Shotguns - where to sell (Kent)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Hi all, thought I would ask the collective.

I have a number of shotguns, and I really don't use them. Years ago if I was in the mindset I am now, I would have taken them to woolgrowers in Ashford for them to sell....of which is long gone.

For those of you that shoot, where do you buy and sell your guns? Looking at the Kent area, or just into East Sussex.

Cheers gra

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
At Ashford market there used to be gun dealer. But no idea if he still attends or if the market even survived covid.
There also used to be gun dealer in Cranbrook.
I believe there still is in West Malling.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
My local hunting shooting and fishing shop will buy guns, air rifles, and fly fishing rods .maybe if there is a similar shoo near you, that would be a good place as they also deal with any nessasary paperwork.(I don't own anything other than an air rifle, so not too sure on the paperwork bit, but I'd assume there is)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

I have a number of shotguns, and I really don't use them. Years ago if I was in the mindset I am now, I would have taken them to woolgrowers in Ashford for them to sell....of which is long gone.

For those of you that shoot, where do you buy and sell your guns? Looking at the Kent area, or just into East Sussex.

Cheers gra

Ashford Gun Room is still open:

Unit 8 - New Street Farm
Chilmington Green Road
Kent - TN23 3DL

Reactions: gra_farmer

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I tend to use a localish shop. It may well depend on what you're selling. If it's something special or rare then a private listing on one of the gun selling web sites may be worth while, or a free listing on something like Pigeonwatch.

Down here at least, if it's something not worth much then RFDs are not interested as quite a few people have given up shooting due, in part, to licensing delays and the probable lead shot ban.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Countryway Gun Shop, West Malling is my local go to but don't expect a great price if you're selling.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
Unless they’re proofed with a fleur de lys or the European CIP counterpart you may as well forget trying to sell them. What was a four or five hundred pound gun a couple of years ago sells at auction for a tenner (then the auction will take a lotting fee and commission leaving you about £2.50)
Anything that is not proofed for steel has been devalued.
I’m in the same boat with my Mossberg pump action…worthless

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE

Cheers gra
There's a little gun shop in Dunkirk that might be interested, or there's Wilson's in Thanet, that's the only two I use but I am pretty far east

Sent from underground

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Unless they’re proofed with a fleur de lys or the European CIP counterpart you may as well forget trying to sell them. What was a four or five hundred pound gun a couple of years ago sells at auction for a tenner (then the auction will take a lotting fee and commission leaving you about £2.50)
Anything that is not proofed for steel has been devalued.
I’m in the same boat with my Mossberg pump action…worthless

I don't think it's as bad as that to be honest. Anything proofed after 1954 will be OK shooting standard steel; only high-performance loads need the Fleur de Lys proof. Older guns, muzzleloaders and Damascus barrel guns can shoot bismuth.

Full discussion here:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
This is what I was alluding to. There's quite a few 2nd hand guns being sold and it's a buyers market. Something cheap and common may not sell at all, something worth a bit more and less common may sell for a bit less but people will still buy them and put standard steel or something more expensive through them. I will.

Many non-high performance steel proofed guns will happily cope with it and again if you can pick one up cheaply it's worth the risk.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
There's a little gun shop in Dunkirk that might be interested, or there's Wilson's in Thanet, that's the only two I use but I am pretty far east

Sent from underground
Where is the one in Dunkirk, and Thanet? I am in Faversham so quite close.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
This is what I was alluding to. There's quite a few 2nd hand guns being sold and it's a buyers market. Something cheap and common may not sell at all, something worth a bit more and less common may sell for a bit less but people will still buy them and put standard steel or something more expensive through them. I will.

Many non-high performance steel proofed guns will happily cope with it and again if you can pick one up cheaply it's worth the risk.
I have a long barrel side by side Army & Navy that is very collectable. A work of art really, but I never use it.

gg012

Sep 23, 2022
SE
Where is the one in Dunkirk, and Thanet? I am in Faversham so quite close.
Kent Gunsmiths Limited
Address:
London Rd, Dunkirk, Kent England, ME13 9LL
Phone
01227 752680
Mobile
07415 406818

Wilson and Wilson
Telegraph Hill
Minster
01843 822242

Sent from underground

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
I don't think it's as bad as that to be honest. Anything proofed after 1954 will be OK shooting standard steel; only high-performance loads need the Fleur de Lys proof. Older guns, muzzleloaders and Damascus barrel guns can shoot bismuth.

Full discussion here:

As long as the barrel isn’t choked any tighter than half then yes, it will shoot standard steel but that doesn't mean it’s proofed for steel giving it a correspondingly low resale value… Unless it’s a high quality gun it probably isn’t worth the RFD’s time doing the paper work and giving it cabinet space for what they’re going to make off it. As far as using bismuth goes I’m not able to get the B or BB shot, most of it seems to be sold in number 7 shot. What I do have is a cupboard full of lead shot shells that it will take me years to get through.. unless they offer a buy back scheme I will be using it up.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
Kent wool growers, that’s a blast from the past from me, bought my first double S/S, baikal 430 ne, which I still own today, in the days of the old paper licence.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE