March Brockwell meet 19/20

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
*****************************WARNING PROVISIONAL DATES ONLY****************************

ok after alot of interest in the next meet i have made "rough" dates for the Brockwell Woods weekend

19th and 20th of March are the rough dates, they may how ever CHANGE near the time.......

as normal all are welcome, just so you know the kids are with me for this one, and maybe a mate from work....

the list of things to do is:

bow drill
flint & steel
char cloth
chemical fire lighting
selection of tinders
flint napping
game prep (if i can get some bunnies)
if i can get some steel a bit of forging (maybe)

all people are welcome to teach, share, do a talk or just lay in bed all day, im easy and open to anything, as long as the wood rules are not broken, bring your own food and basic kit......

as normal ask any questions and i will get back to you ASAP.

look forward to seeing you all there.......:),

Chris..........

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
Just looked in me diary,..and,..........

i,m in,....!!!!!

you spoke to Rich?...Both of em!!? hahaha

looking forward to this one,....

pole lathe anyone??,....i,m gonna do some reading, bring an old gouge and have a play wi some green wood,...:):):):):)

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Of course Im in, so thats the basic quad of us, now just got to get some others. I'll also try and have a think of some to do things I can provide

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
i can bring loads of signal crayfish too!!!

if anyone has a better recipe than mine they get a prize,....

hahah

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
thinking about it, we really do need to do the forging to finish the blades we started, and ermmmmm huh armmmmm coz we can!!!!!!!!!

more blades, whhooooooooooooo........

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
sounds good......

crayfish, do you know how long i have been looking for those blooomin things up here, (i would get a licence of course)

you lucky bugger......

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
sounds good......

crayfish, do you know how long i have been looking for those blooomin things up here, (i would get a licence of course)

you lucky bugger......

haha yer never mentioined it mucker,....!!!

i should destroy them on the bank (part of the ticket conditions)

but theyre just too tasty ,....

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
[QUOTEhaha yer never mentioined it mucker,....!!!

i should destroy them on the bank (part of the ticket conditions)[/QUOTE]

me, your on about me, the make it brew it bushcraft master.....lol

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
*****************************WARNING PROVISIONAL DATES ONLY****************************

ok after alot of interest in the next meet i have made "rough" dates for the Brockwell Woods weekend

19th and 20th of March are the rough dates, they may how ever CHANGE near the time.......

as normal all are welcome, just so you know the kids are with me for this one, and maybe a mate from work....

the list of things to do is:

bow drill
flint & steel
char cloth
chemical fire lighting
selection of tinders
flint napping
game prep (if i can get some bunnies)
if i can get some steel a bit of forging (maybe)

all people are welcome to teach, share, do a talk or just lay in bed all day, im easy and open to anything, as long as the wood rules are not broken, bring your own food and basic kit......

as normal ask any questions and i will get back to you ASAP.

look forward to seeing you all there.......:),

Chris..........

Hi i'd like to come to get some experience but it will be my first bushcraft meetup, previously ive only ever done weekends with friends and done basic stuff.

Are there any rules and reccomendations (i.e no knives, open fires etc),

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Its the knives and open fires that make it fun.

Nah its pretty much just the usual sensibilites, get yourself along mate you will learn a boat load and its always nice to meet others with the same interests

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Its the knives and open fires that make it fun.

Nah its pretty much just the usual sensibilites, get yourself along mate you will learn a boat load and its always nice to meet others with the same interests

That's what im on about though, i don't know what the 'usual' sensibilities are. Some threads on this site seem to be very concerned about damaging the environment so using no wood or small amounts of dead wood. Whilst the other 'extreme' is seeing elaborate shelters built with tonnes of wood.

To give u an idea ill list a couple of questions

What options do we have for sleeping, ie tents, hammocks, building shelters with wood, tarp etc

Do we have open fires? if so are there multiple small ones or a single larger one

lannyman also says he will be having the kids with him which leads me to wonder if he is uncomfartable with everyone using knives and axes (or prehaps leaving them out in the open where the kids can get hold of them)

What would probly be best is if someone whom has been on one of these meetups before to list their kit they will bring, which will probly answer most of my questions

Thanks in advance :)

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
Generally you keep your kit together so sharps that you are using will be one you, others will be in or with your gear but knowing Chris, his kids will be sensible and obviously know about safety etc.

The fire last time was a communal one and then a few were set up a bit closer to shelters.

Last time 2 of us were in hammock and tarp and the other 2 were in poncho/basha shelters, both are suitable but a tent isnt so much. If you dont have sleeping kit just let us know and Im sure between us we could come up with some to lend you for the meet.

As for the wood its dead wood only up here, no cutting down of any tree but there is plenty of standing wood. Natural shelters really would impact the surroundings at this time of year I think just with nothing being in full growth yet.

If you wanted to meet up for a quick wander somewhere either up your way or down here and just go over what few basics I know just let me know. Nothing to worry about at these meets as everyone is really friendly and welcoming

Any other queries just ask matey

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
Generally you keep your kit together so sharps that you are using will be one you, others will be in or with your gear but knowing Chris, his kids will be sensible and obviously know about safety etc.

The fire last time was a communal one and then a few were set up a bit closer to shelters.

Last time 2 of us were in hammock and tarp and the other 2 were in poncho/basha shelters, both are suitable but a tent isnt so much. If you dont have sleeping kit just let us know and Im sure between us we could come up with some to lend you for the meet.

As for the wood its dead wood only up here, no cutting down of any tree but there is plenty of standing wood. Natural shelters really would impact the surroundings at this time of year I think just with nothing being in full growth yet.

If you wanted to meet up for a quick wander somewhere either up your way or down here and just go over what few basics I know just let me know. Nothing to worry about at these meets as everyone is really friendly and welcoming

Any other queries just ask matey

Ive got all the kit i need (i think) but thanks for the offer :)

normally i build a-frame shelters so i dont use tents or bashas, ive got plenty tarp i can use though

ex-member Raikey

Sep 4, 2010
yep ,..same here,...

as for kit,...

warm clothes
something to sleep in/under
something to eat (Chambers set up a dutch oven last time and it went down well if we plan same bring summat for the pot)
something to drink (we carried 3-4 litres water each last time and theres a brook for washing pots)
something to drink (hahahah, i think its my turn for the booze)
a bag to put it all in

we woke up to snow last time but i reckon (probably shouldnt reckon) by march we shouldnt be looking at minus figures.

maybe PM Merrygold (at the top of this thread), he put together a kit last time from not much, and not only managed but made us proud,..

As said tho,...its just a relaxing place and crowd,. you would be more than welcome.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
something to eat (Chambers set up a dutch oven last time and it went down well if we plan same bring summat for the pot)

I'll happily bring the pot again so we can get cooking a communal dish again

something to drink (hahahah, i think its my turn for the booze)

Ill also bring some booze but I wont be homebrewing yet. Some more of that strawberry vodka wouldnt go a miss again tho if you got some Chris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE