Mangled and abused words and phrases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....but you'd hope that if you're paying hundreds of pounds for a professional sign that someone would proof-read it!

earlier on this year i put up a frame for a sign on the flat roof of my mate's building, as i was fitting the frame the sign writers were getting ready to fit the pre-made sign to the frame. i asked about "color", and "gray" and was informed that they're both the correct spelling because the spellchecker on word said so. i just smiled and walked away

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
The checkout operators at Aldi always ask at the till "Are you paying with cash or card?" My answer "yes" seems to confuse them.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
. Coggle was the last one I used on the forum.

cheers,
M
Coggle...to wobble..strange that one. In Yorkshire we would say "gisa cog to shop" or coggy. Meaning a lift on back of yer push iron. It wouldn't mean the same for a lift on a motor bike as it referred to the swaying motion that would occur as the lad on the front pedaling would have a wobble on due to lad on back ;)

Molly coddle.....now there's a word....or for yor lot that are so uptight...two words :D

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Chisellers signature I look on just as I would one in latin; it's just a kind of neat wee phrase :D I've met him and his missus, I can almost hear him say it now

:grouphug:
Mary

I think I'm right in saying that Chiseller's signature "Git R Dun" (surely "Git'r'dun"? Who knows?) is actually taken from the US comedy character, Larry The Cable Guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtAUsVXB9OU

Something else that gets right on my ti ... er ... nerves is the McDonalds "I'm loving it", which seems to have permeated into everyday conversation.

Having said that, this thread: I'm loving it! Heh heh!

What quite literally grates my soul is when the yoof of today walk round with their hands down the front of their TROUSERS (not pants, thank you very much!) trying to talk like black gangsters. Ali G was amusing when he first appeared on our screens, but it seems he may have strated off an epidemic of wannabes...

armie

Life Member
Jul 10, 2009
The Netherlands
The little phrase, "What can't change, dies.", is as relevant to language as it is to living creatures and plants.
That's a saying that will never die! :)

"I was like (...)"
No, you were not like. You said or you thought.
The Dutch version - "Ik had zoiets van" - means even less.

"Defiantly"
That is definitely - see that word? - too wrong to be called a spelling error.

Of course there are many things I just don't understand... if "All is not well", then nothing is well, right? But it means "Not all is well." It's normal English, but things like that regularly trip me up :)

Last edited:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
ASDA royally nark me off with their incorrect usage of the apostrophe, it is CDs you muppets, not; CD's, just for good measure there is also Tesco:

tesco-error.jpg

:soapbox:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Content is not the same as form. How does speaking a different language give a different perspective? I do not deny that the exercise of learning another dying language is useful as an academic discipline or as some nostalgic hobby.

Because language gives an insight into what's important to a culture. For example the Eskimo have multiple words that all mean "snow" but each one denotes a different type of snow: a wet snow, a blowing snow, a packed snow, etc. because that's obviously important to their culture. Likewise many Mille Eastern languages have multiple words for sandstorms or winds because it's important to their culture. So what does the English lanquage (and other European languages) similarly reflect as important to our culture? Bourbon, scotch, tequila, rum, wine, beer, brandy, etc. All different words denoting different types of alcoholic beverages.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
People not understanding the difference between 'sat' & 'sitting' and "stood' & 'standing'.

It's 'I was standing' or 'I stood', not 'I was stood'!...

Unless you were "stood up." As in, I was supposed to have a date but was stood up."

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
earlier on this year i put up a frame for a sign on the flat roof of my mate's building, as i was fitting the frame the sign writers were getting ready to fit the pre-made sign to the frame. i asked about "color", and "gray" and was informed that they're both the correct spelling because the spellchecker on word said so. i just smiled and walked away

Those are the correct spellings over here now. "Color" was the correct spelling at least as far back as when my grandparents learned over a century ago. "Gray" on the other hand is more a more recent evolution (since I left school) It would appear that the spell checking function was written by an American company, or for an American market.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think I'm right in saying that Chiseller's signature "Git R Dun" (surely "Git'r'dun"? Who knows?) is actually taken from the US comedy character, Larry The Cable Guy: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtAUsVXB9OU

Something else that gets right on my ti ... er ... nerves is the McDonalds "I'm loving it", which seems to have permeated into everyday conversation.

Having said that, this thread: I'm loving it! Heh heh!

"Git R done" as used by Larry the cable guy should be spelled "Git 'er done" as it's a colloquial contraction for "Get her done."

The mcDonald's phrase isn't really "permeating" everyday conversation but rather was taken from current everyday speech.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE