Men of Inspiration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Took all the credit for the theory of evolution despite Wallace having pre-presented and included some of Wallace's work in his own publications - Wallace was a commoner, had no 'family' money so couldn't get the backing from high society. Towards the end of his life Darwin helped organise a 'small' pension for him - guilt or what?

Only joking really; there's always a third truth :)

That does seem to suggest Darwin swung in and won the glory somewhat - rightfully or not.

Sounds like an interesting story in itself and something Hollywood ( with the right director ) should highlight?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Both came up with the same idea. The only alleged matter against Darwin was apparently Wallace sent him a letter outlining the basics of his version of the theory for n comment. It was sent from IIRC Bali or other Asian nation where he was carving out a career as a specimen hunter. However I think Darwin never received or read it. However he had discussed his ideas too with another signatory of the scientific community before the letter was even written.

The worst thing you can say is that two people came up with the theory simultaneously but only one got the acclaim. I doubt that's a story worthy of Hollywood treatment. Wallace's life probably would make a good film as would the lives of many other adventurers and specimen hunters of those times. I think Wallace is especially a good candidate judging by how he did his work low scale and worked with locals. It's a measure of his approach that the island he spent a lot of his time still remembers him favourably. He's got more respect there than his home country!

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Both came up with the same idea. The only alleged matter against Darwin was apparently Wallace sent him a letter outlining the basics of his version of the theory for n comment. It was sent from IIRC Bali or other Asian nation where he was carving out a career as a specimen hunter. However I think Darwin never received or read it. However he had discussed his ideas too with another signatory of the scientific community before the letter was even written.

The worst thing you can say is that two people came up with the theory simultaneously but only one got the acclaim. I doubt that's a story worthy of Hollywood treatment. Wallace's life probably would make a good film as would the lives of many other adventurers and specimen hunters of those times. I think Wallace is especially a good candidate judging by how he did his work low scale and worked with locals. It's a measure of his approach that the island he spent a lot of his time still remembers him favourably. He's got more respect there than his home country!

Not quite the whole truth :) - there is fairly conclusive evidence that Darwin received the letters before he published his theories. However, as I said, there's probably a third truth and this isn't the purpose of this thread :)

Reactions: TeeDee

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
But AIUI Darwin had developed the theory decades earlier and over a period had published papers, pamphlets and other writings that showed development of the idea. The only thing that happened after the time that the letter was sent to him was he pushed through with formally publishing it in one collected works.

There was a documentary about him IIRC presented by that HIGNFY editor guy who also presented scouting for boys documentary. He was like you in preferring the idea that Wallace came up with the idea first but had to admit there's no evidence either way. I'm the end IIRC a plaque for Wallace was installed in the British natural history museum alongside Darwin's bust. Sir David Attenborough and another natural world luminary unveiled it I believe.

Whatever the case both guys are being recognised now as the originators albeit with one getting the greater acclaim.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It was an idea that was in the air at the time. Everyone knew of it.

And Darwin is definatley speaking of it in his `Voyage of the Beagle`; Its obvious the idea is fully formed allready and all he sees simply reinforces it.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
With some respect to ALL , Can we please keep the thread on topic.

Please feel free to take it to Private Messaging.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Darwin is inspirational too.

Newton. Newtonian physics wouldn't have been quite the same without him. Actually it would just not named after him.

• Haha
Reactions: santaman2000

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
The one from Taboo was best i think. Will give it somemore thought during the day though.

Sorry to be repetitive.

Lol. No issue with the repetitive bit!!! Honestly. I just wonder what your definition of Masculinity maybe? Is it purely physical appearance?

There is no wrong answers by the way! :)

EDIT ;- This One ?

tom taboo.jpg

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
I like that one. And will go with the Google definition :

masculinity. /ˌmaskjʊˈlɪnɪti/ noun
  1. qualities or attributes regarded as characteristic of men.
    "handsome, muscled, and driven, he's a prime example of masculinity, like Chris Evans"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE