melting resin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Ive been using resin for a while when making various tools but with all the hot weather we have been having recently the resin has started to melt. Is there anything I can add to stop this from happening. I have been using the standard resin, wood ash and wax mixture. Any advice would be very helpful.

Cheers Moko

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
in what proportions of wax ash and resin? By melting do you mean going tackie or running off your joint? do you boil your resin before you make glue ?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Generally the resin will run because, like glass, it's still viscous. If you up the proportion of charcoal to the mix it'll work just as well but it keeps it's shape (and it doesn't shatter with use) a bit better. The high temperatures we've had recently have left all sorts of things feeling tacky, even beeswax and carnuba polish went a bit odd. Settled down again now it's cooler, thankfully.

Cheers,
Toddy

moko

Forager
Apr 28, 2005
out there
Thanks guys,
The resin has not been boiled although it has been heated enough to sive out all the muck. I have tried a couple of experiments with different mixtures since my original post including adding more ash but (for example) binding a small flint axe within a wood handle but it proved to be to brittle. I may have over done it abit but with that said, a heavier ash content would work with a different, less high impact applications. Its been a real learning curve and I now realise that differnt mixtures apply to different aplications. Also, resin has its limits and alternatives have to be researched.

Moko

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE