Best base layers for softshells or Paramo?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
DHB (wiggle) have great marino base layers, they wick pretty well and are graded for warmth, so you have some idea what you are getting. They are a good fit for both of us (although rhey go bigger) and wick pretty well (although obviously i don't sweat so that is wasted on me). Also, if you buy a big warm one, then wash it hot you get a small really tight (areo) super warm one.

Reactions: Billy-o

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Are there any views here on the Paramo Velez smocks?

I know there is a light one and heavier one and a hybrid one, but, in general I mean. How do people rate them as wearable?

I need a smock, and I am getting batted about by the options ... the one I have is too heavy. This one'll need to go in my bag.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got three adventure light. A bit shorter than I wanted but I'm 6'5" tall so that'll explain it!

My advice is find a paramo "shop within a shop " retailer. They'll have more range and can access paramo live stock levels too. A good one knows paramo model fit better than normal outdoor retailers. All velez models fit differently. I mean they really do fit differently.

The adventure light fitted be well but the std velez absolutely didn't. The arms were too short for the same size. It's a difference in shoulder construction apparently.

Nobody will be able to tell you which paramo smock fits you. A good retailer might have a good guess but trying them all on is the only way. Seriously that's my experience. No other way.

In penrith Cumbria is a very very good little paramo shop within a shop. I mean very good. The owner is so helpful and really knows his stuff. If you're up that way please drop in. No association just the service I got was the best I've experienced in an outdoor shop for years and years. Worth giving a good word for that.

adriatikfan

May 23, 2010
North Yorkshire
Buffalo boxers in pertex orRohan silver undies for the nether regions.
Merino or brinje top.
plus a word for Decathlon wicking t shirts, I cannot se any difference between them and Patagonia silk weight Capilene, and I LOVE Patagonia.
still caving in my 30 plus year old Helly !!

Do you mean the very cheapest short and/or long-sleeved ones?

How do you find the fit? The Deacthlon site itself recommends maybe going up a size for a slightly looser fit.

Whilst not being overweight, I am of an age and body-shape that means that figure-hugging clothing is not a good look.

I've had very good experience with other Decathlon clothing I've got, so these might well be worth trying out.

Many thanks!
David

bigbear

May 1, 2008
Yorkshire
Do you mean the very cheapest short and/or long-sleeved ones?

How do you find the fit? The Deacthlon site itself recommends maybe going up a size for a slightly looser fit.

Whilst not being overweight, I am of an age and body-shape that means that figure-hugging clothing is not a good look.

I've had very good experience with other Decathlon clothing I've got, so these might well be worth trying out.

Many thanks!
David
Mine are short sleeved lightweight about 8euro whn I got them fit is fine, I am a big lad myself, if its the same material the long sleeved would be good too I guess.

Reactions: adriatikfan

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I got three adventure light. A bit shorter than I wanted but I'm 6'5" tall so that'll explain it!

My advice is find a paramo "shop within a shop " retailer. They'll have more range and can access paramo live stock levels too. A good one knows paramo model fit better than normal outdoor retailers. All velez models fit differently. I mean they really do fit differently.

The adventure light fitted be well but the std velez absolutely didn't. The arms were too short for the same size. It's a difference in shoulder construction apparently.

Nobody will be able to tell you which paramo smock fits you. A good retailer might have a good guess but trying them all on is the only way. Seriously that's my experience. No other way.

In penrith Cumbria is a very very good little paramo shop within a shop. I mean very good. The owner is so helpful and really knows his stuff. If you're up that way please drop in. No association just the service I got was the best I've experienced in an outdoor shop for years and years. Worth giving a good word for that.
Thanks for this Paul. Maybe I'll just have to get on the phone with them and see if I can figure things out.

But can you let me know which size you went for? My son is close to your dap and he needs some new wet clothing too now.

I noticed that one of the outdoorsy shops that does videos on Paramo kit features one of the presenters who looks pretty tall.

I am guessing that the light smock is made of the same stuff as the lighter portion of the Velez jacket. And it works in the rain just fine too? Not too heavy? Is the pumpliner that honeycomb stuff, or is it that reversed fleece stuff? I do wish they show better pics on their site :)

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Mine is the adventure light Velez in bright orange but dull grey is also available. It's thinner but works well enough. Perhaps in 8 hours of heavy nrain it'll get through but 3 hours it's been ok. The shoulders are different to standard Velez in cut. It makes the size large that I got fit better as the arms were longer. Not when you measure one against the other but in use it was longer n In the arms.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE