May 7th-8th-9th Somerset Bushcraft Meet/Gathering

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Riding on the crest of success of the last gathering we had, hear we go again....

May Friday 7th eve Saturday 8th and Sunday 9th​
27032010380-1.jpg
FYI
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53222
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51384

You will need to bring your own water / water containers!
There is a river about 1/4 of a mile away through a field but 1) i can't be bothered to walk 2) I don't want to have to worry about making it ok to drink and 3) there is no lifeguard if someone falls in!!!

Due to the size of the wood and the fact we can't chop the wood down I would also appreciate it if everyone bought enough wood for them to use for the wknd.
I.E. enough to cook with for how ever many meals you plan on having and also enough to add to the communal fire for the evenings celebrations.

The woods are not massive but there is probably enough room for 20 of us.

The location will be pretty much next to the A303 - there is limited parking so i am going to ask for the few parking spaces at the wood to be used for unloading/loading.
Cars will then need to be parked down at a car park less than a mile away and just walk through two fields and your back at the woods.

this is by no means a party but a meeting of like minded people for a weekend get together of good conversation (maybe some song) and leisure time around a camp fire...

I'd suggest an over 18's policy for this one... if you do want to bring someone under 18 then let me know.

So sign up below.........

Last edited:

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
FreddyFish
SiberianFury (josh)- possibly bringing a mate
Salad
Jay (Guess i better come considering its my woods!)

Ok the plan is....
It will probably be a working weekend. I'm waiting to discuss it with the trust but in exchange for us staying there FOC, having the right to do whatever we want (within reason) I am going to propose that we have a clearing weekend of fallen trees and a rubbish clear up.

Most of the wood we will try and burn i expect so may not need to bring our own (lthough last time we went through a trailer load! plus more!)

I am going to try and organise marking the trees they want cleared with spray paint before the weekend.
Anyone who comes will be expected to join in (hope thats ok?) It should be fun, getting to clear woodland.

I was also thinking of having an archery competition.... this is something i am going to investigate further!

As we all know mass cooking is available and the farmer of the land next door even mentioned about giving us some lamb! So maybe me and Mayo can go and pay him a visit...

Any questions let me know

J

mayobushcraft

Mar 22, 2007
Yeovil somerset
Will be there. I will try to get a trailer load of wood again. Maybe we can work out a cooking schedule that way we dont overload on food (waste). Will be happy to help clear. Jay see if its ok for me to drive the Jeep in that way we can use the winch and trailer to do the heavy work. Looking forward to it again.

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Will be there. I will try to get a trailer load of wood again. Maybe we can work out a cooking schedule that way we dont overload on food (waste). Will be happy to help clear. Jay see if its ok for me to drive the Jeep in that way we can use the winch and trailer to do the heavy work. Looking forward to it again.

You just want to use your new toy.... come on admit it...

FreddyFish

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Frome, Somerset, UK
Ok the plan is....
It will probably be a working weekend. I'm waiting to discuss it with the trust but in exchange for us staying there FOC, having the right to do whatever we want (within reason) I am going to propose that we have a clearing weekend of fallen trees and a rubbish clear up.

Most of the wood we will try and burn i expect so may not need to bring our own (lthough last time we went through a trailer load! plus more!)

I am going to try and organise marking the trees they want cleared with spray paint before the weekend.
Anyone who comes will be expected to join in (hope thats ok?) It should be fun, getting to clear woodland.

I was also thinking of having an archery competition.... this is something i am going to investigate further!

As we all know mass cooking is available and the farmer of the land next door even mentioned about giving us some lamb! So maybe me and Mayo can go and pay him a visit...

Any questions let me know

J

I think working (not too hard) would be cool and help the woodland and our position in using it. Also if the trust are happy with us, maybe they might give us a letter of reference to help getting other locations for mooting.

This might motivate me to finish my folding buck saw and give it a work out.

The mass cook was really nice but maybe just a bit more planning, as in who is cooking when and who is bringing what. As for numbers and not having enough. If more show up, there is always bread. I think better to under cater than have waste. If people are still hungry everyone will have there own supplies to dig in to.

I quite fancy doing a pit roast with hot rocks, but I didn't see any around. Maybe we will have to save that for a different venue.

Also Jay pm me your paypal details so I can send you some money for last time. How much did you want?

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
I was originally intending on doing a pit roast....

Lack of time to organise was the main enemy!
As the woods are based on a old quarry we should be able to use the stones there (just need to dig them up)....
The only issue is that there is not a lot of ground soil over the rocks, which makes digging a pit an issue!

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
sounds good (again! :) )

the clear up is a great idea. glad to hear of the pre clearup marking, important to leave some fallen wood for the birds and bees.

will work on permissions to come, not this week though as this is a week for swmbo as its her birthday week. the weekend spent in london/paris, she be at work today! eeek but the rest of the week is for her, bbq to cap it on her actual birthday on saturday, then i can pop the question so to speak :p

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
I'll do my best to make it, I like the idea of a working weekend. If I'm unable to attend I'll drop Fredds chute up to Jay or something when I'm passing.

Ok the plan is....

Be carefull of HSE an Insurance etc if your going to be Felling trees etc The Trust will be liable for any accidents and cock ups on activities done on their land with their permission
(just to be safe keep Josh away from anything Sharp :lmao:)

maybe dont burn all the wood in one go if you can stack it for later use or to season if its Green

ATB

Duncan

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
think i might print a disclaimer... lol

At the end of the day i don't want to take the **** with a once a month meet and not give anything back.
Plus it makes more sense for people who enjoy being in the woods to do stuff like chop up fallen trees. We will not be taking down any standing trees, it will just be a clear up of rubbish and fallen trees.

And yes i completely agree Josh should be kept away from sharp things lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE