Merino Wool vs. Regular Wool for Mid or Outer layer

Sep 28, 2008
Romania
I was wondering if for mid or outer layer merino wool is having some advantages over usual wool?
Has merino wool better insulating properties then usual wool? Is it worth the extra cost for merino middle (outer layer) layer?

Thx

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
I've been wondering the same just recently.

What I do no about merino wool tips though is that they feel far nicer next to or close to the skin than normal wool.

I can't make up my mind whether to go for a fleece or a thick woollen jumper.
Cheers
Steve

Leave only footprints take only memories

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
IMO it's worth spending the cash on inner merino layers but certainly not mid or outer. To compare I have a Woolpower 400 top and a surplus British Army wool jumper having worn both extensively I would say they have equiverlent warmth. The Woolpower is better designed with the high collar etc but if you compare the price difference im not sure it justify's the expensive if your on a tight budget. Most midweight merino tops for use as a midlayer cost more than £100 where as my issue wooly pulley cost £1 from a car boot sale.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I made this table up for myself when I became a wool-freak :), it may help to give an idea of wools and their qualities. I think Merino is often used because it is very fine and so good for underwear; it's probably cheap as I think (could be wrong) they have enormous flocks in South Africa where much of the Merino used grown; and good for machine knitting which is how commercial garments are made. Machine knitting is tighter than hand knitting and will have less "loft"; it's also much faster and more profitable than hand knitting - which is a money loss to us all who do it! There is (at present) far less of the other wools in the table than there is Merino which will be another reason for its use.

Manufacturers will hype the good qualities of Merino (which are good) in a manner that suggests it is the king of wools, this isn't necessarily so, it depends what you want to use it for.

Wool types

Merino 18.5-25.5 microns so it is the finest wool in terms of strand thickness, 75-80mm length of staple (i.e. each strand length). Good for thin garments like underwear, delicate jumpers and machine knitting. Often from South Africa

Blue Faced Leicester 26 Micron so very fine, 85-90mm and medium long. Good lustre with good resilience and highly prized for its likeness to mohair.

Shetland 29-31mic thickness so thicker than Merino, 90mm staple so longer than merino: fine, soft and silky to the touch with a good, bulky down characteristic, has good lustre. Good for anything, jumpers, vests, socks, gloves, can be knitted very fine or thicker for gloves and socks, outer garments.

Welsh 31-35 microns so thicker than both Merino & Shetland, 80-100mm so longer than both Shetland and Merino. The only pure black sheep in the UK. I find it works best for socks and jumpers.

Jacob 33-35 Micron so fairly thick, 85-95mm so short. Rough, tough stuff, maybe welly-socks. It’s not as “carpet” as Herdwick!

Icelandic 34-36 Micron so thicker than all the above, 90-100mm so similar to welsh in length. Good lustre, one of the best felting wools in the world; lightweight, water repellent and breathable. Good for outer garments.

Herdwick 40 microns so thick, 85-90mm so short. A coarse quality hard wearing wool commonly known as “carpet sheep”.

Teeswater 40-60microns so very thick, 150-300mm staple so very long, it’s also curly and lustrous. It’s long length makes it much nicer to the touch than Herdwick although it’s thicker. Makes good thick wool for tough outer garments.

Cheviot 30-35microns so about as thick as Welsh and similar in length, 80-100mm. The fleece varies in quality from fine to coarse, not too crimpy and quite resilient, so good for filling purposes, like cushions.

Devon 40-60microns so quite thick but very long at 200-250mm. It’s very heavy wool, good for felting and excellent for woven fabrics.

Swaledale 35-45microns and length, 100-200mm. Predominantly used in carpet yarns and rug yarns due to its excellent resilience and hardwearing properties.

Wensleydale 40-50microns and 200-300mm long. It’s a lustrous long-wool, often blended with finer but shorter stapled wools, where a strong yarn is required.

I also use Ryland (native to Hereford, where I live) and North Ronaldsay, the Orkney sheep that feeds on seaweed. Ryland is supposed to make wool good for fine stockings, the first Queen Elizabeth refused to have her stockings made from anything else. I find North Ronaldsay wool superb for boot socks.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
That's brilliant info Elen thanks!!

Where does cashmere fit in with that table please?
From what iv red and also been told that has a very good warmth to weight ratio.

Also if you were going to buy a woollen jumper for very cold weather use what would you buy?

I have been looking at army surplus wool jumpers but I have no idea what wool that is.
Cheers
Steve

Elen Sentier

That's brilliant info Elen thanks!!

Where does cashmere fit in with that table please?
From what iv red and also been told that has a very good warmth to weight ratio.

Also if you were going to buy a woollen jumper for very cold weather use what would you buy?

I have been looking at army surplus wool jumpers but I have no idea what wool that is.
Cheers
Steve

Cashmere is fantastic, I never go out (even in summer LOL) without my cashmere sweater(s). But cashmere is goat hair, it's not wool but hair, like our own hair, so it's not as fire-proof as wool - try seting fire to a bit of wool! It's very fine, soft and silky, great next to the skin. Mohair is excellent too but an be less silky; it too is goat hair. They are really cute and look like they have ringlets :). I often take a mohair jumper with me too.

I use my own knits most of the time, often Shetland, or Shetland/Mohair mix for jumpers; Ryland socks; cashmere for bedtime; silk longjohns (they are superb, if a bi expensive, but they last for years). Now I've got the Ryland I'll see if Queen Lizzie was right about the stockings :) .

Army surplus will be cheap and cheerful! Hubby had some for gardening in for a while, they didn't last as well as the handknits, some of his are 20 yrs old and still going strong.

Attachments

• mohiar goat.jpg
    mohiar goat.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 16
Sep 28, 2008
Romania
IMO it's worth spending the cash on inner merino layers but certainly not mid or outer.

Agree with you, but aside from money invested would finer merino with thiner yarn trap more air than a regular wool with thicker yarn? Maybe the thickness of the yarn is giving more air trapping advantages.

Of course knitting technique is important as terry knit loops (in which lots of merino products comes today) is very good at trapping air but I've yet to see a regular wool midlayer knitted as terry-loops (I'm not saying there's no such product but I've not seen one for myself yet - suggestion are welcome)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The wool power gear is all terry loop. Although in many ways they are all still thermals. I can't answer your first question although it would make sense that way.

para106

Jul 24, 2009
scotland
Trespass have 50% off their Merino baselayers at the moment - about £28 for a top or bottom. Don't know about the quality though. I usually wait for some to come in at TK Maxx.

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
Great info Elen thanks for sharing. I have an old cashmere and silk sweater with a half zip and collar. I got it from a charity shop last year for £3. Cracking for a mid layer.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
Merino for base layer.

I've a heavy-for-merino 260g Icebreaker Coronet 320 which is quite warm for the thickness of it, but it's not as warm as a heavier, chunky regular wool jumper. Obviously, there are advantages to less bulky layers.

I wore a long sleeve base layer, the Merino Coronet and a (Peter Storm) zip neck wool jumper, wool scarf and a beanie hat for a gentle wander with the family today (~3DegC) and was very comfortable.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
why we are on the subject,were has all the wool gone,without mentioning names a well known high street brand used to have some cracking wool jumpers/jerseys/etc not so many years ago now you go in its all synthetic crap your hard pressed to find 100% wool jumpers in high street stores these days,yet i still see sheep kicking about!

Scots_Charles_River

Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Problem with Merino is that it holds water more compared to synthetics. Although I got Karrimor merino wool socks from SportsDirect, 2 pairs for £4.69, which are brill for winter walking/climbing. Very toastie.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I have a couple. One 100% totha is merino and polypropylene....I find the mix one better for high activity.

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE