Martindale golok vs Tora kukri (heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
A trip to the woods this morning to try out the Martindale # 2 golok. I needed to clear a bit more scrub, willow and alder that has grown in and along a ditch and also cut myself a few hazel poles for stringing up some camo netting for my badger watching antics.

I have spent a fair amount of time putting an edge on the golok as out of the box it was dull. It took longer to get a good edge that it had on my kuk.I must add that I am no expert but have been pleased with what I've achieved with the kukri.

The golok felt good in the hand and nicely balanced, I have used the kuk a few times and find the sharp angles (the gold diamond shape) at the bottom of the handles uncomfortable as it digs into my hand after constant use.
Unfortunately the golok struggled on 2" poles where the kuk will go through with one well aimed sweep, removing the branches of the cut poles was no problem for either.
After twenty minutes it became clear that for 1" - 3" poles the kukri was far superior.

On to the hazel and these were good stools that I wanted to conserve. The kukri easily removed 1"- 1.5" nice and cleanly but again the golok struggled and required me to clean up afterwards with the saw. Once cut the hazel was limbed, cut to size and one end sharpened. Once more the kukri was a clear winner.
Finally I thought I'd do a few feather sticks, no prob for the kuk, the golok struggled.

Conclusion. Perhaps its my sharpening technique but the golok has not lived up to its expectations. Any hints?

Nice sunrise
P1010504.jpg

Example of what I was clearing.
P1010517.jpg

The golok struggled to cut cleanly
P1010514.jpg

Branches no problem
P1010516.jpg

The kukri cuts very cleanly
P1010526.jpg

Feather stcks no probs for kukri
P1010534.jpg

The Tora British Army Issue is a clear winner
P1010528.jpg

Some roe dung or fewmets
P1010537.jpg

A trail I cut a few years ago is now used by Red, Roe and Muntjac on a regular basis
P1010540.jpg

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I've read some good reports on here and wondered if it a case of re profiling or better sharpening technique?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A real, quality golok or parang really needs a draw cut to work well - it quite a skill!

Personally, I have no time for the Martindale version - a tree beater as w00dsmoke says. Its a momentum issue - not enough forward weight on too short a blade. To make a light blade work, it needs to be longer with a heavier forward balance and cut in the draw motion. Try a Valiantco parang or golok and see how well they work.

All that said - a good kuk' with a handle large enough for wetern hands (try ToraToraTora) would be hard to beat for the task you have in mind. You are welcome to a lend of my Newton Bill Hook if you want to try one?

Red

if you havent already resharpen the Kukri to a convex grind and give it a good polish
then take a little time to get used to it again :eek:

i have a large pattern one that fits my large western hands (over size handle) and it was good with the std grind its now awsomely efficent

ATB

Duncan

leon-1

I've read some good reports on here and wondered if it a case of re profiling or better sharpening technique?

There are a couple of reasons that the Kukri won, firstly the Kukri has a better grind angle as the Martindale has quite a steep grind angle. Secondly the Kukri probably is harder than the Martindale as the Martindale is probably only about Rc 54 / 55.

Re-profile it and convex the edge, that way it holds an edge better, it will make a considerable difference.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'm in the process of re-profiling the dge of mine as it's nowhere near steep enough - the handle is very uncomfy, so I'm doing it again in black canvas micarta to boot.

I'll see how it goes then.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
A real, quality golok or parang really needs a draw cut to work well - it quite a skill!

Personally, I have no time for the Martindale version - a tree beater as w00dsmoke says. Its a momentum issue - not enough forward weight on too short a blade. To make a light blade work, it needs to be longer with a heavier forward balance and cut in the draw motion. Try a Valiantco parang or golok and see how well they work.

All that said - a good kuk' with a handle large enough for wetern hands (try ToraToraTora) would be hard to beat for the task you have in mind. You are welcome to a lend of my Newton Bill Hook if you want to try one?

Red

Red I think youre right about the forward weight. The golok just seemed to bounce off whereas the kuk (with a good aim which I don't achieve every time) powers through.
I may take you up on that bill hook, thanks.

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
Compared to my HI khukuris the Golok is pretty useless in limbing/chopping tasks. Take a file to the golok and start putting a higher ground edge edge on it. The basic edge grind from the factory is pretty badly done and way too steep. I'm still working on mine off and on.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE