Materials for knife making

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I am going to make some knives and would like some advice on sourcing materials, i would prefer to recycle material rather than buying in, any ideas would be greatfully received, i am a mechanical and machine engineer and have also done property maintenance for quite a few years so i am used to working with tools and different materials so hopefully wont be too hard to do (famous last words), although i will need to practice my sharpening techniques:)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you want to make knives from recycled materials then have a look at doing them from old files.

I've seen some really nice examples made from them :)

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
There used to be a range of knives that were made out of old files by a company called Ithica knives and they looked beautiful.

Files
Saw blades

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Aye - old files are worth looking at.

Also try old circular saw blades, hacksaw blades (High speed steel - wicked edge) and spring steel.

All the best
Andy

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Thanks mac, got some circular saw blades as well, looks like i'll be in my workshop at the weekend having a play, will i have to anneal or harden them once shaped and sharpened?

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as Mac said, they may not need heat treating if you are carefull when cutting out and shaping, but probably best to anneal as it will save your tools and make the job much easyer...

a blow torch should do the job though, heat it up till its bright red / dark orange and cool as slow as possible, then your good to go, file sand shape etc as desired then Heat Treat and temper....

hope this helps.

chris.

Harb505

Forager
Nov 22, 2011
Lincolnshire
I used 1/8 01-Tool/gauge plate for my pervious 4 knives but for my last one a used an old file and it turned out pretty good but the heat treat can be a bit hit and miss. Pardon me if I get the name wrong but I believe 'leaf springs' off old car/trailers also make good knives but they will need flattening first (hot worked). If you want a go at forging, old railway spikes are apparently quite good to start with.
I would take a look at http://www.britishblades.com there's loads of usefull information there.
As far as handle making goes I used an angle grinder with a P40 flappy sanding disk on it to start with then work to about P640/P800 with sheets and finish with danish wood oil and canabu wax. As for handle materials if you havn't already got some take a look at youre local timber yard before buying online, I got a massive 4ft x 1 1/2ft x 1 1/2" piece of burr Elm for £20 rather that paying £15 for a tiny piece about 6" long online.

As for High Speed steel I wouldn't recommend annealing it as re-heat treating it would be very difficult. I would try grinding it as it is (cut it to rough shape with a thin disc on a 4" angle grinder or pencil grinder) but don't let it get hot (keep dipping it in water and don't let the surface blue/ discolour) and be careful as it is brittle.

Last edited:

Biker

I think the steel part of the knife is pretty well covered now from the advice given above, as for the handles though you may find recycled stuff a bit crappy to put too fine a point on it. However down near Dover is a shop called Stiles & Bates. My mate Paul in Clifftonville uses them for making his jewellery boxes and such. They sell all sorts of exotic woods and at reasonable prices too, even burls. So drop by them, I've been there a few times and the place is a gold mine of crafty type stuff.

Here's the link to their website http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/

Good luck!

Last edited:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
About the only thing I've not see recommended so far is old pairs of hedge clippers - good steel in them and you can make a pair of knives from the same tool....

Sometimes I make a pair and give them to "pairs" of friends saying that when they cut, they perform better if they are together - bonding the friendship and such!

I also use old tool handles to make the scales, again hedge clippers can work but axe and hammer handles are great as well.

Large brass wood-screws make reasonable rivets too.

ATB

Ogri the trog

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Excellent, thanks Lannyman:)

as Mac said, they may not need heat treating if you are carefull when cutting out and shaping, but probably best to anneal as it will save your tools and make the job much easyer...

a blow torch should do the job though, heat it up till its bright red / dark orange and cool as slow as possible, then your good to go, file sand shape etc as desired then Heat Treat and temper....

hope this helps.

chris.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If you get stuck for wood gimme a shout, always have loads of offcuts from bows. Yours for the postage.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Thanks for the info Harb, will take a look at british blades, i have a timber yard just up the road from me with a mate who works there, dont know why i didnt think of it.

I used 1/8 01-Tool/gauge plate for my pervious 4 knives but for my last one a used an old file and it turned out pretty good but the heat treat can be a bit hit and miss. Pardon me if I get the name wrong but I believe 'leaf springs' off old car/trailers also make good knives but they will need flattening first (hot worked). If you want a go at forging, old railway spikes are apparently quite good to start with.
I would take a look at http://www.britishblades.com there's loads of usefull information there.
As far as handle making goes I used an angle grinder with a P40 flappy sanding disk on it to start with then work to about P640/P800 with sheets and finish with danish wood oil and canabu wax. As for handle materials if you havn't already got some take a look at youre local timber yard before buying online, I got a massive 4ft x 1 1/2ft x 1 1/2" piece of burr Elm for £20 rather that paying £15 for a tiny piece about 6" long online.

As for High Speed steel I wouldn't recommend annealing it as re-heat treating it would be very difficult. I would try grinding it as it is (cut it to rough shape with a thin disc on a 4" angle grinder or pencil grinder) but don't let it get hot (keep dipping it in water and don't let the surface blue/ discolour) and be careful as it is brittle.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Biker your a star, i'll nip over there on saturday and have a look, cheers mate.

I think the steel part of the knife is pretty well covered now from the advice given above, as for the handles though you may find recycled stuff a bit crappy to put too fine a point on it. However down near Dover is a shop called Stiles & Bates. My mate Paul in Clifftonville uses them for making his jewellery boxes and such. They sell all sorts of exotic woods and at reasonable prices too, even burls. So drop by them, I've been there a few times and the place is a gold mine of crafty type stuff.

Here's the link to their website http://www.stilesandbates.co.uk/

Good luck!

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Thanks ogri, i have a pair in the shed, best ask the missus first i think as they are hers really, she dont use them, i do the hedges with the lecky ones, may nick them and see if she notices.

I like the sentiment with the pair thing, may make the missus a small pruning knife for the garden, many thanks for the help mate.
About the only thing I've not see recommended so far is old pairs of hedge clippers - good steel in them and you can make a pair of knives from the same tool....

Sometimes I make a pair and give them to "pairs" of friends saying that when they cut, they perform better if they are together - bonding the friendship and such!

I also use old tool handles to make the scales, again hedge clippers can work but axe and hammer handles are great as well.

Large brass wood-screws make reasonable rivets too.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE