't find the right type of thing.

Obviously not what you askd for but interesting all the same.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you tried proper cowboy coffee Al ? Add coffee to billycan of cold water, over the fire until a rolling boil and then remove. Try not to agitate it too much once you pick it up and pour, that way the coffee stays at the bottom of the pan instead of getting in your mug.

Some folk say to drop a pinch of salt in once it's boiled, others say adding a drop of cold water, apparently it helps to sink the granules but to be honest I don't usually bother. Just leave the pot to stand for a minute or two and then pour.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Just to add another couple of possibilities:

Here in the desert where water is precious, I found the need to rinse out the permanent metal filters outweighed the freedom from paper filters. Also, I didn't like the coffee silt that gets through even the best ones. The nice thing about a paper filter is that it will burn - can even be used as tinder - once the grounds are dumped and it's dry.

Mine just gets put to the side until I've finished my cuppa and then chapped out. No washing at all.
It also comes with a wee lid or saucer. The lid keeps my tea hot while it masks and acts as a drip catcher when I lift it out of my mug at home.
Simplicity itself.

cheers,
M

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bloody hell some of you lot make life hard. A 20p tea strainer works just fine. Bring coffee to the boil, let it stand a minute and pour through the tea strainer. I've got 9 and 36 cup percs, small and large expresso pots, filter paper holders bla bla bla then only last year I tried the tea strainer and have not taken a pot camping since, they are redundant. 20 pence in Wilkinsons or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TEA-STRAINER-...pt=UK_Home_Garden_Food_SM&hash=item3f07b59a19

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Not tried the cowbow coffee road as yet rich... Been using nescafe all in one's, but I really, really fancy the prospect of a good strong brew to get me going!

I'll give the cowboy method a bash over the weekend, should the filter not turn up! That set-up looks rather nice sapper.

atb, al.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Hmmm... I went with Mary's suggestion as it looks ideal for the job, but I may very well make a future purchase, so thanks for that!

al.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE