Star gazing books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rich d2

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2019
Nottingham
Hi guys does anyone have any recommendations for a book on star gazing that also has the stories/myths/legends behind them. I did a quick google search and there seem to be an amazingly large amount - I wondered if anyone had one they could recommend.
Cheers Rich

Reactions: William_Montgomery
Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
I've not read it, but heard 'The Starlore Handbook' by Geoffrey Cornelius is good. I think it goes into the mythology and the stories of various cultures.
I bought somebody 'The Sky Atlas' by Edward Brooke-Hitching which seemed to go down quite well too.

It doesn't go into the mythology side of things, so might not be what you're after but, 'The Cambridge Star Atlas' is a great book to find your way around the night sky... especially if you're a bit of a cartophile (if that's the word). The Collins yearly 'Guide to the Night Sky' books are great too, but again, maybe not what you're looking for.

Reactions: rich d2

Pattree

Jul 19, 2023
UK
Not what you are looking for but……

I’m a Story teller. Sometimes I tell out doors at night. That’s when I want a story about what’s in the sky above our heads.

My start point is a star atlas app on my phone to see what will be about on the day. Then look up the legend of how they got up there. I have looked up the Asian constellations and their stories before now.

Reactions: rich d2 and nigelp
Dec 29, 2022
East Suffolk
Found a book on the bookshelf called 'They Dance in the Sky' by Jean Guard Monroe and Ray A. Williamson. It goes into the native American mytholgy of the stars. Might be worth checking out.

Reactions: rich d2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE