Massage Guns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Does anyone own & Use one of those hand held Reciprocating massage guns?

I'm looking for recommendations.

Mar 6, 2020
Hemel Hempstead
Not really, if you hold it just right, it can be fun at the time (quite good fun if there are 2 of you), but doesn't appear to heal my aching muscles. Certainly no good on a tight calf or ham. Or for tired running or cycling legs. A bath works better for me.

Reactions: Nice65 and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Have you considered a foam roller? Works for me.

I Do have a foam roller , a 'peanut' and a normal rubber ball which all can work.

Some spots ( top of traps for example , front of shins - anterior Tibialis ) are pretty difficult to reach and work with enough intensity.

Where or what muscle groups do you regularly Roll Stew? Is it a reoccurring issue ? or just post exercise?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Let us know if you find something and how you get on. I need something to get inside my shoulders which is hard to do with a roller and awkward to do my self. No chance of a physio at the minute either :( :(

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I Do have a foam roller , a 'peanut' and a normal rubber ball which all can work.

Some spots ( top of traps for example , front of shins - anterior Tibialis ) are pretty difficult to reach and work with enough intensity.

Where or what muscle groups do you regularly Roll Stew? Is it a reoccurring issue ? or just post exercise?

I generally just use it on my legs. I know some do extensive sessions with them but I'm not disciplined enough. I run with minimalist shoes and if I've had too big of a break between runs, I get a solid calf. Rolling sorts it. Quads can get it too.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
What about a doxi or Hitachi wand? I recently round out they are actually massage devices!

I Do fancy one of those recip style things tho.

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
TeeDee depending on your injury(s) I really recommend looking up a YT channel called SmashweRx (spelt exactly like that). The creator is fully qualified Dr of Physiotherapy in the US, a Crossfit Athlete and a Cancer survivor. He gives out loads of information for free on a ton of different social media platforms. Like I say, highly recommended.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Let us know if you find something and how you get on. I need something to get inside my shoulders which is hard to do with a roller and awkward to do my self. No chance of a physio at the minute either :( :(

Hi Dwardo , I did locate and purchase one for £80 - From reading the reviews on Amazon the really cheap ones seem to break for a past time In short order. I couldn't really justify a very expensive unit ( £300 - £400 ) as there are cheaper units available.

I also justified it that £80 is maybe equivalent to Two trips to a Chiropractor/Osteopath/Massage therapist ( although not on par from a skill and training basis ) so anytime used after that is 'money in the bank' so to speak.

Currenlty I'm finding its proving helpful to target a spot on my upper hip / lower back with success - I seem to have a reasonably high pain threshold to massage ( not a challenge - just what ive found ) and always tried to find a massage therapist who can apply ALOT of downward thumb pressure to get the job done - wives/girlfriends/friends may well lack the required force and strength in their finger tips to apply it often enough.

Overall I'm impressed and giving it the thumbs up but I am a bit of a massage fan , I could quite happily be kneaded like dough every day of my life ! I guess it will depend on how long the unit lasts before failing.

As mentioned elsewhere I do already own a Foam Roller ( I tend to find that a bit of a faff ) , a Peanut Roller ( useful for down the back ) and a hard rubber ball ( the best thing Ive found ) to locate and release trigger points - The Massage gun give an advantage that you can apply massage yourself ( if reachable ) and it allows you to target difficult to reach muscle groups with the other equipment - Top of Traps , Searratus , Upper Pecs etc.

If you have the spare cash I suggest trying it.

PS. You maybe tempted to massage your neck muscles - this is fine , but please stop before you reach your skull as I've found that a reciprocating jack hammer on your skull will make your vision going funny!! hth

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Hi Dwardo , I did locate and purchase one for £80 - From reading the reviews on Amazon the really cheap ones seem to break for a past time In short order. I couldn't really justify a very expensive unit ( £300 - £400 ) as there are cheaper units available.

I also justified it that £80 is maybe equivalent to Two trips to a Chiropractor/Osteopath/Massage therapist ( although not on par from a skill and training basis ) so anytime used after that is 'money in the bank' so to speak.

Currenlty I'm finding its proving helpful to target a spot on my upper hip / lower back with success - I seem to have a reasonably high pain threshold to massage ( not a challenge - just what ive found ) and always tried to find a massage therapist who can apply ALOT of downward thumb pressure to get the job done - wives/girlfriends/friends may well lack the required force and strength in their finger tips to apply it often enough.

Overall I'm impressed and giving it the thumbs up but I am a bit of a massage fan , I could quite happily be kneaded like dough every day of my life ! I guess it will depend on how long the unit lasts before failing.

As mentioned elsewhere I do already own a Foam Roller ( I tend to find that a bit of a faff ) , a Peanut Roller ( useful for down the back ) and a hard rubber ball ( the best thing Ive found ) to locate and release trigger points - The Massage gun give an advantage that you can apply massage yourself ( if reachable ) and it allows you to target difficult to reach muscle groups with the other equipment - Top of Traps , Searratus , Upper Pecs etc.

If you have the spare cash I suggest trying it.

PS. You maybe tempted to massage your neck muscles - this is fine , but please stop before you reach your skull as I've found that a reciprocating jack hammer on your skull will make your vision going funny!! hth

Thanks for that. I may have to give one a go.

In regards to massage I am the polar opposite, a complete wuss :) When desperate and my shoulders and back are crunching and popping or my trap goes into lock-down I sometimes end up in Namoon Thai massage in Chester. Truly is amazing how a lass thats 4ft and a fag-end can near break bone with just her thumbs.. :oops:

I have resistance bands which are helping a little and also a pull-up bar for just hanging off which seems to be another possible cure. The issue is my hobbies are all rubbish for shoulder health, my trade is IT so keyboard rolled shoulders, whittling and wood-work/crafts the same and top it of with probably 7 hours of Karate a week.. When it gets bad the worst part is if I trip or or something rolls of the desk and i jump to grab it,,,,Crikey the pain in the font of my shoulders is like someone stiletto knifing my shoulder to the bone :sick:

I suppose my increasing years also doesn't help any.

But enough moaning and thanks for your post I shall do some more research but crikey is the shoulder one seriously complicated bit of kit! :) Will also try find one of those torture devices for around that kind of cash,

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thanks for that. I may have to give one a go.

In regards to massage I am the polar opposite, a complete wuss :) When desperate and my shoulders and back are crunching and popping or my trap goes into lock-down I sometimes end up in Namoon Thai massage in Chester. Truly is amazing how a lass thats 4ft and a fag-end can near break bone with just her thumbs.. :oops:

I have resistance bands which are helping a little and also a pull-up bar for just hanging off which seems to be another possible cure. The issue is my hobbies are all rubbish for shoulder health, my trade is IT so keyboard rolled shoulders, whittling and wood-work/crafts the same and top it of with probably 7 hours of Karate a week.. When it gets bad the worst part is if I trip or or something rolls of the desk and i jump to grab it,,,,Crikey the pain in the font of my shoulders is like someone stiletto knifing my shoulder to the bone :sick:

I suppose my increasing years also doesn't help any.

But enough moaning and thanks for your post I shall do some more research but crikey is the shoulder one seriously complicated bit of kit! :) Will also try find one of those torture devices for around that kind of cash,

After hearing what you do and where the pain is I'd suggest you look into Muscular Imbalance as you seem to do all of your upper body movements in the sagittal plane , this can time ( especially with desk work ) lead to a rounding of the shoulders creating problems with posture and the muscles to the shoulder girdle.

Muscular Imbalance is literally ( Duhhh! ) about the balance between opposing muscles groups so I would suggest you look inti exercising and strengthening the muscles on the posterior chain ( basically any muscle that allows us to straighten the Spine and adduct the arms in a backwards position.

Reactions: dwardo

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've been looking into these, we have a couple of plug in massage tools, I think the main difference between the older types and the newer ones is that one vibrates and one is percussion. The vibrating one can be great, the percussion can generally get a lot deeper into the muscle. Mark Oriel who I go and see when I've injured something uses a pro one and it's a completely different experience from the twin and single head vibrating ones, it's more a deep pummelling.
With the one type it seems to be the vibrating speed etc and the other depth and speed of percussion.

I've not got one because they're just to much money, but having had one used on me I think they're generally far superior

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE