March Brockwell meet 19/20

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
he'll be alright for comforts, the metrocentre is just a few miles down the hill and there's a few offies in whickham.lol.

haha. so when we get a bit hungry we nip down for a KFC... lol i may need more rum from an offie!

I made a sheath for my tomahawk with duct taoe and electrical tape in about an hour while watching dads army! theres about 8 layers of tape on all edges and the paracord holds it sturdy.. it probably cost me 40p to make.

As you can tell the 35 litre BCB daysack isnt made for such loads! im looking at a tasmanian tiger 60lt!

The sleeping bag takes up 70% of the 35 litres! its a big boy but so warm and huge its worth every broken vertibrate

i got my kit packed up with all the item from the list. heres the piccys.
IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

IMAG0531.jpg

IMAG0530.jpg

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
What's Food for Free like? Saw it on Amazon the other day.

its a classic mate,...obviously the little one has a draw for the size of it,..but i have a "shelved one" too 3 times the size,,

it covers a wide spread of plants, roots, fungi and shellfish,.

i,d recomend it,...

it contains a forageing guide based on whats availabl,e monthly too,...

its always in me pocket so your quite welcome to borrow it at brockwell.

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
id say buy the Food For Free book too..... its not exspencive if you get the pocket guide around £5 delivered.......

the "Evil Bay" do it mate...

chris..

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
i must just say i love this thread, its so random, its good to see people just being able to talk to each other......

regards...

chris.

You're right, it's drifted a little OT. I think it's more of a chatroom now, but I don't think anyone minds though.

Just had a look on fleabay and found a new copy for £3.89 with free delivery. It should be here before brockers too.

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
haha. so when we get a bit hungry we nip down for a KFC... lol i may need more rum from an offie!

I made a sheath for my tomahawk with duct taoe and electrical tape in about an hour while watching dads army! theres about 8 layers of tape on all edges and the paracord holds it sturdy.. it probably cost me 40p to make.

As you can tell the 35 litre BCB daysack isnt made for such loads! im looking at a tasmanian tiger 60lt!

The sleeping bag takes up 70% of the 35 litres! its a big boy but so warm and huge its worth every broken vertibrate

i got my kit packed up with all the item from the list. heres the piccys.
IMAG0530.jpg

IMAG0532.jpg

IMAG0531.jpg

IMAG0530.jpg

whats the weights for never seen them used in bushcraft before lol think you may lose the light weight comp

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Food for Free is good. There were a few surprises in there for me. I really want to make rosehip tea and see what that's like. I didn't know what they were called til recently. I just knew them as "Itchy-backs" from school days. Ah, the memories. I was gonna bring mine along with "Trees" which is the same type of thing.

I don't know what it's like further south but there doesn't seem to be much growth around these parts yet. I might have to do a solo trip next month to see what Brockers has to offer in full bloom.

I have a feeling that when I go to pack I will be missing something vital. Maybe its just the moon boots I'm thinkin of.

What am I forgetting!? TELL ME!!!!

andyc54

Settler
Dec 28, 2010
durham
i think there only 6kg each lol im not doing the lightweight comp maybe next time..

haha thought they were for hunting,just throw them at rabbits or squirals for dinner :lmao:.i dont think i'll get awards for lightweight i'm going for comfort rather than extreme for my first meet/bushcraft night out ever.

that food for free is a great little book had one for at least 5 years always with me even when just out walking the dog

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
haha thought they were for hunting,just throw them at rabbits or squirals for dinner :lmao:.i dont think i'll get awards for lightweight i'm going for comfort rather than extreme for my first meet/bushcraft night out ever.

that food for free is a great little book had one for at least 5 years always with me even when just out walking the dog

yeah lol.. i like to carry as much i as feel comfortable on my shoulders... on my first camp thread i took about 3 stone of stuff. We were dropped off maybe 300m from the site we had researched so that journey was easy but getting the pickup point 5 miles away the pack felt a little heavy lol ( its 30% of my body weight!)

This time the fantastic raikey has offered us up a lift so no major walking! Therefore without the risk of police searches the tomahawk is tagging along!

Btw im taking the weights to hold my groundsheet down.. i thnk they'll do?

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
..Just the list again if anyone wants to add..

HarrogateTobias
Hun7er ( my mate sam)
Lannyman8 +2
Raikey
Minstrel
Toiletdigger
andyc54
chambers
Northumbian
chrisr

unorthadox
joely
merrygold85
jack daniels

gurnoid
dd66

chris_r

Nomad
Dec 28, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Is there an RV arranged for the Saturday morning?

Been watching the 10 day forecast and it's taken a turn for the better. A couple of days ago it was 60% chance of rain across the whole weekend. Now it's down to 20% with showers forecast for the Sunday afternoon. Hope it turns out alright.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
good news on the weather then, im getting there early mate, i want to be there for the latest 09:00hrs... more like 07:30-08:00 would be better..

i need to sort the lads out before i get set up, i also need to get the forge setup etc, we started late the last time, it takes a good while to get the forge coked up and ready for bashing metal.....

will be doing demo's Sat sarvo, forging Sat night and demos Sun morning...

regards.

chris...

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
when people get there follow the main track down, keep right and just stay on the track just keep going, there is a big beach tree on the right hand side, keep going a bit further, when the track moves to the left thats the area id like to be in, on the right hand side, if you come to the brook you have gone to far, turn round and walk back through the wooded area you just went past....

hope you sort of understand what i mean......

chris.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
So what happens when we arrive there?
do we need to see the owner before going to set up?

**edit** ignore the post, just had my questions answered :)

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
hey guys just been reading the posts and wanted to make a few maps with annotations.. they may be inaccurate because i am going off my perception from lanny's description. Please tell me if i am wrong! hope these help!

I stole this pick from the Chris thread (not my pic)
Ignore the red star... its an encoding error
brockwell.png

Brockweelmap.png

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE