Mangled and abused words and phrases

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ah, well, that's the context. We use all of those as particular 'types' of rain. That the words are used as adjectives elsewhere doesn't preclude them being rains.
Smirr is fine, fine, but soaks through, haar is the air filled with wet mist that leaves everything sodden, teeming is so heavy but with no wind behind it, it just comes down upon us and once it's on, it's on :rolleyes:
Stoating on the other hand is the kind of heavy rain that falls with force behind it enough to bounce it off the roads and roofs. Dreich is the grey overcast wet that doesn't need a brolly but will leave you damp all the same.
Bucketing is so much rain that it's as though the heavens are sending us bucketloads, usually a deluge but not persistant.
Spitting rain is just the little spots, just there and no much more.
Drookit is a double, I admit. One may end up drookit, but drookit is the surprise kind that soaks the hair and runs down the back of the neck, leaves a body cold and miserable. Wringing wet though doesn't have the same edge of chill to it, just sodden-ness, iimmc :D

M

p.s. cold and wet and walking splashily through the wet mud.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
now toddy words and especially frases facinate me due to many modern frases come from navel terms

for instantance

posh

cant swing a cat in here

let the cat out the bag

dont spill the beens

and there are many more but i just cant think of them right now. Now the reason for the fasination is that i love navel history

Hmmm...don't worry, no one is going to spill the beens here. :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
From my extensive knowledge derived from watching an episode of of QI I now know that "there is not enough room to swing a cat in here" came in to the world before cat-o-nine tailes were invented.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Ah, well, that's the context. We use all of those as particular 'types' of rain. That the words are used as adjectives elsewhere doesn't preclude them being rains...

True enough, but the point of my original post was that if the different types of rain were as important to our culture as the types of snow are to the eskimo, then we wouldn't need adjectives to describe them. They'd have their own separate names.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Santaman, those 'are' types of rain, and seperate words for them.
Och aye is pretty common really, not just among the Gaels.
It's a softly spoken set of vowel sounds used in quiet agreement, not hard sharp as in OCK EYE, but ocheye.

cheers,
M

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Santaman, those 'are' types of rain, and seperate words for them.
Och aye is pretty common really, not just among the Gaels.
It's a softly spoken set of vowel sounds used in quiet agreement, not hard sharp as in OCK EYE, but ocheye.

cheers,
M

Some of them may be Mary (I really don't know the Scottish words although my mother's maiden name was Wallace) but others aren't; teeming, drenching, lashing.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
The one that bugs me, is when the B B C weather men or women say, There is weather coming in. When they should say, There is bad weather coming in , or there is good weather coming in. WEATHER is there all the time, be it good or bad. GRRRR Glad to get that off my chest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE